Fixed wheel: Why? Why not? Vote now please!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.

Fixie: Why? Why not?

Fixed is my first choice
23%
Love fixed, love freewheel
25%
Used to ride fixed, no more
8%
Not tried fixed. Yet
15%
Fixed where suitable
3%
Fixed in winter
No votes
Fixed when I was young and free
3%
Freewheel only, lots of gears
13%
Prefer single freewheel
10%
Love to try fixed with gears
3%

Total votes: 40

Pneumant

Re: Fixie: Why?

Post by Pneumant »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Picked up my new fixie wheel yesterday, 28x1.75, 32 spokes, nice Sturmey-Archer hub, cartridge bearings I think
Fitted it today, rode to the book exchange, then a loop through the woods, drizzly, lovely colours
Easy riding fixed without toeclips, hardly needed to think, didnae try to freewheel
Got a very low gear, about 50", feels right, wanted a lower gear for a moment mind when waiting to pass some joggers :wink:
Been used to riding with gears, I wonder which is my go to bike now

FFF, Fixies For Future!

Glad you are liking the bike, fixed really is something special! If you have not already done so I recommend that you remove and refit your sprocket - use copaslip on the the threads as they can be 'devils' to remove when stuck. A custom super-long chain whip (easy to DIY using steel bar and old chain) is most useful for this task.
Last edited by Pneumant on 6 Nov 2019, 8:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

Duplicate post deleted.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I put lots of oil on the threads, that should suffice, right?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

The solid lubricants and metal particles stay whilst oil runneth away over time. I would think that oil probably won't be sufficient if you use it for any length of time.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I put lots of oil on the threads, that should suffice, right?

for a while, yes. But not for years, no, for the reasons Alex suggests.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Which hubs are you people using for fixed riding on the roads in the winter?
fossala

Post by fossala »

alexnharvey wrote:Which hubs are you people using for fixed riding on the roads in the winter?

Dura ace 7710 but I wouldn't recommend it as I have to repack them constantly. I have some Mack hubs on order, over 200g lighter (f+r) and sealed bearings.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

alexnharvey wrote:Which hubs are you people using for fixed riding on the roads in the winter?

Novatec sealed bearing hubs have been very reliable for me, I normally prefer C+C but these have been pretty good, one set of bearings replaced after about 3 years and the replacements are still going ok another 3 years later.

Also have some random unknown brand cup and cone hubs on my commuter, filled them with a heavy duty marine grease when I got them as I just wanted to ignore them and do far it’s worked...ridden in all weather every day but not big mileage but they haven’t needed any attention yet
webber

Post by webber »

Goldtec :D
mig

Post by mig »

'sovus' cheapos from 25 years ago. drilled and i squirt some decent grease in them every so often. they've done mega miles and are still okay. have seen some flood water action in recent days and shrug it off. they're not going to feature on the new olympic spec gb track bike but ...hey :wink:

ps what frame is the OP's new bike?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It is a cheap but light frame from the LBS, came with a three-speed hub gear
Just about managed to get the tyres up to pressure :?

I have a Sturmey-Archer LF (no holes in flanges) fixed/free hub, are fixed/fixed hubs (better) available, how expensive?
What gear ratio do others use?
Why is riding fixed not much more popular?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

'better'...? In what way?

As others have noted if you keep the bearings well greased most hubs can last well but if you don't bother and you ride in the weather, you can soon need new ones.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've enjoyed riding fixed on the Manchester Velodrome a few times (& once at the Glasgow one). I was going to do more but too much "life" got in the way. I may get back into it at some point.

Outside the velodrome I don't think it would work for me - to get to or from home entails going either up or down a hill that exceeds 20% in places. Down I get to around 25-30mph (limited by sight-lines), up is nearer 4mph where a 24" gear is welcome (& I occasionally wish for a lower one). If I'm coming home from a regular bike/train trip I've got about 1000ft of ascent to do - in 8 miles from Wigan or 15 from Newton-Le-Willows - with ~250ft in the last 1/2 mile.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I use basic PlanetX ones. They've been fine, and sealed bearings mean that you replace the whole bearing anyway when those go. I used mine for daily commuting for years, although a change of job means that I no longer ride fixed to work (now take a Brompton into London).
fossala

Post by fossala »

RickH wrote:I've enjoyed riding fixed on the Manchester Velodrome a few times (& once at the Glasgow one). I was going to do more but too much "life" got in the way. I may get back into it at some point.

Outside the velodrome I don't think it would work for me - to get to or from home entails going either up or down a hill that exceeds 20% in places. Down I get to around 25-30mph (limited by sight-lines), up is nearer 4mph where a 24" gear is welcome (& I occasionally wish for a lower one). If I'm coming home from a regular bike/train trip I've got about 1000ft of ascent to do - in 8 miles from Wigan or 15 from Newton-Le-Willows - with ~250ft in the last 1/2 mile.

Just checked Strava, my commute is on fixed and entails 1300ft of climbing in 10miles, this include something that is around 20% as well. It's doable as I do it 4 days a week.