How Old is Your Trangia ..

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
landsurfer

How Old is Your Trangia ..

Post by landsurfer »

I bought mine in 1982.
Was on the RAF Leuchars Mountain Rescue Team and it was a popular bit of kit.
Mine came with me to the Falklands, and back ... and back again ...
It's now 37 years old.
Not a month goes by without it being put to use .....

I have the original burner, and a spare, the frying pan has corrosion so is only used as a plate these days or lined with tinfoil to cook eggs, and i have a small Coleman gas burner I use instead of the meths burner during the summer months. It fits perfectly inside the Trangia structure and fits inside the packed stove.

37 years of totally reliable use in the highest mountains, on the valley trails, nights in snow holes and family picnics.

Life saver, party maker ... Faultless kit !!
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
jb

Re: How Old is Your Trangia ..

Post by jb »

Definitely a timeless classic of the stove world though I always found them hard to cook with if you weren't simply boiling stuff. Great when combined with a Primus stove as you needed to carry pans & meths anyway.
Cheers
J Bro
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

Mine's about the same age. First trip I can remember it accompanying me on was a transcontinental crossing of Australia in 1982.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Nice thread.

We bought our Trangia in 1979 for a 6 week cycling trip from Roscoff to Santander. Since then the strap has been replaced, the rubber seal in the lid is missing (but we never keep meths in the burner so not an issue) and we bought a kettle that fits neatly inside the pots: that’s it, otherwise original and still going strong. We bought the lightweight stand the other year which we sometimes use instead of the usual storm shield for lightweight camping, and we now have the natty and very useful Trangia fuel bottle. The Trangia doubles as a spare cooker in our campervan in case we have problems with gas although I like setting up the Trangia anyway to boil a kettle for our morning pot of coffee. I like the simplicity, the lack of smell, the silent operation: if you spill fuel inside the tent, not a problem. We have regularly cooked inside the flysheet with the Trangia which, while not a recommendation, is not something I would do these days with either gas or petrol. One other observation about Trangia: the kettle actually pours properly!
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
Caledonia64

Post by Caledonia64 »

Early 90s I think.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I only bought mine last year :oops:

I went for the Duossal pans.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I've multiple stoves (I like gadgets!)
Don't find alcholol burners good as too slow and not enough heat.

If it's for coffee, you can't beat a Jetboil, esp is you've the coffee filter thing.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Mine was a 21st birthday present from my big brother.

I was 53 a few days ago.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I very regularly use my Trangia kettle and pot on the gas stove at home.

The fact that they are up to this shows me that they are quality items.

Someone many years ago told me they were "old fashioned" - long may such old fashioned stuff continue.

It is also very rare these days for products to be composed of parts that are all readily available as spares.

Which effectively makes them lifetime products.

More strength to them.

As many have pointed out, the relatively slow speed of operation is not a problem.

Hell, if that's a problem, you wouldn't be on a bike in the first place.
Sweep
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Mine is from 1983 I think. Was at university and got into climbing and that sort of stuff. On trips I'd seen enough of the faff that others went through lighting other stoves, like tubes of paste to heat up burners, spurts of burning petrol ejecting from a burner and a fire on a park bench! The Trangia just worked safely, the worse the weather the better it seemed to perform.

Thought we had lost it about 3 years ago, just couldn't find it. So with a bike trip coming up with one of my daughters we got a new one as a pressie for her. Luckily mine was found months later. I have replaced the burner and got stainless steel pans a long time ago which I love.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I've had my Trangia 27 since 1989 and still use it regularly. Over the years I've upgraded to a non stick frying pan and a hard anodized inner pan. I recently took the plunge and bought a new lower windshield with the hole for a gas burner. I'm really pleased with the gas burner - it's so controllable, totally stable, unaffected by wind and really fast (if that matters to you).
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
tooley92

Post by tooley92 »

I have a few, the oldest bought new in about 1987.

A true design classic.
Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'
drossall

Post by drossall »

jb wrote:Great when combined with a Primus stove as you needed to carry pans & meths anyway.

My Primus dates from the late 70s. Actually it's a Hippolyta imitation, because I was an impoverished schoolboy who couldn't afford the real thing. Although various parts have since been replaced with genuine Primus ones :D

My Trangia is much more recent.
Last edited by drossall on 13 Sep 2019, 10:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

I now want one and I don’t even camp...
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Mine is used for touring and camping ....
And a trip to the beach with the kids on a Sunday morning ....
A Trangia, some sausages, and a few slices of bread, cooked on the groyne, is an adventure for children ....
Beans and sausages from a tin, cooked on the hill, turns a walk into adventure for them ...

Trangia makes it easy ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.