Longest burn time lights.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Carlton green

Re: Longest burn time lights.

Postby Carlton green » 9 Nov 2019, 6:49pm

It’s been interesting to follow this thread and to see the diversity of informed views about a supposedly common experience (riding at night). As ever experiences differ and so do people’s needs.

On reliability I don’t recall a blown bulb or light failure to have been a major problem in the past but then I’ve always ridden relatively slowly and been mindful of what my courses of action would need to be if I suddenly found myself without any light. All that said I’m of the school of thought that says endeavour to have a plan ‘b’, which used to be carry a small torch and have replacement bulbs in your tool kit + batteries if used.

My Utility bike has Smart brand battery lights which are better than OK for around town (I’m happy enough with them), but the (0.5 watt ?) front light output limits safe progress along dark country lanes - a head torch has helped me out in the past - and the front light batteries don’t last long enough for me either. However, for the money I really shouldn’t complain, fantastic value for the price if limited performance.

I’m using my old tourer at the moment and that has a bottle Dynamo and halogen headlight, both work fine for what I want out of them and have been on my bike for literally decades. As an independent safety feature I’m minded to fit some long run time battery lights to the front and back. The light output doesn’t need to be much, I’d prefer AA batteries to be used and want many many hours of use out of them (so low current drain, no worries about suddenly going flat and high efficiency). I imagine that they would be something like Smart’s RL401W and RL403R but using AA rather than AAA batteries. There’s still some of Smart’s old 3 LED ‘headlights’ for sale on eBay, they don’t give a lot of light (OK for Town use) but do use AA cells and the battery running life is long - come to think of it I have one of those lights somewhere. What’s worth looking at and what’s to be avoided?

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 10 Nov 2019, 11:19am

mattheus wrote:and riding with NO rear light isn't the MOST dangerous way to ride a bike).

I can't think of many more dangerous things than being on a dark country lane with no rear light. Possibly under trees, possibly with not even friendly moonlight. If you can think of/do anything more dangerous than that I'd be interested, possibly impressed, to hear it.
Sweep

SA_SA_SA

Postby SA_SA_SA » 10 Nov 2019, 1:06pm

Sweep wrote:
mattheus wrote:and riding with NO rear light isn't the MOST dangerous way to ride a bike).

I can't think of many more dangerous things than being on a dark country lane with no rear light. Possibly under trees, possibly with not even friendly moonlight. If you can think of/do anything more dangerous than that I'd be interested, possibly impressed, to hear it.

surly dangerous is the wrong word: without a rear lamp you are placing yourself at risk of persons driving negligently at a speed beyond the range they can see/headlamps illuminate (and even that of a rear reflector lighting up...) :

but as the early 20th CTC noted rear lamps can fail and why should blame be transferred to cyclist from the negligent party?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 10 Nov 2019, 1:10pm

And your views on a car being driven down same lane without lights?
Sweep

mjr

Postby mjr » 10 Nov 2019, 6:59pm

Based on this evening's journey, between 5% and 10% of cars have only one working headlight and I see some car being driven on sidelights only every hour or so: possibly they're one that was on one headlight and then that failed. Also, now about half seem to have at least one light levelled illegally high, too!

Rear light failures seem less common now that LED lights are widespread.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Samuel D

Postby Samuel D » 10 Nov 2019, 7:26pm

mjr wrote:Rear light failures seem less common now that LED lights are widespread.

Yes, but, at least here in Paris, too often they’re not on because the car has daytime running lamps and the driver is too ditzy to turn on the night lamps. Shows how often they look at the speedometer!

SA_SA_SA

Postby SA_SA_SA » 11 Nov 2019, 12:09pm

Sweep wrote:And your views on a car being driven down same lane without <rear> lights?

The same of course (actually there might be some value in banning steel boxed vehicles like cars having tail lamps or severely limiting their brightness so that vulnerable road users with limited power supplies gain an advantage. They would of course still have rear reflectors and reflective number plates) .
I am not suggesting no front headlamp(s) and neither was the early/mid 20th century CTC...
Last edited by SA_SA_SA on 11 Nov 2019, 12:12pm, edited 4 times in total.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 11 Nov 2019, 12:10pm

Sweep wrote:

You don't have much imagination, do you??

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 11 Nov 2019, 12:41pm

mattheus wrote:
Sweep wrote:

You don't have much imagination, do you??

