Lockit seatposts Kalloy

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rjb

Lockit seatposts Kalloy

Post by rjb »

Anyone recall these seatposts made by Kalloy marked with a "Lockit" logo. I think they were made so a bike lock could be slid inside through the access tube on the back and held in place at the tube entry. The locks could have been manufactured by Squires. I have one on my tourer but the access hole contains a blank plug. Never thought it could have contained a lock. :shock:
Lockit seat pin
Lockit seat pin
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Brucey

Re: Lockit seatposts Kalloy

Post by Brucey »

never seen one in the flesh.

It rather begs the question as to why it is that the would-be thief wouldn't just remove the whole seat pin instead of just the saddle...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Brucey wrote:never seen one in the flesh.

It rather begs the question as to why it is that the would-be thief wouldn't just remove the whole seat pin instead of just the saddle...?

cheers

If I understand the OP, it's a bike lock and the seat post just provides a convenient way of transporting it. When you stop, you pull the cable lock out of the access hole in the back of the seatpost and use it to lock the bike up. It's a bit clearer in the photos for this eBay listing. Clever, but I don't think I'd want one.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I see what you mean. It would make (a little) more sense to me if the thing was configured so that the lock could then be used to secure the seat pin/saddle as well as just carry it around...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rjb

Post by rjb »

The squire cable locks were meant to secure your bike and provided a convenient means to carry a bike lock. I seen a few of the seatposts but never seen the lock which it was designed to carry. I think it's a clever idea which never got off the ground, possibly due to poor marketing.
In the absence of a cable lock what else can I store in there? Suggestions welcome!
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D