Reports of the death of triple/nine speed greatly exaggerated?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mikeymo

Re: Reports of the death of triple/nine speed greatly exaggerated?

Post by mikeymo »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Bike Tarts sir, lovely 853 frame sir? Suit you sir? :D

That's the one. Though I think they've shifted most of them now.

Annoyingly, shortly after finishing the build, I saw Spa released their disc 725 tourer, complete with canti bosses (which I'd like). For less than it cost me to build mine. And with 3 bottle mounts (which I'd also like). Though I got the brakes that came slightly better recommended here (by Brucey).

One day I'll just get Bob Jackson to build my perfect frame, to my spec ;-)

Fortunately Tarts ran out before my resolve did!

It's a really nice frame, though I'm a bit miffed about the lack of a 3rd set of bottle bosses, I wish I'd noticed that. Well made - I had a bit of discussion here about facing bottom brackets and headtube, but it didn't need it, at least as far as I can tell with carpenters squares/vernier guages etc. Everything certainly went on very easily, all the threads well cut. Including the BB, once somebody reminded me that the drive side is reverse threaded.

My experience of the different qualities of frame material and build styles - x is stiff, y is responsive, z is lively etc. etc. - is limited. But it certainly feels comfortable, to me. And more comfortable, over distance, than other bikes I've ridden. Whether that's the 853 or not I couldn't say.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have a bike with 3 bottle bosses and rarely use the third. If you ever really did need that extra water I'm sure you could push a well sealed bottle in the top of a pannier. Those low slung bottles collect crud anyway.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

...or a saddle mounted cage. Lots around.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

pwa wrote:Those low slung bottles collect crud anyway.

Yes, I wondered about that. Thanks for confirming.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Bonefishblues wrote:...or a saddle mounted cage. Lots around.

Or that. To be honest two should be enough, after that it's stop and ask or something. Or stuff extra in a pannier.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

pwa wrote:I have a bike with 3 bottle bosses and rarely use the third. If you ever really did need that extra water I'm sure you could push a well sealed bottle in the top of a pannier. Those low slung bottles collect crud anyway.

I use the third one to hold a placcy bottle with tools in it, very handy (I splashed out on one of these one fine day when I was feeling rich, though I'm sure it was only £1.99 when I bought one https://www.decathlon.co.uk/tool-storage-bottle-700-ml-id_8324324.html)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

De Sisti wrote:
PH wrote:I'm still running a 9 speed triple and have no intention of changing it or doubt that it won't outlast me.

Me too, but I only know of one outlet that sells the 12-27 cassette that I favour.

You can get the Ultegra version from Rosebikes and Bike-discount.de and probably others. Have you got a source for the cheaper HG50 12-27 - I thought they were no longer available?
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

NetworkMan wrote:
De Sisti wrote:
PH wrote:I'm still running a 9 speed triple and have no intention of changing it or doubt that it won't outlast me.

Me too, but I only know of one outlet that sells the 12-27 cassette that I favour.

You can get the Ultegra version from Rosebikes and Bike-discount.de and probably others. Have you got a source for the cheaper HG50 12-27 - I thought they were no longer available?

Rosebikes is the only one that I've come across that sells them.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Unless I've blinked, Claris is still 8 speed, so at least one more series to go.

I've said this a few times, but the Sora is so good now, I see it as the unsung hero of the range.

Being somewhat prone to off-road touring, I love my third bottle boss. I've been in the middle of nowhere in 35+ degrees, I thank God I could easily carry three litres on the bike and more in the panniers. Like a low bottom gear, it's there just in case. I use a bottle with a large lid and decant into a bottle that doesn't get covered in crud. Has yet to poison me.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

De Sisti wrote:
NetworkMan wrote:
De Sisti wrote:Me too, but I only know of one outlet that sells the 12-27 cassette that I favour.

Rosebikes is the only one that I've come across that sells them.

12-26 any use?:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SRAM-PG-950- ... SwGVRdDiAt
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

De Sisti wrote:

Yes, the less common something becomes the less choice they'll be. It's the same with 27" tyres, you haven't got the choice you have with more popular sizes, but there's a difference between that and there being none.
Most of my mileage is hub geared, my 9 spd triple is on a Miche Primato 13 - 28 cassette, though there's a couple of other Miche ones I'm tempted by.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I have actually purchased 10 of the 12-27 cassettes (as spares) over the past couple of years
to enable me to continue putting together my desired combination of 13-30.

I acquired separate 13 (top) and 30 tooth sprokets (for each of my three bikes), removed the
12t and 13t and added the 30t. So the cassette changes from:

12/13/14/15/17/19/21/24/27 to : 13/14/15/17/19/21/24/27/30

As I don't use the 13 or the 30 very much I think I'll be able to transfer them to subsequent cassettes.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

De Sisti wrote:I have actually purchased 10 of the 12-27 cassettes (as spares) over the past couple of years
to enable me to continue putting together my desired combination of 13-30.

I acquired separate 13 (top) and 30 tooth sprokets (for each of my three bikes), removed the
12t and 13t and added the 30t. So the cassette changes from:

12/13/14/15/17/19/21/24/27 to : 13/14/15/17/19/21/24/27/30

As I don't use the 13 or the 30 very much I think I'll be able to transfer them to subsequent cassettes.

That's exactly one of the options I was considering. The SRAM 12-26 that Reohn2 mentioned upthread is also amenable to such treatment. It's the same except that it goes ...21,23,26 instead of ...21,24,27.
As I already have 9 speed cassettes with 32T sprockets I wondered about an emergency low .....21,24,27,32 which might just be OK (18.5%). However I suspect that 21,23,26,32 might just be too much of a jump (23.1%).
Of course all these options are good in that they keep all the shift ramps intact except at he extreme ends.

De Sisti - Where did you get your 13T top from?
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

I'm in a similar position, all my bikes are either 7,8 or 9-speed with triples. Main issues I find are that:

i) Only easily available triple for square taper bottom brackets seems to be the Spa Cycles XD2, and I found it doesn't like running with 9-speed chains - kept losing the chain between 'rings.

ii) People seem to be charging silly money for decent quality used 7/8/9-speed Mechs and shifters, advertising them as retro/cult/L'Eroica parts.

I've been trying to snap up decent used Deore LX/XT stuff when available but while there are loads of rear mechs out there front mechs are less common and shifters even less common again, so clearly things wear out at different rates!

Does anyone know if Claris stuff will work with 8-speed Rapidfire Plus levers, as I use straight bars??

Cheers,

Ben