20 inch wheels and folding bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mattievrs

20 inch wheels and folding bike

Post by Mattievrs »

Hey all.

I’ve got hold of a 7 speed on the rear folding bike with 20 inch wheels. The wheels have seen better days and I’ve begun to wonder about replacements.........

I’d love to stick a couple of old bmx magnesuim 5 spoke wheels on it for a retro look. It’s obviously a 7 speed and bmx wheels are single speed.

Can I use a longer axle like the old one on a mag wheel and make it a 7 speed or is there more to it?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Matt
From Leicester
Road and mtb are my thing. Aswell as cars,women,fire,meat and beer.
Brucey

Re: 20 inch wheels and folding bike

Post by Brucey »

7s wheels are dished (the rim is not centred between the hub flanges) and BMX wheels are not. You can adjust the dish on a wire-spoke tension wheel so that it can be dished for x1 or x5, x6, x7 etc running. With MAG wheels (and any other, er, 'cart wheels') not so much.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mattievrs

Post by Mattievrs »

Brucey wrote:7s wheels are dished (the rim is not centred between the hub flanges) and BMX wheels are not. You can adjust the dish on a wire-spoke tension wheel so that it can be dished for x1 or x5, x6, x7 etc running. With MAG wheels (and any other, er, 'cart wheels') not so much.

cheers

Thanks for The answer, much appreciated and glad to know that potentially I’m not gonna waste money. Cheers
From Leicester
Road and mtb are my thing. Aswell as cars,women,fire,meat and beer.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Not directly what you're asking, but try the three categories here for an idea of the range of available replacements.