Fixed wheel: Why? Why not? Vote now please!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.

Fixie: Why? Why not?

Fixed is my first choice
23%
Love fixed, love freewheel
25%
Used to ride fixed, no more
8%
Not tried fixed. Yet
15%
Fixed where suitable
3%
Fixed in winter
No votes
Fixed when I was young and free
3%
Freewheel only, lots of gears
13%
Prefer single freewheel
10%
Love to try fixed with gears
3%

Total votes: 40

Brucey

Re: Fixie: Why? Why not?

Post by Brucey »

nice!

FWIW the next time I give a fixed gear machine with rear facing dropouts a makeover, I may well fit secu-clips at the rear, so that the 'release' can allow me to remove the rear wheel without otherwise disturbing the mudguard. Further to that, if there is enough length in the stays, I may put a joggle into the stays so that I have something to pull against when using this feature.

Currently in my stable the track bike has rear facing dropouts but the road fixed machine has forward facing ones.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fossala

Post by fossala »

seph wrote:https://i.redd.it/s01ev4375gz31.jpg
I like the look of your Corrado Fossala. Was it originally a track frame? If so, how do you find the geometry for longer rides?
I have an old Steve goff track frame that Ive thought about using for long distance stuff, just not sure that I’d find it as comfy as the converted touring frame that I normally use, (and I do like to run mudguards too :lol: )

I don't think it was ever a track frame. The seat tube nor headtube is especially steap and the BB isn't high either. I've rode all my audaxs in the last 12 months fixed. Can't see myself going back to gears any time soon.
Tinpotflowers

Post by Tinpotflowers »

Brucey wrote:nice!

FWIW the next time I give a fixed gear machine with rear facing dropouts a makeover, I may well fit secu-clips at the rear, so that the 'release' can allow me to remove the rear wheel without otherwise disturbing the mudguard. Further to that, if there is enough length in the stays, I may put a joggle into the stays so that I have something to pull against when using this feature.

Currently in my stable the track bike has rear facing dropouts but the road fixed machine has forward facing ones.

cheers

I have use secure clips also but in addition on the joggle fitting I use ss wing nuts and a qr on the hub to avoid the use of a spanner.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

fossala wrote:
I like the look of your Corrado Fossala. Was it originally a track frame? If so, how do you find the geometry for longer rides?
I have an old Steve goff track frame that Ive thought about using for long distance stuff, just not sure that I’d find it as comfy as the converted touring frame that I normally use, (and I do like to run mudguards too :lol: )

I don't think it was ever a track frame. The seat tube nor headtube is especially steap and the BB isn't high either. I've rode all my audaxs in the last 12 months fixed. Can't see myself going back to gears any time soon.

Care to expand on that? Do you ride only fixed now, are you especially fit because you ride fixed? Do you go as fast as on gears, or faster?
I had a Viking fixed bike, red (went pink in the rain) with round-section fork blades
Is it inadvisable to use a front brake for fear of bending the forks?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mig

Post by mig »

I find that I'm more consistent speed wise on fixed than running gears. Also that I'm better riding into the wind.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

considering you are constrained to be almost 'part of the machine', riding fixed gear is curiously liberating in a way.

There is no doubt what you should be doing; just pedal.

No stray thoughts about changing gear or freewheeling, just pedal.

Hardly ever need to use the brake; just pedal.

Ease off the pressure and the bike pushes you; just pedal.

It becomes almost hypnotic; just pedal.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fossala

Post by fossala »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
fossala wrote:

Care to expand on that? Do you ride only fixed now, are you especially fit because you ride fixed? Do you go as fast as on gears, or faster?
I had a Viking fixed bike, red (went pink in the rain) with round-section fork blades
Is it inadvisable to use a front brake for fear of bending the forks?

Yes, fixed only. This isn't as a bragging right, it just feels more enjoyable. When I fettle my wifes bike I do a quick lap round the block and don't feel like I'm missing anything.

