Gear Changer Stiff like a Scania Truck

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SanSan

Gear Changer Stiff like a Scania Truck

Post by SanSan »

Hi everyone,

We have 2 identical bikes, both with Shimano Deore XT 10 speed gears. One takes the "thumbs of Arni" to shift up, the other takes a feather.

I have changed down to the smallest cog then released the cable, given some slack on the adjuster on the changer then re-indexed it but it still is very stiff.

PS the Deore gears on one bike are silver and they are black on the other, maybe a different model, but Deore 10spd XT nevertheless...

Any thoughts / advice? ....

Thanks
Eyebrox

Re: Gear Changer Stiff like a Scania Truck

Post by Eyebrox »

Cable change might free up the movement. New inner, or if the old inner is corroded, change inner and outer. Check also for overtight bends on cable run. Dirt could be putting the derailleur operation under pressure at the back. A bit of lube in the shifter up front would also help. These are the basics of easing up gear shifting.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Front or rear? Are the cables clamped on the same side of the bolt at the mech?
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

First thing to do is is unhitch the cable from the mech.
Operate the shifter with cable out of the stops if it's stiff there's your problem.Flooding the shifter with GT85 followed by aerosol semi fluid grease should free it up
Turning the pedals with the bike off the floor or in the stand,operate the mech by hand through it's range if it's stiff,etc.Remedy is a thorough cleaning and checking for crud in the pivots etc making life hard for it to move
Next check if the cable is slipping smoothly through the outer,if it's stiff,etc.Remedy is new inner and outer.

My bet is the cable.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
jb

Post by jb »

The cables are the usual suspects, the inner could be frayed around the shifter were the tightest corners usually lurk.

Or the outer, whilst looking good can have a worn groove internally which nips and holds the cable. best to replace these after first checking its nothing drastic like a seized up mech or changer (they usually tend to get looser and wobblier if anything), but that's a quick thing to do once the old cable is detached.

But if you've got as far as unhitching the cable you may as well change it anyway.
Cheers
J Bro
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

Definitely the cable
peetee

Post by peetee »

Cable is the first suspect. Shifters generally loose the ability to hold a gear rather than tighten up. Don't attempt to free the shifter action with repeated changes. Most people can apply enough force through the shift lever to ruin the ratchets if the cable is tight. SRAM shifters are notorious for that but it can happen to Shimano too.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

The reason I said check the cable attachment if shimano front mechs can become incredibly difficult to shift as you describe if the cable attached to the wrong side of the bolt.

I'd have a quick look before taking anything to bits.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

iandriver wrote:The reason I said check the cable attachment if shimano front mechs can become incredibly difficult to shift as you describe if the cable attached to the wrong side of the bolt.

I'd have a quick look before taking anything to bits.

That's a good point.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

from the context it does sound like a FD not RD. FDs can seize up completely so they can go draggy fairly easily too.

A fairly simple test is to grab hold of an exposed cable run and tug it sideways, so as to move the mech; if you have two bikes that are meant to be the same, compare one bike with the other. If they feel different then the final part of the cable run or the mech are at fault, If the bikes do feel the same then the fault most probably lies in the shifter or the upper part of the cable run.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SanSan

Post by SanSan »

reohn2 wrote:First thing to do is is unhitch the cable from the mech.
Operate the shifter with cable out of the stops if it's stiff there's your problem.Flooding the shifter with GT85 followed by aerosol semi fluid grease should free it up
Turning the pedals with the bike off the floor or in the stand,operate the mech by hand through it's range if it's stiff,etc.Remedy is a thorough cleaning and checking for crud in the pivots etc making life hard for it to move
Next check if the cable is slipping smoothly through the outer,if it's stiff,etc.Remedy is new inner and outer.

My bet is the cable.

Lovin it, excellently simple, thanks. then I know if it is the cable or shifter :idea: