Gear cable inner for Brompton.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LuckyLuke

Gear cable inner for Brompton.

Post by LuckyLuke »

HI all, I'm fixing up a Brompton for a pal. It's a ~2005 M handlebar version, with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub.

It needs new cables and I see online that cable kits are available. I've got loads of cable outers so thought I'd just buy the inners. Anyone know what size nipple & cable are required for thie Brompton 3 speed trigger shifter?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares ... ton-sa-sr/

Best wishes,

Luke
Brucey

Re: Gear cable inner for Brompton.

Post by Brucey »

IIRC a standard (but skinny ~1.0mm) cable with a standard (derailleur) nipple ought to work with a 'pre 2017' 3s shifter. If not, reducing the size of the nipple isn't a big job. I'd suggest a nipple with both ends square would be better than one with a domed end.

A snag is that the pinch bolts made to this pattern

do vary. This part was originally made for SA cables to fit traditional SA trigger shifters, which use very skinny cables (~0.95mm dia). Some are drilled this size. Others are drilled ~1.1mm but won't accept a 1.1mm cable until the hole as been deburred.

The correct Brompton cable kit is only ~ten quid, so I'd probably just get that.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LuckyLuke

Re: Gear cable inner for Brompton.

Post by LuckyLuke »

Hi Brucey,

Ta for all the intel. Yes, sounds like it will be quicker & easier to buy the complete cable kit. I was just being a tight-ar5e 'cos I have a bunch of outers already. :lol:

Best wishes,

Luke