absolute black chainrings

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
shobo

absolute black chainrings

Post by shobo »

Hi,
Being an absolute fan of Shimano hydro discs, using a cassette larger than 32t may not work well (apparently - the rear mechs compatible with the shifters would struggle) and I am considering Absolute Black 30/46t chainrings, because these are compatible with Shimano 110 PCD 4 arm cranksets. Absolute Black chainrings are oval - now I am aware of the debate that has gone on over oval chainrings over the years - any benefits may not be proven but they have their adherents etc - but has anyone out there experience of the Absolute Black ones ?
I may end up experimenting with these chainrings because the smallest compatible Shimano chainring is 36t.
Or are there other bb / chainset manufacturers that could get me a non-oval 30t small ring.
reohn2

Re: absolute black chainrings

Post by reohn2 »

A 110bcd chainset is to big to take a 30t ring,the smallest ring is 34t or 33t on some.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
shobo

Post by shobo »

agreed reohn2, but Absolute Black's 30/46t pair (they have to be used together) does fit a Shimano 110 4 arm, even though Shimano's smallest (I think) is 36. Absolute Black must have been able to take advantage of their ovalness to make them compatible with Shimano 110 4 arm.
peterb

Post by peterb »

reohn2 wrote:A 110bcd chainset is to big to take a 30t ring,the smallest ring is 34t or 33t on some.

https://absoluteblack.cc/oval-road-chai ... r-110-4bcd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

As you were,my mistake I thought it was a 5 bolt 110bcd c/set :?
Last edited by reohn2 on 1 Sep 2019, 4:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

reohn2 wrote:A 110bcd chainset is to big to take a 30t ring,the smallest ring is 34t or 33t on some.

I wonder if the 30T is bolted to the big ring and doesn't use the 110 BCD bolts at all. I believe TA do something similar.
Edit: No there's a video. It seems it just squeezes it in using special bolts on the 110 BCD.

Will someone buy me these rings for Christmas please. It says I'll be able to climb anything with them!
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

using a cassette larger than 32t may not work well (apparently - the rear mechs compatible with the shifters would struggle)

what shifters are you using ? - as shimanio have been introducing new rear mechs with a greater capacity and maximum cog size. For example 11 spped 105 can not use a mech that supports a 11-34 cassette.
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

Shimano GRX RX812 rear mechs can take up to a 42t rear cassette, I think they're compatible with all of the Shimano hydro disc levers? Certainly all of the 11s ones
shobo

Post by shobo »

Thankyou AndyA and tim-F,
I hadn't considered the option of changing the rear mech - didn't think it was possible. I've always used the 105 medium length.
So, I could use the shimano GRX RX812 rear mech with the shimano XT M8000 11 spd cassette ? Will the latter actually fit on a shimano 11 spd road freehub - as it seems to be used exclusively by mountain bikers. Just read a review that says that MTB cassettes don't do well on road bikes.