"Gusset" under downtube

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
peetee

Re: "Gusset" under downtube

Post by peetee »

I would like to think that these gussets are fitted with prior attention to the guage of the tube at the lower join of the gusset. The butted section of tubes are often of a set length and the tubes are cut to size to suit the bike. This can leave quite short sections of 'thick' tube and it's quite possible that on shorter frames the gusset may Overlay the thin section creating a potential stress raiser.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

peetee wrote:I would like to think that these gussets are fitted with prior attention to the guage of the tube at the lower join of the gusset. The butted section of tubes are often of a set length and the tubes are cut to size to suit the bike. This can leave quite short sections of 'thick' tube and it's quite possible that on shorter frames the gusset may Overlay the thin section creating a potential stress raiser.

This is the third time I've linked this on this thread.....https://www.torchandfile.com/assets/images/PARTS%20LIST%202019.pdf
Refer to the 725 tube list, the "thin" middle section is 350mm, with 2 tapers 30mm long, except the biggest diameter tube which has 330mm middle section and two, 40mm tapers.
I don't think its a problem.
peetee

Post by peetee »

531colin wrote:
peetee wrote:I would like to think that these gussets are fitted with prior attention to the guage of the tube at the lower join of the gusset. The butted section of tubes are often of a set length and the tubes are cut to size to suit the bike. This can leave quite short sections of 'thick' tube and it's quite possible that on shorter frames the gusset may Overlay the thin section creating a potential stress raiser.

This is the third time I've linked this on this thread.....https://www.torchandfile.com/assets/images/PARTS%20LIST%202019.pdf
Refer to the 725 tube list, the "thin" middle section is 350mm, with 2 tapers 30mm long, except the biggest diameter tube which has 330mm middle section and two, 40mm tapers.

A couple of months ago, IIRC, a poster was enquiring as to the provenance of a far Eastern built 725 frame because of its relatively cheap price. Invariably you get what you pay for and I would expect such a frame to have compromises. It is not beyond expectation that the necessity for a short tube could involve one cut and two mitres leaving very little butted section at one end.
Caveat emptor, never assume.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

peetee wrote:……...A couple of months ago, IIRC, a poster was enquiring as to the provenance of a far Eastern built 725 frame because of its relatively cheap price. Invariably you get what you pay for and I would expect such a frame to have compromises. It is not beyond expectation that the necessity for a short tube could involve one cut and two mitres leaving very little butted section at one end.

Thin mid-section 350mm.
Two, 30mm tapers 60mm.
Two, 60mm thick section 120mm
Overall tube length 530mm
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

peetee wrote:
531colin wrote:

A couple of months ago, IIRC, a poster was enquiring as to the provenance of a far Eastern built 725 frame because of its relatively cheap price. Invariably you get what you pay for and I would expect such a frame to have compromises. It is not beyond expectation that the necessity for a short tube could involve one cut and two mitres leaving very little butted section at one end.

Seems like you are assuming quite a bit based on very little evidence. It's cheap so it must have short butts? Idle speculation on your part with zero evidence I would wager.
Last edited by alexnharvey on 8 Oct 2019, 6:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

531colin wrote:
peetee wrote:……...A couple of months ago, IIRC, a poster was enquiring as to the provenance of a far Eastern built 725 frame because of its relatively cheap price. Invariably you get what you pay for and I would expect such a frame to have compromises.

My experience of 525 / 520 "Eastern" built frames is only positive.
Colin, are the excellent steel SPA frames made in the far east ?
As are iPhones, MacBooks and the latest Volvos ...

I have 2 Jamis Aurora framed bikes which are excellent in every way ..
The days of "Made in China" being a guide to poor quality are long gone ...
One of the biggest bike producers in the world is in Taiwan ..
My motorbike was made in India .. just up the road from the Triumph factory .. next to the Kawasaki factory.
Trek and Harley Davidson both produce their "Proudly made in the USA" products in India, Thailand and Taiwan.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

landsurfer wrote:….
Colin, are the excellent steel SPA frames made in the far east ? ……..

Steel and titanium, both built in the Far East.
At the moment, its the obvious place to go, you can't argue with the price or the quality.....or the reputation, which is important for the end customer.
For a long time, some Shimano stuff has been proudly labelled made in Malaysia, and probably other places as well. I guess its only a question of time before somebody breaks ranks and gets their frames made somewhere else; that'll start a price war.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"The lower end is not welded and there is a distinct gap between plate and downtube."

The original On One Inbreds all had the open end. As I recall, Brant used to say squirt a bit of WD40 up occasionally.