cassette lockring

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cyclop

cassette lockring

Post by cyclop »

Having swapped,combined and generally messed about with cassettes,I,m still unsure how many turns the lockring should ideally make before locking up.Is two enough?
Samuel D

Re: cassette lockring

Post by Samuel D »

A rule of thumb is that the axial load on a threaded fastener is borne by the first three threads before it tapers off to negligible. So I’d want at least three turns on that principle.

Are you certain you’ve fitted the final (smallest) sprocket the right way around? I’ve seen that mistake made before with the result you describe.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

The final sprocket has the integral spacer so,no,never fitted it wrong way round,however,I notice not all lockrings are the same regarding thread no. so,taking your comment into consideration,I will endeavor to fit one deep enough to allow three revs.,thanks for that.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

cyclop wrote:The final sprocket has the integral spacer so,no,never fitted it wrong way round,however,I notice not all lockrings are the same regarding thread no. so,taking your comment into consideration,I will endeavor to fit one deep enough to allow three revs.,thanks for that.

Some freehub bodies seem to have less lock ring thread engagement than others, once the cassette is in place and the lockring screwed in. In the worst cases, the standard lockring from the likes of Shimano won't engage enough thread to allow a proper torque to be applied and will spring off the threads of the freehub because only about one circumference of engagement is possible (one thread's worth). I have a pair of Hunt wheels with a freehub like that and although they sent me another freehub body gratis, that too was too short i' the thread engagement. I ended up buying a fancy coloured alloy lockring with significantly more threads on it than the Shimano cassette lockring.

I don't really understand why there are so few threads provided on a standard Shimano lockring. After-market lock rings almost all have two to three threads more. There seems to be plenty of room to take them in all the freehub bodies I've ever had.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes