Changing to a suspension fork on my Croix de Fer [cdf] ?!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
WoodBurner81

Changing to a suspension fork on my Croix de Fer [cdf] ?!

Post by WoodBurner81 »

my cdf has become a bit of a do everything machine - from school runs to gravel tracks to camping touring to road and woodland track

am thinking of switching out the forks for something like these (below) for when things get a bit bumpy (as example, south downs way)

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FORSJUDY2 ... own-adjust

anyone done anything similar?
thoughts?

thanks

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
WoodBurner81

Re: suspension on cdf?!

Post by WoodBurner81 »

this is my cdf model by the way

https://road.cc/content/review/61480-genesis-cdf

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

That fork has a tapered steerer, so won’t fit your frame. A good-quality 700c/29er suspension fork with a straight 1.1/8 steerer will be hard to find, even before you’ve considered axle-to-crown length, offset etc.

Basically I anticipate you’d spend a lot of time and money ruining the handling of your bike!

What tyres are you using at the moment?
WoodBurner81

Post by WoodBurner81 »

[emoji44]

WoodBurner81

Post by WoodBurner81 »

these suggested in an old forum post

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3729856755

ElCani

Post by ElCani »

The problem with cheap suspension forks is they tend to weigh a lot, perform poorly when new and get rapidly worse with use, and are then uneconomic or impossible to service.

If I had a CDF with a suspension fork I’d be looking for rigid forks to fit to it!

If you say what tyres and tyre pressures you are using we can see if there improvements to be made there.
WoodBurner81

Re: Changing to a suspension fork on my Croix de Fer [cdf] ?!

Post by WoodBurner81 »

Ah! Ok, sounds like I am barking up the wrong tree...

Tyre wise I am running 35mm Continental Cyclocross Race @ 75-80psi

Are you thinking something wider at lower pressure might help?

Thanks

WoodBurner81

Post by WoodBurner81 »

Prob also worth noting I have switched the drops out for a flat/riser bar - it felt safer that way when have child in rear seat.

Perhaps this all sounds like I have the wrong bike?!!

ElCani

Post by ElCani »

You are running reasonably wide tyres, but at what I would consider too high pressure. Try inflating to 50 at the front, 65 at the back and comfort and speed on rough ground should improve. The best pressures for you will depend on your weight and the weight of your child, but those are a good starting point.

As to whether you’ve bought the wrong bike, my instincts say you haven’t, you just need to find a set-up that works for you. If you’re generally comfortable with how the bike handles with your kid on the back, tweaking the tyre pressures might solve your problem.
WoodBurner81

Post by WoodBurner81 »

Thanks, will try that in first instance.

Kid only on the back 10-20% of time.

Would you suggest going up to 40mm+ tyres, perhaps? Schwalbe Marathon for example, as seen on hybrid style bikes.

ElCani

Post by ElCani »

I would fit the widest tyres possible. How wide that is depends on the frame and fork and whether you’re running mudguards. However, width is not the only factor determining comfort - how supple the tyre is also important. Most Marathons (there are many variations) are pretty tough, and therefore slow and uncomfortable. I believe Marathon Racers are among the most supple in the range and there are an increasing number of other nice wide tyres from lots of manufacturers.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

As others have said: wider tyres and running them at a lower pressure is the way to go. If you can get 40mm tyres in there it is worth trying a tubeless set up and running the tyres at about 40psi. Something like a Maxxis Rambler or Panaracer Gravel King. Having ridden the South Downs Way last year on my hard tail mountain bike (2.3inch tyres) it will still be quite a bumpy ride in places with 40mm tyres. I certainly appreciated the front suspension on the long, rocky downhill sections.