Reports of the death of triple/nine speed greatly exaggerated?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mikeymo

Reports of the death of triple/nine speed greatly exaggerated?

Post by mikeymo »

I made a bike:

I really like it. I like the wide range (22 -118 gear inches). I like that I can spend most of my time on the middle chain ring, but can go lower/higher when necessary/possible.

It's 3x9 speed, Shimano Sora.

Is this stuff going to be phased out?

Should I buy spares now, while still available?

Which part is most likely to break/wear out first?

Thanks.

(so many questions, grasshopper).
Last edited by mikeymo on 28 Sep 2019, 10:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
pwa

Re: Reports of the death of triple/nine speed greatly exaggerated?

Post by pwa »

From experience, the levers. Several sets have died in our household, usually the left one just returning to the smallest ring as soon as you let go of the lever. No amount of WD40 / oil returns function. So I went to 9 speed bar end levers and my problems ended on my bikes, if not on those of other members of my household who still have STI levers.
PH

Post by PH »

It's dead in terms of what you'll find on most bikes in most bike shops, but it's not buried. You're likely to find consumable parts for as long as you're likely to want to and many none matching parts can be made to work. As time goes on you may have to look at little harder for them (As you do with 6 speed now) and there's the possibility that it'll be the lower end components that are around the longest, on the assumption that those prepared to spend more have moved up the fashion ladder.
I'm still running a 9 speed triple and have no intention of changing it or doubt that it won't outlast me.
Nice looking bike BTW :)
pwa

Post by pwa »

Yes, failed to say it, but that is a nice looking bike.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

9 speed Sora is mechanicaly similar to old gen tiagra which is previous gen 105 etc so there is no end of parts.

My mate got a tiagra 9 spd group set for £70 and I got the levers for £30 tempted to build another bike!!

Cheers James
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

pwa wrote:Yes, failed to say it, but that is a nice looking bike.

Thanks. Yes, I'm happy with it. I tried not to be too "blingy" but as I had to buy a saddle and bar wrap anyway, I thought I might as well get them to match the frame. Turned out OK, considering I had precisely zero experience of building a bike.

There's no otters by the way. We've been going to the same island for eight years and haven't seen any yet. It's a myth put out by the Scottish Tourist Board, I think.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

PH wrote:I'm still running a 9 speed triple and have no intention of changing it or doubt that it won't outlast me.

Me too, but I only know of one outlet that sells the 12-27 cassette that I favour.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Spa Cycles and probably SJS will still have parts for years :D
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Stock up on STIs if you favour combo shifting/braking with drop bars - these will obviously not be manufactured by anyone other than the big 3. Chainsets probably OK for a while, but likely to become niche and thus pricey. I see that one of the largest on-line shops is already predicting the demise of doubles - and selling off accordingly. Triples may or may not make a return as current new mass racing-replica riders keep on with the new fad sport as they age or simply shift to golf!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mikeymo wrote:

Thanks. Yes, I'm happy with it. I tried not to be too "blingy" but as I had to buy a saddle and bar wrap anyway, I thought I might as well get them to match the frame. Turned out OK, considering I had precisely zero experience of building a bike.

There's no otters by the way. We've been going to the same island for eight years and haven't seen any yet. It's a myth put out by the Scottish Tourist Board, I think.

Bike Tarts sir, lovely 853 frame sir? Suit you sir? :D
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

I wouldn't immediately worry, Sora has been 3x9 for many years and Claris is 3x8. I'd predict that we've got a couple of years (I've got 3 bikes with 3x9).
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mikeymo wrote:

That's the one. Though I think they've shifted most of them now.

Annoyingly, shortly after finishing the build, I saw Spa released their disc 725 tourer, complete with canti bosses (which I'd like). For less than it cost me to build mine. And with 3 bottle mounts (which I'd also like). Though I got the brakes that came slightly better recommended here (by Brucey).

One day I'll just get Bob Jackson to build my perfect frame, to my spec ;-)
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

fatboy wrote:I wouldn't immediately worry, Sora has been 3x9 for many years and Claris is 3x8. I'd predict that we've got a couple of years (I've got 3 bikes with 3x9).

I'll probably just keep my eyes peeled for things going cheap. I think Sora is current, yes? So when it becomes non-current stock will start to get sold off. The big worry would be rear hubs, but I think that 10 speed is the same size (?), so presumably it's a very long time before that would be an issue.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mikeymo wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
mikeymo wrote:

That's the one. Though I think they've shifted most of them now.

Annoyingly, shortly after finishing the build, I saw Spa released their disc 725 tourer, complete with canti bosses (which I'd like). For less than it cost me to build mine. And with 3 bottle mounts (which I'd also like). Though I got the brakes that came slightly better recommended here (by Brucey).

One day I'll just get Bob Jackson to build my perfect frame, to my spec ;-)

Fortunately Tarts ran out before my resolve did!
pwa

Post by pwa »

I think I have some 11 speed hubs that with the right spacer take a 9 speed cassette, so hubs aren't a worry. They last ages anyway.