Elite Crono elastigel fluid trainer has suddenly got noisy

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
VeggieRider

Elite Crono elastigel fluid trainer has suddenly got noisy

Post by VeggieRider »

I had my trainer set up In my garage to use whilst watching the last 90 mins of today's elite world championship road race for men. The current onset of noise from the trainer made itself known. The trainer tyre I use is the blue tacx one and I did a workout combining sets of 95 - 105+ rpm high cadence sessions and high gear out of the saddle strength efforts. The faster I pedalled. In the midrange gears and harder gears the more it sounded like a tractor was being revved in my garage. Anyone any experience of this and have any clue what is going on ?
Brucey

Re: Elite Crono elastigel fluid trainer has suddenly got noisy

Post by Brucey »

considering the (relatively) easy life they ought to get, home trainers are often less than perfectly reliable. In recent years the emphasis has mostly been on clever electronics, rather than sound engineering. I'd also note that if you use a fan, this can easily blow droplets of (highly corrosive) sweat backwards into the workings, with fairly predictable consequences.

Over the years I have wrecked quite a few home trainers of various kinds, despite preferring to ride on the roads if at all possible. In hindsight most of them have simply been not well made enough. Your description of 'tractor' -like sounds may indicate a failed bearing or a loose part. In any event it ought to be repaired sooner rather than later, else more damage is likely.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VeggieRider

Re: Elite Crono elastigel fluid trainer has suddenly got noisy

Post by VeggieRider »

https://youtu.be/gLtHtB86qp4

this isn't my video but this is precisely the problem, anyone know what could be causing that noise ?