FSA Mega Exo and FSA Omega Chainset

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DAV_1965

FSA Mega Exo and FSA Omega Chainset

Post by DAV_1965 »

Hi, I have the above via off the peg setup on Giant Toughroad. Pretty sure the BB needs replacing. Can I use a more mainstream Shimano offering or do I need to stick to FSA BB? As I get older 48.32 rings on the Omega become more and more appealing.
Markings on FSA BB are BCI 37 X 24
Any help appreciated

David
Brucey

Re: FSA Mega Exo and FSA Omega Chainset

Post by Brucey »

IIRC some BBs that are marked Mega Exo use cups which accept a 24mm diameter spindle. I think the tolerance on the fit is different (you may need to use a soft hammer to get the FSA spindle through shimano cups) but I've seen it work OK. Not every FSA chainset that you think might use these cups does though, so check/measure caerefully.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DAV_1965

Post by DAV_1965 »

Thanks Brucey. The cost of Tiagra BB means will probably take a punt. Can prob re-cycle to another bike if is a problem for the Giant.
D
RickH

Post by RickH »

My Kona came with a Raceface crankset & BB with a 24mm spindle. After around 500 miles the bearings had play in them (subsequent searching online included reviews with comments like "the bearings are made of cheese"!). LBS fitted a Shimano SM-BB52 which is still running as smoothly as a smooth thing after almost 5000 miles further riding (in all weathers, all year round, both on & off road - but does have permanent full mudguards with a decent mudflap). I think it cost me approx £20 including fitting.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
DAV_1965

Post by DAV_1965 »

Thanks. I found the cheese ref re FSA as well.
Have Sh BB in my possession now.
Looking fwd to a creak free ride
D
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

My new road bike has come with this combo (52/36 chainrings). I'm torn between giving them a go or swapping them for Shimano 105 (5800).

Anyone happily using FSA Mega Exo and FSA Omega Chainset? The non-drive side crank actually appeals to me as it's self-extracting using an 8mm Allen key.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)