Front mech question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Ontherivet77

Front mech question

Post by Ontherivet77 »

Is a shimano deore shifter compatible with a tiagra front mech? Bike has a triple chainset. If I need to get a Deore front mech what size is compatible with a Ridgeback Panorama.
Thanks in advance.
keyboardmonkey

Re: Front mech question

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Is this a Ridgeback Panorama converted to a flat bar and Deore trigger shifters? 9-speed? Do you currently have a Tiagra front mech? A Hollowtech Deore chainset or square taper non-series?
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

keyboardmonkey wrote:Is this a Ridgeback Panorama converted to a flat bar and Deore trigger shifters? 9-speed? Do you currently have a Tiagra front mech? A Hollowtech Deore chainset or square taper non-series?

Yep, I've put a Nitto comfort bar on with the 9 speed deore trigger shifters. Chainset is a Shimano M431 48/36/26. Front mech is a Tiagra.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Ontherivet77 wrote:
keyboardmonkey wrote:Is this a Ridgeback Panorama converted to a flat bar and Deore trigger shifters? 9-speed? Do you currently have a Tiagra front mech? A Hollowtech Deore chainset or square taper non-series?

Yep, I've put a Nitto comfort bar on with the 9 speed deore trigger shifters. Chainset is a Shimano M431 48/36/26. Front mech is a Tiagra.

Right, so you’ve gone a little off-piste, but given that Ridgeback fitted such non-series chainsets as a workaround to fit with the Tiagra shifters and front mech, it would make sense if you were to fit a Deore mech and a correspondingly longer square taper spindle to line everything up with where the Deore front mech would expect to be (ie with a 50mm chainline) if you can’t get the Tiagra mech to work properly. Someone may come along to put us both right, but that’s my take.
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

keyboardmonkey wrote:
Ontherivet77 wrote:

Right, so you’ve gone a little off-piste, but given that Ridgeback fitted such non-series chainsets as a workaround to fit with the Tiagra shifters and front mech, it would make sense if you were to fit a Deore mech and a correspondingly longer square taper spindle to line everything up with where the Deore front mech would expect to be (ie with a 50mm chainline) if you can’t get the Tiagra mech to work properly. Someone may come along to put us both right, but that’s my take.

I'm thinking of one of these as a replacement : https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/derailleurs ... erailleur/ - Allows for cable pull from the bottom apparently. The tiagra will only switch between 26 & 36 at the moment as too much cable tension to go to the 48.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

I’ve fitted a Deore front mech on a skinny Reynolds 531 frame. I’m not sure how thick the seat tube is on your bike, but I would imagine that mech will be okay. If, however, the seat tube is particularly skinny you may want to search out a different mech - or source the shim referred to in the description of the mech you link to.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

You should check and consider the chain line. It might be that the MTB chainset was fitted using a road chainline, better to suit the Tiagra shifter upfront. The fact that you couldn't shift onto the big ring is consistent with the fact that road front shifters pull less cable than MTB ones. Shimano used to make flat bar shifters to suit road FDs, but it's probably a bit late for that now!