3 in 1 Oil

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
foxychick

3 in 1 Oil

Post by foxychick »

Has anyone used this on modern transmissions and if so how do you find it compared to modern far more expensive lubes?
John1054

Re: 3 in 1 Oil

Post by John1054 »

Not used it on transmission parts, but think that it might be too thin?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Not used 3in1 but I've been successfully trialing this https://www.wiggle.co.uk/weldtite-tf2-p ... QUQAvD_BwE and it's hardly what I'd call expensive :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

From Sheldon Brown:

Lubricants Not to Use!

While it's hard to say which lubricants are best for chains, some lubricants are real no-nos:

Automotive motor oil contains detergent, to wash away combustion products, and is made to be renewed constantly under pressure from the motor's oil pump. I [John Allen] rode once with someone who had used it the day before, and her chain was already squeaking.
"Household" oil, such as 3 in 1, lacks extreme-pressure additives and is acidic. It tends to gum up. (It's really bad news inside internal hub gears, too...)
WD-40 and other thin sprays are intended more as solvents than lubricants. They evaporate quickly

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
pwa

Post by pwa »

I used 3in1 as a cheap lube on 9 speed transmission for commuting for a good few years and it is okay. In wet weather it needs re-applying more than once a week, and it does build up a tarry deposit if you don't clean parts for a couple of weeks. Smells nice though.

I once used it as an emergency measure on the 620km Bryan Chapman audax when at about the 520km mark my chain became squeaky. A roadside petrol station had 3in1 so that is what I used to get me over the last bit of the ride. It is certainly okay if it is all you have to hand. But it wouldn't be my number one choice on a nice drivetrain.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Tin of 3-in-1 left behind in the garage when I moved in. I didn't use it on the transmission until the tin of BP oil left next to it had run out.

pwa wrote:In wet weather it needs re-applying more than once a week, and it does build up a tarry deposit if you don't clean parts for a couple of weeks.

I tend to ride my transmission into submission rather than clean and maintain it regularly.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

horizon wrote:From Sheldon Brown:

Lubricants Not to Use!

While it's hard to say which lubricants are best for chains, some lubricants are real no-nos:

Automotive motor oil contains detergent, to wash away combustion products, and is made to be renewed constantly under pressure from the motor's oil pump. I [John Allen] rode once with someone who had used it the day before, and her chain was already squeaking.
"Household" oil, such as 3 in 1, lacks extreme-pressure additives and is acidic. It tends to gum up. (It's really bad news inside internal hub gears, too...)
WD-40 and other thin sprays are intended more as solvents than lubricants. They evaporate quickly

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

A collection of half-truths IMHO.

3-in-1 is not a particularly good chain lube, but like almost any other lubrication problem the following rules apply

1) anything is likely to be considerably better than nothing and
2) there is a lot to be said for cleanliness; dirt increases wear like you wouldn't believe.
3) once the above are attended to, the quality of the lube begins to matter.

A complication with chains is that when they are new, they are usually already lubricated very well; in the first few hundred miles especially, many things folk do to chains are liable to make them worse, not better.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

If you're after something cheap that works, try chainsaw cutter bar oil. You should be able to buy 1L of it for considerably less than a bike shop will charge for 100mL of chain lubricant. I bought a litre of cutter bar oil a long time ago for use on bike chains, and I haven't yet got tp the end of the bottle. My chains last a long time - I replace them when 24 links measure 12-1/16", and that's usually up around the 15000km mark.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I haven't tried chainsaw oil, even though I probably have some in the back of the garage. Isn't it a bit too gloopy? It ought to be good in some ways, being designed for a chain that moves a lot quicker than a bicycle chain, and it will certainly be intended for a wet, dirty environment. But it won't be formulated to deal with road salt. Interesting though.

On the whole I feel that buying a good quality oil (like Finish Line Wet) is not particularly expensive when you consider that it lasts a long time and helps you keep your components going longer.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

NickJP wrote:If you're after something cheap that works, try chainsaw cutter bar oil. You should be able to buy 1L of it for considerably less than a bike shop will charge for 100mL of chain lubricant. I bought a litre of cutter bar oil a long time ago for use on bike chains, and I haven't yet got tp the end of the bottle. My chains last a long time - I replace them when 24 links measure 12-1/16", and that's usually up around the 15000km mark.

+1 I've been using it for years buy the secret is to keep the chain clean. After a light oiling I spend a some time rubbing any excess off the chain. It's inside the bearing surfaces where it's needed. Since doing this chain life on my bike has doubled.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I used 3in1 for nearly 20years in my SA3sp applied through the little cap in the hubshell. Never an issue.
1964 Hercules in almost daily use until I gave it away in 1981.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

francovendee wrote:
NickJP wrote:If you're after something cheap that works, try chainsaw cutter bar oil. You should be able to buy 1L of it for considerably less than a bike shop will charge for 100mL of chain lubricant. I bought a litre of cutter bar oil a long time ago for use on bike chains, and I haven't yet got tp the end of the bottle. My chains last a long time - I replace them when 24 links measure 12-1/16", and that's usually up around the 15000km mark.

+1 I've been using it for years buy the secret is to keep the chain clean. After a light oiling I spend a some time rubbing any excess off the chain. It's inside the bearing surfaces where it's needed. Since doing this chain life on my bike has doubled.

I agree, I’m a chain saw oil mixed with white spirit user. I apply it and clean the chain after most rides. Believing the spirit helps clean the chain but hopefully leaving Oil traces behind.
I’ve tried pure chainsaw oil in the past but ended up with everything in a gooey sticky mess.
I used 3in 1 oil with my 1963 Dawes Diploma SA 3 speed. Used solidly for 5 yrs until I got a motorbike I do recall some gear problems by the end though :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

since we are talking oils what about oil with graphite in it? Lidl sold some a short time ago I bought some out of curiousity. would a chain benefit?
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

nothing wrong with 3 in 1 but it doesn't last long so regular application required. I have used it a bit. But my Audax partner swears by it and uses it on his 10 speed campag setup which he use to commute all year round.

oils with graphite in lube brilliant for things like locks and I reckon if they are in the right base oil they will make a great lube. just they are black to start with not for the faint hearted.

personally for the past 4 years I have used Chainsaw Chain oil, As recommended by the late Sheldon Brown. Its Cheap it has great anti-fling properties, it can be a little bit Sticky so you need to clean the excess off once lubed. But winter Commuting does need something hardcore
NUKe

Post by fastpedaller »

I tried chain saw oil and although it said on the bottle "anti fling" it flung off all over! Maybe I pedal faster than a chain saw :lol:
My lubricant of choice is TF2
Last edited by fastpedaller on 8 Oct 2019, 2:55pm, edited 1 time in total.