Removing disc brake front wheels for carriage.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
arnsider

Removing disc brake front wheels for carriage.

Post by arnsider »

Hi,
This topic may well have been aired before, but I cannot find anything.
I am about to purchase a bike fitted with hydraulic disc brakes.
I normally carry my bike inside the car using one of those simple yokes, bolted to a piece of timber spanning the car boot, to which I secure the front forks, having removed the front wheel.
Once the disc is out of its slot, I presume that any accidental squeezing of the brake lever will cause the actuator to close the gap.
What's a simple way of avoiding such accidents?
Brucey

Re: Removing disc brake front wheels for carriage.

Post by Brucey »

a spacer of some kind. A piece of plastic (of disc-esque thickness) is adequate. Secure with an elastic band or something.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Most hydraulic brakes come with plastic widgets that can be clipped in place when the wheel is out precisely for this.

Also, depending on the brand, you may be able to lock the brake in place. My TRP Hy-Rd equipped bike is on a direct drive trainer at the moment, so I've pressed in and turned a small nut on the back brake body that locks it from being operated. Look up the manufacturers instructions for your brand.

Obviously, important to remember to release when putting the bike back into road action. At least the widget gets in the way of wheel re-insertion as a reminder of its presence.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Stuff something in the gap.