Downtube Shifter

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Ontherivet77

Downtube Shifter

Post by Ontherivet77 »

Will any LH friction downtube shifter work with a Shimano Tiagra 4500 front mech?
KM2

Re: Downtube Shifter

Post by KM2 »

It should do, if it pulls the correct length of cable.
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

KM2 wrote:It should do, if it pulls the correct length of cable.

How do you establish what cable pull is needed?
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Brucey will know!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

usually they have a stop/clickless mode so will work, though why any one wants to use a downtup shifter these days escapes me.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mercalia wrote:usually they have a stop/clickless mode so will work, though why any one wants to use a downtup shifter these days escapes me.

Why? because its the only running bike i have at my disposal? :D Yes indeedy was out today on my very old skool commute/hack bitsa which is running 2x7 with d/t shifters, the LH is friction, the RH is indexed. Was very surprised at how easily i adapted to using the old technology again after decades of using Ergo's / STi's.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ontherivet77 wrote:Will any LH friction downtube shifter work with a Shimano Tiagra 4500 front mech?

A friction lever/shifter will work with any front mech,or rear mech FTM.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
freiston

Post by freiston »

reohn2 wrote:
Ontherivet77 wrote:Will any LH friction downtube shifter work with a Shimano Tiagra 4500 front mech?

Aren't there some mechs that require a total cable pull (to get the full range of gears) which is greater than some friction shifters can manage?
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
scottg

Post by scottg »

If you are running 11s rear, you may need a larger shifter barrel.
the front shifter is normal size.
Retro-friction on both levers.

9ce3b8331153bdc6263386a3b14d683f.jpg

https://velo-orange.com/collections/shi ... t-shifters
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
rjb

Post by rjb »

If you need to pull more cable increase the diameter of the lever. Easy trick to do this is to slip a suitable short length of pvc tube over the cable at the shifter end. The insulation you strip from 3 core mains cable when wiring a plug is a good source. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
DNC123

Post by DNC123 »

rjb wrote:If you need to pull more cable increase the diameter of the lever. Easy trick to do this is to slip a suitable short length of pvc tube over the cable at the shifter end. The insulation you strip from 3 core mains cable when wiring a plug is a good source. :wink:

Didn't Shimano supply something like that to allow 7 speed shifters to be used with 6 speed mechs and blocks? Came in the box didn't it?
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Mostly, yes.
The travel on a double-chainset is not that long so almost any Lh friction shifter will do. The problem arises when the shifter is not able to hold the tension.
That is the reason why old Shimano thumbshifters (so are my old Deore Xt and DX) had a "reversed" spring that made the lever a bit harder to go down (to compensate the spring pulling down), this also made it a bit easier to win the spring of the derailleur.
Micro-indexed (or "retrofriction", as some of the Simplex were) will work well too.
Just avoid a shidter that is a bit loose and won't hold the cable tension, of course you ought to have the plastic concave washer inside the shifter, that's correctly fitted and not too worn
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

freiston wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Aren't there some mechs that require a total cable pull (to get the full range of gears) which is greater than some friction shifters can manage?

Not that I'm aware of,but I stand corrected if there are.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yes, pretty much.

BTW there is something to be said for the simplicity of DT friction levers; once they are set up and working, they might outlast everything else on the bike.... And is there any substitute for the little glow of satisfaction that accompanies a well-executed one-handed double-shift...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
nsew

Post by nsew »

CX-3 wrote:
rjb wrote:If you need to pull more cable increase the diameter of the lever. Easy trick to do this is to slip a suitable short length of pvc tube over the cable at the shifter end. The insulation you strip from 3 core mains cable when wiring a plug is a good source. :wink:

Didn't Shimano supply something like that to allow 7 speed shifters to be used with 6 speed mechs and blocks? Came in the box didn't it?

This one. I concur with Brucey’s comments above. I use 7 speed bar end shifters fired from the centre of drop bars but they don’t quite match the positivity of 7 speed downtube shifters.
Attachments
0A9D8630-0A4A-4AD5-B49C-6DA3CC809D5E.jpeg
0A9D8630-0A4A-4AD5-B49C-6DA3CC809D5E.jpeg (10.78 KiB) Viewed 726 times