Routing the rear mech cable

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cycle tramp

Routing the rear mech cable

Post by cycle tramp »

Renewing the rear deraillure cable on my self build - I could go along the top tube and down the seat stay, or along the down tube and then the chain stay - which route has less friction?
Eyebrox

Re: Routing the rear mech cable

Post by Eyebrox »

Depends on the angles. The angle at the seat post is sure to be more acute than the one at the bottom bracket. The cable will work better on the route with less of a bend.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Friction with a new cable is proportional to the total angle through which the cable bends.

However, cables will wear a groove into the lined insides of housings faster on sharper bends and perhaps disproportionately increase friction there as they wear. Imagine a vee-belt in a pulley.
pwa

Post by pwa »

That area near the seat post is problematic for rear brakes, so for a rear mech I would avoid it. It is a problem you don't need.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Either way works well,but top/seat tube route keeps the cable out of road muck etc.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hamster

Post by hamster »

reohn2 wrote:Either way works well,but top/seat tube route keeps the cable out of road muck etc.

I agree, but the muck and water then seems to run down the seatstay part of the cable and into the outer for the last bit.

It's the Law of Conservation of Misery. It works nicely with sealed cable setups though.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hamster wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Either way works well,but top/seat tube route keeps the cable out of road muck etc.

I agree, but the muck and water then seems to run down the seatstay part of the cable and into the outer for the last bit.

It's the Law of Conservation of Misery. It works nicely with sealed cable setups though.

I thought it would be a straight through out,my mistake.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden