Best Track Pump

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bikerwaser

Best Track Pump

Post by bikerwaser »

I'd like to hear recomendations for Track Pumps with dual head that are a reasonable price please ?

Maybe if you could give the name and how long you've had it for at least.

Thanks

Bikerwaser
colin54

Re: Best Track Pump

Post by colin54 »

The last time we blew this way:-
viewtopic.php?t=117192
I've got the Topeak Joe Blow one mentioned here, had it a couple of years no problems so far, maybe not shop quality but good enough for home use, I think I got mine on offer from Halfords.
Nu-Fogey
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

Thanks Colin.

I did do a search for this topic but the Cycling UK search facility is less than useless.

I generally do a google search with Cycling UK in the search terms and that finds it better but not this time.

Cheers
pwa

Post by pwa »

My Topeak Joe Blow must be ten years old and simply does the job. A couple of years ago the hose began to look cracked (as rubber does eventually) so I replaced that and the head with Topeak spares. I can't think of a single reason to spend more.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Yep. Topeak Joe Blow gets my vote too. Used it almost daily in my bike business for several years.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

peetee wrote:Yep. Topeak Joe Blow gets my vote too. Used it almost daily in my bike business for several years.

I'll second that,I've owned one for about 8or9years and have nothing but praise for it :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

I have a cheap basic track pump, an airwave from wiggle The original head really annoyed me, the twist to lock mechanism was very difficult to operate and I blame it for bending presta valves. The crunch came when I couldn't find a replacement rubber seal fit the Schrader side.
I replaced it with an sks multivalve head and the pump is transformed from an instrument of frustration to being a useful tool. Wish I'd done it years ago, only cost 6.50 too.
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Specialized gets my vote, all metal construction, under £90 in the seasonal sales.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I still vote for SKS. The heads are a joy to use and the pumps seem well made.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Jules wanted to know why i was reading about Breast Pumps .... until i suggested she get her glasses on ....... :shock:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Topeak Joe Blow sport

A mate of mine owns a cycle shop and said it would probably outlive me .
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

"Jules wanted to know why I was reading about Breast Pumps .... until I suggested she get her glasses on ....... " ... was it just the "breast" pump she saw, or "breast pump" PLUS Joe Blow.....?!

Still SKS for me, but not the single hole smart head which is the rare time I use the term "rubbish" - usually doesn't push the SV core in to let the air in, so it becomes 6 bar to start inflating a flat tube, and 10 bar to inflate to 4 bar.....
Generally I find smart heads eventualy get a sticky ball in and stop switching from SV to PV when you want it to. A dismantle and clean usually sorts it. I gave up at work and use separate pumps for SV and PV.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I've got a Joe blow sport (yellow one) that has served me well for a good few years. At work I have a cheaper Joe blow (black one), can't remember the model, but it is a tool of ignorance in comparison to the sport. It is far less smooth and much harder to pump with.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
gaz

Post by gaz »

Joe Blow Sport.

After ten years of use (weekly top up on commuter plus other assorted duties) the seal on the Presta side has failed.

It owes me nothing, I'll buy some new seals shortly as Topeak still supply spares. In the meantime I've swapped out the whole 'twin head' for a slightly older one I already had kicking about.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Polisman wrote:Specialized gets my vote, all metal construction, under £90 in the seasonal sales.

I have a Specialized one (its decent, and its what the local bike shop stocked). The only complaint is the "both valves" head with the lever to lock things. Tends to let a lot of air out of tyres when removing if not pulled off the valve very quickly. I fixed that by adding a home-made plastic bung on the Shrader side - all our bikes are Presta.

Like others have implied, I think its the head which makes the biggest difference. If a pump is annoying, try a new head on it first.

- Nigel