I am much faster since riding fixed. I can't only attribute this to riding fixed although I do believe it has helped. I also don't know if I'm faster on fixed or not because I haven't overlapped both types of riding.
catsnapper

Post by catsnapper »

Another alternative hub unit.

Sram Torpedo Singlespeednabe Fix / Free 32L NOT a flip flop, but a screwdriver adjustable key hub. Available for 14 euros

https://www.zweiradnetz.de/laufrad/nabe ... 32l-kaufen

I use 3 fixed gear bikes - A Dialled bikes Love/Hate frame with built in eccentric, an oldish Pompino Mk 3 and a Planet X RT-58 V2 with a standard size BB eccentric and Sturmey Archer S3X.
Yes, the 3 speed does have a lot of backlash, but the direct drive is set at 68" giving me a couple of lower gears when needed, and it's easy to fit a freewheel onto it.
This area is quite flat with a couple of short and not too steep climbs so the fixies are ideal.
My only freewheel bike is a single speed shopper :)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

My fixie has become my go-to bike, partly because I do not want to bother switching the locks to my other bike, but I prefer fixed too

Not done any long rides yet
It makes me work a bit harder, braking with my legs. But braking with a coaster brake seems easier and more effective :?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 3 Dec 2019, 7:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
pq

Post by pq »

I've been riding a fixed for not far short of 40 years now, but I recently learned new stuff about it.

I emigrated to the south of France 6 years ago to a fairly hilly place. I'd intended to sell my fixed bike, but was too busy - was rather annoyed when it was the first thing off the removal van. Since it was here anyway I decided to give it a bash, and it's been fine. Yesterday I even rode it over a proper named col. Not easy, but OK.

A couple of years ago I wore the chainring out (a 44T). I didn't have another one, so put one of my old track rings on as a temporary fix - a 47. So now, not only am I riding somewhere far too hilly, I'm also overgeared. To my surprise it's still absolutely fine, and I still haven't ordered another 44.

So, yes, I've ridden and raced a lot on fixed, but it seems it's not as hard as even I thought.
One link to your website is enough. G
mig

Post by mig »

pq wrote:I've been riding a fixed for not far short of 40 years now, but I recently learned new stuff about it.

I emigrated to the south of France 6 years ago to a fairly hilly place. I'd intended to sell my fixed bike, but was too busy - was rather annoyed when it was the first thing off the removal van. Since it was here anyway I decided to give it a bash, and it's been fine. Yesterday I even rode it over a proper named col. Not easy, but OK.

A couple of years ago I wore the chainring out (a 44T). I didn't have another one, so put one of my old track rings on as a temporary fix - a 47. So now, not only am I riding somewhere far too hilly, I'm also overgeared. To my surprise it's still absolutely fine, and I still haven't ordered another 44.

So, yes, I've ridden and raced a lot on fixed, but it seems it's not as hard as even I thought.

do you see any other road riders out there 'on the cog'?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just did my longest ride on my new fixie so far, 47 km, feeling smug, runs perfectly, simple and quiet, lovely grey landscape, I did not get too tired

Planning a longer ride soon with hills, should I wimp out and use my geared bike?
brumster

Post by brumster »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Just did my longest ride on my new fixie so far, 47 km, feeling smug, runs perfectly, simple and quiet, lovely grey landscape, I did not get too tired

Planning a longer ride soon with hills, should I wimp out and use my geared bike?

No ! :) - You may be surprised and find longer rides can be easier on fixed.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is riding a fixie a good Anti-theft strategy? Would a typical tea-leaf* be able to ride my simple perfect machine?

*cockney rhyming slang: thief
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

brumster wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Just did my longest ride on my new fixie so far, 47 km, feeling smug, runs perfectly, simple and quiet, lovely grey landscape, I did not get too tired

No ! :) - You may be surprised and find longer rides can be easier on fixed.

Easier than with gears and freewheel?