Pebbledashed Seat Tube Safe to Repair?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
FruitPolo

Pebbledashed Seat Tube Safe to Repair?

Post by FruitPolo »

There is a bike in my local area for sale that I have been very tempted by for a cheap price (money is a bit tight at the minute and i'm missing a bike) however the seat tube has seen some localised meteor showers :shock: and there are some chips and rust spots all over it. The rest of the bike isn't too bad which surprised me. The bike is a specialized roll 2 and if people think it probably isn't structural, I will either strip all the paint back and repaint it or just touch up the seat tube after removing the rust. But my question is do you believe the rust is bad enough that structural weaknesses are likely or is it just on the surface and some cleaning up will be okay. I'm not massively knowledgeable about bikes (enough to do some maintenance) but have a background in fabrication which is why I need the opinion of others.
Thanks a lot!
David9694

Re: Pebbledashed Seat Tube Safe to Repair?

Post by David9694 »

If that’s the extent of it, looks fine to me.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
the snail

Post by the snail »

Looks fine to me, but I'd have a good look at the more critical areas, like around the bottom bracket and fork crown. Also worth seeing if the seat post will move.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I think the main problem is ... does the rear wheel actually go round ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

blimey, if a few chips in the paint like that is a worry then I shouldn't be riding several of my bikes.... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
If that's all there is to offer, I would look around for some better examples, unless you think it's got an antique worth?
Look for some bikes with more paint on the frame.
Does it have to be a road bike?
And MTB would get you going with some slicks on it
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

It depends what the asking price is, if it's less than £50 then the 'bangernomics' may make sense, as in buy cheap and run it into the ground. Those little paint chips would probably not be an issue for ten years so might not even be relevant to the decision as long as the price is right.

Looks like it might be a singlespeed/fixed gear? If so, replacement chain and sprocket could be had for less than £20 if required. If hte frame is good and straight then other dealkiller for me would be rough hubs that have damaged cups and cones. Bring a spanner, get them out and spin them in your hands.

Not much clearance for a proper mudguard which would put me off if you're planning to use it over the winter?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

2012 'Roll 2' looked like this originally

but different spec (eg brake(s) ) when sold in the UK

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PH

Post by PH »

I've seen a couple of bikes like that, from where people have been careless when locking up, it's just paint damage, nothing to worry about, though I'd be tempted to paint over it.