Is it possible to repair this tyre?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Highkicker79

Is it possible to repair this tyre?

Post by Highkicker79 »

I use Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres because my own experience is that I get almost no punctures when using them. My previous set were running low on tread so I replaced with a new set of same tyres.

I've barely done a few hundred miles on the new tyres before I had a couple of back to back punctures. Upon the first puncture, tried to find the offending protrusion but I couldn't (it was also quite dark) so just figured it was a pinch puncture or something. Anyway, next day on the way to work I get another puncture, managed to get to work where I was able to check the tyre properly.

Turns out the tyre has a gash from the outside as seen here:
2019-10-10 10.51.39.jpg

It's right between the tread, and is only visible when the tread is pushed apart. There's no thorns or sharp things that I could feel so I'm guessing both punctures happened because something pierced through that hole but never stayed in the tyre.

Anyway, is this tyre fixable? Seems a shame to have to throw it away when it's pretty much new. Thoughts?
Brucey

Re: Is it possible to repair this tyre?

Post by Brucey »

damage in the rubber is not altogether without its consequences but it is largely superficial. You should be far more interested in whether or not the carcass of the tyre is badly damaged or not; the carcass is what gives the tyre its strength.

So look on the inside of the tyre and see how big the hole on the inside is, and if many cords in the carcass have been severed or not, before making up your mind if the tyre is really 'damaged' or not. It might be little more than a pinprick through the carcass, even though it is more of a gash on the outside.

If the carcass is not (or is only slightly) damaged the gash in the tread may over time

a) pick up stones etc more easily (and there is some rather than no chance that these will give you further punctures) and
b) allow water to get at any exposed part of the carcass fabric which will (with that type of tyre) cause it to rot.

FWIW brand new tyres cut up more easily than old ones, because the rubber is almost invariably a lot softer. Because of this, some cyclists buy new tyres and leave them to 'mature' (in cool, dry, dark conditions) for a year or two before fitting them and using them.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Highkicker79

Post by Highkicker79 »

Brucey wrote:damage in the rubber is not altogether without its consequences but it is largely superficial. You should be far more interested in whether or not the carcass of the tyre is badly damaged or not; the carcass is what gives the tyre its strength.

So look on the inside of the tyre and see how big the hole on the inside is, and if many cords in the carcass have been severed or not, before making up your mind if the tyre is really 'damaged' or not. It might be little more than a pinprick through the carcass, even though it is more of a gash on the outside.

If the carcass is not (or is only slightly) damaged the gash in the tread may over time

a) pick up stones etc more easily (and there is some rather than no chance that these will give you further punctures) and
b) allow water to get at any exposed part of the carcass fabric which will (with that type of tyre) cause it to rot.

FWIW brand new tyres cut up more easily than old ones, because the rubber is almost invariably a lot softer. Because of this, some cyclists buy new tyres and leave them to 'mature' (in cool, dry, dark conditions) for a year or two before fitting them and using them.

cheers

Ah okay, I did not know this about leaving tyres for a year to let them harden.

With regards to this tyre, I can see all the way through to the blue strip (which I believe is Schwalbe's puncture resistant material. If I look on the inner side of the tyre where the gash is, I can see a pin prick hole. It also looks like there might be a gash within the blue puncture resistant tape but I can't tell as it could just be a crease.

Either way, could I fill the hole with rubber glue? Would that bond it together with enough strength?
pwa

Post by pwa »

In the past I have carved small plugs from discarded tyres and pushed them into small holes, with vulcanising solution (glue) to make it less likely the hole will pick up more debris. If the inside of the tyre looks intact I'd try that.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if the carcass is not damaged you could try some thing like shoe goo to fill up the gash. It worked well on my m/c tyre that had received a similar cut but was other wise ok.

eg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-SHOE-GOO-Adhesive-110400EU/dp/B07VDV1HMJ/ref=asc_df_B07VDV1HMJ/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=375497766422&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12556656369484635759&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-798343399424&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=79623074071&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=375497766422&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12556656369484635759&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-798343399424

if the carcass is damaged there will be a bump when you pump it up and you will get a bump -bump-bump feel as the wheel goes around ( that has happened to me, discarded the tyre)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Highkicker79 wrote:
Ah okay, I did not know this about leaving tyres for a year to let them harden.

