Brompton H6L IGH oil lubrication

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LiveFree

Brompton H6L IGH oil lubrication

Postby LiveFree » 3 Sep 2019, 6:17pm

Hello all-

Thanks to a very dear friend of mine, I am the happy owner of a little Brompton H6L. Brucey mentioned to me a while ago that it is possible to lubricate the Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub with oil (they come grease lubricated, I believe.) I seem to remember that Brucey said this could be done by pouring gear oil down the spindle on the side of the hub- I am wondering then, exactly what the procedure is for doing this- and also how much oil it would be wise to drip in, bearing in mind it is quite a small hub-gear?
I am also wondering if good old EP90 gear oil is the stuff for the job?

I guess predominantly this is a question for Brucey, but I figured it might be helpful for others so posted it here.

Happy Cycling :D

Brucey

Re: Brompton H6L IGH oil lubrication

Postby Brucey » 3 Sep 2019, 7:06pm

'a little and often' is best if you plan to use oil long-term. So a few drops ever month or so, as per older SA service instructions. After a year or so you will have 'mostly oil' inside the hub. If you put too much oil in at once, it'll come out and make a mess. EP90 will be fine.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LiveFree

Postby LiveFree » 6 Sep 2019, 12:25pm

Many thanks Brucey- I will give that a go then when I next have a chance to :D

rogerzilla

Postby rogerzilla » 8 Sep 2019, 11:20am

EP oil stinks, assuming it's GL5 and intended for hypoid gears. I use GL4 75W90.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 8 Sep 2019, 11:24am

they both stink don't they? GL4 probably has fewer of the really stinky additives in it but it is still a bit whiffy. …. but I will happily put up with the smell of a few drops of that stuff if it keeps my cogs happy…. :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~