Hi vis and reflective jacket

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
James Up Hill

Hi vis and reflective jacket

Post by James Up Hill »

I want a jacket that I thought would be dead easy to find, but apparently not. I want to show up like the chaps in orange hi vis on building sites, and I want it to be breathable. I don't mind looking like a complete dork if I'm a living dork... I want it to be fluorescent and reflective. And cost effective.

As TKMaxx will supply breathable skiing jackets (with layers of insulation) for £50 this shouldn't be too challenging...

There's one here on Banggood for $17 which isn't quite reflective enough - why skimp on reflective strips on the back and the sleeves?

These Proviz ones look perfect, but they're not even remotely breathable. And their top-of-the-range one is breathable but is in black. Black! Stylish, but dead.

A Bwin one here but reportedly made for the continental market with little reflectiveness on the right side. And non-breathable.

From Kennington an SFX which is fully fluorescent, fully reflective at the same time, and breathable. Lacks a nice big poacher's pocket on the back. £80.

One from Amazon, unbranded,that doesn't have the clever bits that are both visible and reflective at the same time, instead being 50:50, but is cheap at £40 and breathable and has a 2-year satisfaction guarantee.

Other suggestions?
freiston

Re: Hi vis and reflective jacket

Post by freiston »

How about a hi-vis tabard (the sort that you can breathe through the fabric quite easily) over the top of any jacket of your choice?

Personally, I'm not convinced that hi-vis will keep you alive.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

freiston wrote:How about a hi-vis tabard (the sort that you can breathe through the fabric quite easily) over the top of any jacket of your choice

Was going to say the same. Opens up the options massively. You can get them in B&Q, Screwfix, Toolstation, or you can look online. I've used BuyTshirtsOnline in the past: https://www.buytshirtsonline.co.uk/search/hi-vis

Don't buy Portwest stuff though - when I was running a clothing business we returned no end of their stuff as it's very poorly made. Yoko or Dickies are generally better brands.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

freiston wrote:How about a hi-vis tabard (the sort that you can breathe through the fabric quite easily) over the top of any jacket of your choice?

I find wearing a (Hi-vis) tabard makes me a lot warmer/hotter (and I don't bother to do the front up either).

I actually use one more as a way be be a bit warmer when the weather gets a bit colder.

Ian
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Psamathe wrote:
freiston wrote:How about a hi-vis tabard (the sort that you can breathe through the fabric quite easily) over the top of any jacket of your choice?

I find wearing a (Hi-vis) tabard makes me a lot warmer/hotter (and I don't bother to do the front up either).

I actually use one more as a way be be a bit warmer when the weather gets a bit colder.

Ian

It won't make you as hot as wearing a jacket!

Fundamentally, the problem is that the Hi-Viz stripes required by EN241* have yet to be made out of breathable material.

There are a few vests aimed at runners that use yellow mesh for all the other material; some riders like these.
My best buy so far is the Craft vest - it's very meshy, but less so on the front (for windproofing), with a full zip for warm nights. It's a good fit, with a snug collar.

If you don't need to be EN-complaint, there are "sash"-type designs (a bit like motorsport harnesses in shape).

[*I guessed at that. Google i.]
James Up Hill

Post by James Up Hill »

Thanks. I want my sleeves to be bright as well. I drive quite a bit in London and always ask myself why cyclists would not have bright sleeves.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

James Up Hill wrote:Thanks. I want my sleeves to be bright as well. I drive quite a bit in London and always ask myself why cyclists would not have bright sleeves.

For the same reason 90% of HV wearers don't have them (look at a building site to see what I mean).
Si

Post by Si »

Good quality jacket plus Sam Brown Belt and a couple of slap bands for your arms?
peetee

Post by peetee »

I have a mesh hi-vis tabard that is far far cooler than a regular one. I got it through work several years ago so can't recommend a supplier.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Avspider

Post by Avspider »

Have a look at the DHB flashlight jacket. Its a nice compromise,
Btwin 540 commuter
BMC Granfondo 02
Venge pro disc CLX64 :D
Steve

Post by Steve »

James Up Hill wrote:Thanks. I want my sleeves to be bright as well. I drive quite a bit in London and always ask myself why cyclists would not have bright sleeves.

You can easily get "sleeved waistcoats" in high viz, meant to be worn over your outer clothes