Computers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Shoogle

Computers

Post by Shoogle »

I've had several basic bike computers over the years but the the common fault with all of them, like a lot of battery lights, was failure of the mount. Then I got a VDO with a twist on/off mount; best mount ever. Unfortunately, the same can't be said of the actual units themselves. The first one's buttons became sticky then stopped working altogether even after cleaning/lubricating with switch cleaner. The second one's display failed after only a couple of months. Are there any basic (i.e. <£30) computers with a decent mounting system?
KM2

Re: Computers

Post by KM2 »

Try to get a second hand Cateye computer. Go on ‘forever’, wired ones should be cheap.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

I,ve had a cateye enduro which comes with a beefy wired connection for 3yrs,faultless until last week.Just got another for 24pounds.Basic mounting,never fallen off.Just kept working.Can buy separate mounting kits for all your bikes.A cinch to set up.Just one large bar to scroll down the options,simple.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I've got a sigma sport computer on the old Gazelle bike I use on my turbo, after 6 months in the loft it always fires up first time! Get one from decathlon for £24. Mines years old as I bought a rear wheel sensor kit for it!
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Halfords cheapie, not much more than a tenner in 2009. Coming up to 24,000 miles. Enter your wheel circumference in millimetres and it is extremely accurate and reliable.

Still functioning well, have changed the cable ties once when swapping handlebars so the mounting is durable also.

You don't have to spend big bucks.

speedo.jpg
Shoogle

Post by Shoogle »

I always take my computer off when I lock the bike up outside, so it can be on and off several times a day. That's why I need a durable mount.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Garmin?
or
IGPSPORT gps cycling computer.
Advertised as the cheapest GPS cycle computer on the market.
The igs20e only does KPH not miles, is rechargeable & has an auto backlight.
Comes with 2 mounts, same fit as Garmin.
Shoogle

Post by Shoogle »

I've ordered another VDO at £20. Maybe third time lucky.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I have a vdo somewhere, never caused me any issues, agree that the mount is excellent.
Sweep
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

I have an IKU Cyclotronic purchased in 1982 that is still functioning. It's primitive and heavy, but has never hiccuped, and is still on the original battery, as the sensor ring and pickup coil recharge the battery as well as providing the data.