Terry clip oil port cover

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Patrickpioneer

Terry clip oil port cover

Post by Patrickpioneer »

A friend of mine is getting his bike back on the road after it 'resting' in the shed for twenty years!
He asked about the hubs, I said if you don't want to strip them and use grease you could oil them but then you will have to do it every week. So that lead onto older bikes with hub oil ports and the spring clip covers, his idea is to use terry clips which he will punch a dimple into. To me it seems a good idea, opinions please
Pneumant

Re: Terry clip oil port cover

Post by Pneumant »

I have always had this mod on my commuter hack bikes to save on maintenance. Drill a small hole (circa 1.5mm) in the centre of the hub, inject inexpensive free flowing grease using an Oregon chainsaw guide bar grease gun or similiar. Cover hole in hub with a wide enough zip tie, slide it to one side when regreasing.
Brucey

Re: Terry clip oil port cover

Post by Brucey »

good idea, but terry clips are kind of hard, and may well crack when dimpled. Do you need a dimple?

BITD you could buy suitable clips; for example I fitted a set of Normandy hubs with oil port covers from campagnolo nuovo record hubs; these days the covers are worth more than the hubs!

I have used sticky tape to cover lube ports; a few turns means that the tape can always be snug, since it is sticking to itself, not the oily hub.

FWIW you can use SFG (semi-fluid grease) in most hubs, but without seals it will probably come out too quickly, in which case a thicker grease is liable to be better. You don't need much pressure to introduce SFG, but it is certainly easier to do so if you use a grease gun.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~