With regards to this tyre, I can see all the way through to the blue strip (which I believe is Schwalbe's puncture resistant material. If I look on the inner side of the tyre where the gash is, I can see a pin prick hole. It also looks like there might be a gash within the blue puncture resistant tape but I can't tell as it could just be a crease.

Either way, could I fill the hole with rubber glue? Would that bond it together with enough strength?

I don't leave my tyres to harden. There are two reasons for this. Tyre compounds age in different manners. What improves puncture resistance on one tyre, may make cracking more likely on another. The other reason is that there is a relationship between hardness and traction. That is, as it hardens, there is likely (not certainly, but likely) a reduction in traction properties. This may not matter so much on a Marathon, which will have been bought more for puncture resistance than other performance characteristics. It does matter on my GP 4 Seasons, which I buy because I like the performance, and especially the traction in adverse conditions.

If the puncture resistant material is damaged, I guess you are aware, the lack of barrier may mean that stones, thorns, etc are a little more likely to result in a puncture. I don't know what the odds are of it happening there, rather than somewhere else, but I woud probably chance it :)

I should think that it might help to use a little glue. I wouldn't use rubber glue, though. I'd prefer the glue from an inner tube patch kit. Make sure it is clean & dry when you glue it, though. If there is dirt or debris in, you may make things worse, rather than better.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If you carry a tool bag or anything, it may be worth adding a tyre boot to it, in case you do have problems.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Highkicker79 wrote:With regards to this tyre, I can see all the way through to the blue strip (which I believe is Schwalbe's puncture resistant material. If I look on the inner side of the tyre where the gash is, I can see a pin prick hole. It also looks like there might be a gash within the blue puncture resistant tape but I can't tell as it could just be a crease.

By all means try glue, but I wouldn't expect it to last all that long.

The blue layer has two functions - it adds thickness, so small things like flints or glass aren't big enough to reach the casing or inner tube, and it grips the sides of whatever does go in, hindering further progress (especially thorns).

It may be worth putting the tyre on the front, so you can see if any bulges or wobbles develop due to casing damage. Bulges can often be restrained by tyre boots, but wobbles generally call for replacement. Rear tyres tend to be out of sight, out of mind, particularly when hidden behind a mudguard.

I'd probably just carry on riding it.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

As mentioned above, check from the inside that the casing isn't damaged (pin prick hole is fine), if the casing is OK then put a patch/boot on the inside for piece of mind, you could probably just carry on riding it at that point and see how you get on, but if it were me I'd also use flexible superglue on the slit in the tread. It's not perfect or perpetual, but I've repaired many a slit like the above with it and gone on to wear the rest of the tyre out.
Highkicker79

Post by Highkicker79 »

Nice one, thank you all. Not sure if the tyre carcass is damaged as I can't see beyond that blue puncture resistant tape. Certainly from the inside of the tyre, it seems okay except for a small pin hole which caused the puncture to the inner tube. I'll try those suggestions as well as using a tyre boot on the inside of the tyre.

If I get any more punctures from it in the same place then I'll just ditch the tyre and buy a new one.

Thanks again
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

If it's just a pinprick, I wouldn't bother using a boot.
Sometimes a boot can cause a puncture, depending on what your boot is made from and how thick it is (the edge of the boot rubs away at the tube).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

andrew_s wrote:If it's just a pinprick, I wouldn't bother using a boot.
Sometimes a boot can cause a puncture, depending on what your boot is made from and how thick it is (the edge of the boot rubs away at the tube).

Yeah, that why I was recommending sticking a boot in the tool kit, in case there are problems in use.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Don't put it on the front! If you get a sudden failure you are more likely to control a blow out if it is on the rear wheel. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

There is a black variety of CA adhesive (superglue) which has rubber particles suspended in it. It was developed specifically to bond rubber to steel in suspension components; worth a try on tyres. Inflate fully, apply adhesive, deflate - leave for a few hours. NB CA adhesive needs water vapour to cure. If the humidity is low and you don't use an activator, it can take hours to cure. Has worked for me on small cuts :D .