New member, new hybrid bike build

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PigzMightFly

New member, new hybrid bike build

Post by PigzMightFly »

Hello everyone, I've just joined the site and i'm hoping to get some advice on a first attempt at building a hybrid bike. My background is a toolmaker for 40+ years working on all aspects of the job including building robotic machines, I'm 5'5" with an inside leg of 27" arm length to middle of palm 21". My primary reason for the build is to build my core strength up as I have a back problem and my consultant has suggested cycling as a good method to achieve this, obviously having the back problem means I need a sit up and beg style of riding. Where I live its pretty flat so no hill climbs, . . . . .I'd like :-

- a seat with shock absorber and
- 2x9 to 2x11 gearing
- no front or rear shocks and
- i'm not sure on the brake type
- a removable light weight rack for my panniers,
- manufacturers and best places to buy would be helpful too.

The main priority is comfort and reliability, light weight would also be a consideration but not the be all and end all. I have a budget of around £400 maybe a bit more if I get exactly what I want.

On a side note you can call me Trev or Pigz it doesn't matter I've been called a lot worse than anything you can think of :roll: :D :wink: . here's hoping someone can help.

Cheers

Trev/Pigz
Last edited by PigzMightFly on 24 Oct 2019, 11:58am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't you think it's strange that a tortoise has the lowest drag coefficient of any land animal?
Eagles might soar but Sloths don't get sucked into jet engines.
Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
Ontherivet77

Re: New member, new hybrid bike build

Post by Ontherivet77 »

Regards the saddle and handlebars I would suggest a Brooks B66s (which has integrated springs) and a set of Nitto North Road style handlebars with a frame that has a tall head tube. This should put you in the right place for sit up and beg riding. I'll leave the other stuff to the more technically minded forumites.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Have you been advised an upright position is best for your specific back problem? The more upright you are the more weight your lumbar has to support and the more compressive load your spine endures over rough surfaces.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

PigzMightFly wrote:The main priority is light weight, I have a budget of around £400 maybe a bit more if I get exactly what I want.

It's often thought that light weight is important but especially in your case it shouldn't be a high priority.
When riding on level ground at a steady speed the weight of a bicycle plays a very minor role in reducing effort. When you climb steep hills or accelerate the bike it can have an effect.

On level ground at the speeds a fairly fit non-athlete might ride at, roughly half the effort goes into overcoming air resistance and the other half into overcoming rolling resistance. You reduce air resistance by riding in a less than upright position and by wearing clothes that fit closely and don't flap about. If you want to be upright then you have to pay a penalty in terms of air resistance and you can't do much about it. You reduce rolling resistance by using tyres which roll well, pumped up to a suitable pressure, so you can do something about this though such tyres do cost a fair bit, perhaps £20+ each. In my view it's well worth it.

Going back to the weight issue, if you imagine you have a bike of 13 kg, which a hybrid bike might well weigh, and you yourself weigh say 70 kg then the total is 83 kg. If you reduce the weight of the bike by 2 kg which might actually cost quite a bit of money, then the total weight, which is what matters, goes down from 83 to 81 kg a percentage reduction of just 2.4%. This means that when climbing an extremely steep hill it will take you just 2.4% less time to climb the hill or conversely you'll do it with only 2.4% less effort! If the hill is only moderately steep then the difference will be even less since the saving will be masked by the air resistance effect which won't change.

Because of all this if you have a fairly limited budget then if I were you I'd put the money into comfort and reliability rather than low weight.

As an example of what I'm saying, I just switched the wheels and tyres on one of my bikes from summer to winter ones so that I could use it on a muddy slippery cycle track to go shopping each week. The difference in weight will be between 1 and 2 kg but although I can detect the difference when I try lifting the bike, when I ride it it's hard to detect any difference. at all.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

My friend who dropped a piano on himself says he prefers his old full sus bike to his new hardtail

At £400 you are better off buying off the shelf or used than self build, but if you do self build, I suggest 3x9 as the way to go.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I know this is way beyond your budget, but this would give you a well engineered no-nonsense bike and if you visit the shop you can get it fitted so that you get the sitting position you need.

https://spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p4009/SP ... ar-8-Speed

Spec ( and price) is variable.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you can buy almost exactly what you want (for buttons more or less) if you buy a used Carrera Subway. These usually come with an aluminium frame, steel fork, suspension seat post, and versions have been made with rim brakes, disc brakes, or hub gear and roller brakes. A basic model with 26" wheels, rim brakes and 2x derailleur gearing will come in about 26-27 lbs weight.

You'll be able to buy quite a nice one for about £100 which will leave you lots left over to make it exactly what you want. At the least I'd expect to have to fettle things, replace the sprockets and chain, after that better (more suited to your kind of riding) tyres would be a good idea.

You can build a bike for £400 (from all new cheap parts) but it won't be very good or very lightweight. I'd set the budget for "something lighter/better than a subway" self built at about double that amount.

The main benefit to light weight is that you might go a tiny bit faster uphill. Since you are riding for exercise, not racing and you won't be going fast anyway (most of the drag is aero and you will be sat up in the breeze incurring plenty of it) I don't see any great virtue in spending a fortune on lightweight parts. For your kind of riding I think good tyres (with low rolling resistance) will make more difference anyway.

A Subway is a versatile bike because it is capable of doing lots of different things with just a few changes; this means that if you want to dip your toe into riding offroad or going touring, you will be able to 'have a go' without too much difficulty. Jack of all trades, master of none? Maybe. But there are much worse ways of spending about a hundred quid on bike stuff than buying a used subway.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

In my opinion,core strength helps cycling,not the other way round.This is my experience after suffering a bulging disc a year ago,crippling me.I started back/core exercises,am now back on the bike and feel more comfortable now than before the injury.My posture is a lot better and my lower back feels solid.I would combine bike plus exercises but definitely exercises.
whoof

Post by whoof »

cyclop wrote:In my opinion,core strength helps cycling,not the other way round.

I would agree many cyclist with 100,000s of miles of riding behind them have quite poor core strength.
Perhaps you might want to speak to a (Sports) sports physiotherapist.

This is from Cycling Weekly on building core strength FOR cycling not FROM cycling.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/t ... ills-31170

BTW I am not suggesting you try any of the exercises until you have sought medical advice.