Brompton chain

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fatboy

Brompton chain

Postby fatboy » 13 Sep 2019, 9:55pm

I'm borrowing a mate's Brompton (2 speed) and it needs a new chain. Brompton do their own chains but is it OK to use a 7-speed/8-speed 3/32 rather than a Brompton bespoke?
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

Brucey

Re: Brompton chain

Postby Brucey » 13 Sep 2019, 10:42pm

yes. IIRC Brompton's own chains are SRAM ones, cut to specific lengths to suit their various models. Presumably if you own a Brompton you can't be expected to shorten a chain like everyone else.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 13 Sep 2019, 10:52pm

Brucey wrote:yes. IIRC Brompton's own chains are SRAM ones, cut to specific lengths to suit their various models. Presumably if you own a Brompton you can't be expected to shorten a chain like everyone else.

cheers

Thought so! To be fair to Bromptons the packaging will be pleasing with old fashioned typed instructions!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

ambodach

Postby ambodach » 14 Sep 2019, 12:40pm

I have to shorten any Brompton chain as my chainring is smaller than standard. Not a problem and gives me a few spare links tho’ I have never needed them.

drossall

Postby drossall » 14 Sep 2019, 10:54pm

It is very important to get chain length right on a Brompton - but just copy the length from the old chain of course.