Rather than the snarky comment, feel free to answer the question.
I have plenty of imagination thank you.
When it comes to bike riding and safety though I tend to use the practical bit of my mind rather than its creative side.
Sweep

Carlton green

Postby Carlton green » 11 Nov 2019, 3:21pm

Sweep wrote:

I’d rather hear about long burn time lights, but to save you and mattheus having cross words here’s just a few things that I think are at least equally or more dangerous than riding a bike without a rear light down a dark country lane (I agree with you that it is a very dangerous thing to do).

Riding whilst under the influence of drugs.

Riding whilst distinctly drunk (8 pints worth of cider level).

Riding the wrong way down a busy one way street without a front light (at night time), particularly so if all dressed in dark colours and no reflectors.

Night time riding without any lights or reflectors on an urban minor road or pavement (which is bad enough) and then having someone sitting on the handlebars.

Riding with no working brakes (particularly so in hilly areas).

Night time riding on a fast dual carriageway without lights and reflectors - even with lights and reflectors it’s a chancy activity.

Riding at night in very thick fog and riding at night in torrential rain.

I hope that the above examples help to restore peace.

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 11 Nov 2019, 4:29pm

Thank-you :)

A Nobel Peace Prize is on its way!

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 11 Nov 2019, 6:02pm

Carlton green wrote:
Sweep wrote:

I’d rather hear about long burn time lights, but to save you and mattheus having cross words here’s just a few things that I think are at least equally or more dangerous than riding a bike without a rear light down a dark country lane (I agree with you that it is a very dangerous thing to do).

Riding whilst under the influence of drugs.

Riding whilst distinctly drunk (8 pints worth of cider level).

Riding the wrong way down a busy one way street without a front light (at night time), particularly so if all dressed in dark colours and no reflectors.

Night time riding without any lights or reflectors on an urban minor road or pavement (which is bad enough) and then having someone sitting on the handlebars.

Riding with no working brakes (particularly so in hilly areas).

Night time riding on a fast dual carriageway without lights and reflectors - even with lights and reflectors it’s a chancy activity.

Riding at night in very thick fog and riding at night in torrential rain.

I hope that the above examples help to restore peace.

Thanks carlton _ i think that's plotted it on the scale.
Sweep

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » 17 Nov 2019, 11:22pm

I have good wheels currently that I have no I intention of replacing so that rules out a dynamo. So the orginal question stands what is the long burn time front light. I build wheels for a living. I could build a set of dynamo wheels if I wanted to but I dont want to. I do alot of night riding and am fine with my current light. Having done a 12hr mtb night race of the volt 1700 on dim setting I can say the amount of light is more than enough even for single track.

Pbp was done on the same light this year along with many other long distance rides at night. I have no issues with battery powered lights or carrying spare batteries.
On pbp I carried two volt 300 as spare back ups and three rear lights just in case. I'd do the same with a dynamo. I dont take chances. So can we stick to the question please.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 18 Nov 2019, 2:45am

thecycleclinic wrote:…. I could build a set of dynamo wheels if I wanted to but I dont want to. I do alot of night riding and am fine with my current light. Having done a 12hr mtb night race of the volt 1700 on dim setting I can say the amount of light is more than enough ....

There's something to be said for battery lights when MTBing; e.g. they don't go dim when you are doing the very slow nadgery bits, and faffing with batteries a couple of times a week or something is not the same kind of schlep as doing it every single day. Also having bright lights with simple parabolic reflectors in the woods is OK whereas on the road it just annoys other road users.

But otherwise there are no miracles out there; most (good) commercially available LEDs have up to about 200 lumens per watt, beam shapes do vary but not by that much, and batteries have a certain watt-hour capacity. Spend more, do slightly better, have slightly different features. If you are happy with what you have got, then it rather begs the question how much better/different anything else might be before you would splash out.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 18 Nov 2019, 6:41pm

thecycleclinic wrote:I have good wheels currently that I have no I intention of replacing so that rules out a dynamo. So the orginal question stands what is the long burn time front light. I build wheels for a living. I could build a set of dynamo wheels if I wanted to but I dont want to. I do alot of night riding and am fine with my current light. Having done a 12hr mtb night race of the volt 1700 on dim setting I can say the amount of light is more than enough even for single track.

Pbp was done on the same light this year along with many other long distance rides at night. I have no issues with battery powered lights or carrying spare batteries.
On pbp I carried two volt 300 as spare back ups and three rear lights just in case. I'd do the same with a dynamo. I dont take chances. So can we stick to the question please.

Makes sense to me.
My hesitancy to go dynamo, even tho i do a fair bit of night riding, is because i do that night riding on four different bikes.
I look forward to the rest of the thread on battery lights.
Sweep