Garmin Edge range- thoughts?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Darkman

Garmin Edge range- thoughts?

Post by Darkman »

Looked at a ton of these recently and they look good on the face of it and many people recommend them, but a lot of people (in reviews) seem to say that the battery discharges even when not in use, and they crash/freeze a lot.

They aren't cheap, and I wouldn't want to spend that sort of money on something that could end up as much use as half a brick sellotaped to my handlebars.

Does anybody use anything in the Garmin Edge range? Which specific model? Are there better options?

I have NO sense of direction so turn by turn mapping is a must.
DNC123

Re: Garmin Edge range- thoughts?

Post by DNC123 »

I use a 520. It's very good. Battery life is excellent for my needs. I can navigate with it if I upload an accurate route. I can keep track of my mileage, times and other data. All works well. It will upload direct to Strava which I use as a glorified spreadsheet. No.problens with performance. It works first time every time.

But...I haven't found a way to quickly change from one display to the other. It seems to be either or...
I've heard that the new 530 does have this facility.

However I've worked out a way round. I use the 520 for basic ride info, and I use my old hillwalking eTrex for navigation. Two units on my bars, but works well.

If I only wanted navigation I think I would just use the eTrex because the screen is bigger and can be programmed better for warnings etc.

I did a lot of research before buying the 520, but it seems that there are no foolproof units around. All seem to have some drawbacks so it's just a matter of choosing which suits you best. As with everything you will get lots of recommendations based on what posters own.

It really is a minefield.
scottg

Post by scottg »

The thing to remember with Garmin bike computers is they're programmed by the interns.
The A Team is on avionics, the B Team is on radar, the interns and layabouts
work on bike computers. That said, buy the newer units they aren't bad, the old
ones are the sort of thing you stomp on by the side of the road, in utter frustration.
A computer that breaks, is bad, a computer that works most of the time,
then goes toes up, then works fine the next ride, is the worst.

DC Rainmaker has lovely detailed reviews and comparison charts.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

My first Garmin was a Touring which had a card containing all the maps - all for about £150. However, it would only just last for 180km and needed a boost from a power monkey. No real problem.
However, it regularly crashed. I eventually found that this was due to the turn by turn navigation. "Navigation error - turning off". Once I confined it to map only it never crashed again. It became clear that the battery was steadily losing capacity - and finally the wet got to it and it wouldn't charge. The cost of repair wasn't worth it IMO.
I wanted a heart monitor so I bought a secondhand 810 with heart monitor and cadence sensor. I still don't use turn by turn indications from force of habit and it hasn't crashed yet. The 810 comes without maps but I used the map card from the Touring. Every time I switch it on it says "can't load maps" - yet it does use the maps so I'm happy.
Friends have mainly got the 810 or the 1,000 (1,020/1,030) explorer at vast expense but these do seem to work pretty well. Personally I find the detailed maps highly desirable. The basic maps that are supposed to be pre loaded on the 810 didn't seem to work for me.
Sometimes the Garmin keeps running when I'm stopped at the cafe and the indicated average speed drops like a stone. However, I record my rides on Strava and that reworks the data and all is well.
I keep threatening to get a competitor brand, eg Wahoo, but the Garmin seems to be reliable at present.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

I've owned a number of Garmin cycling GPS units, and I would say: never buy one until it's been on the market at least 18 months or so. Garmin puts features first and stability later; the firmware in their units when they're first released is usually riddled with bugs; and a lot of the basic functionality doesn't work properly until quite a number of firmware updates later. As an example, Garmin seem to have finally managed to get rid of most of the bugs in the Edge 1030 that I have, and that's only taken them about two years from the initial release.

As for maps to use for navigation, I suggest using the OSM maps that can be freely downloaded from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/. I've used them quite extensively for navigation while touring. I used a Garmin Edge 1000 for T-B-T navigation across Switzerland and France in 2016, and an Edge 1030 for a tour across Germany and Austria earlier this year. The 1000 would sometimes start to run out of battery at the end of a long day, particularly if I'd had it on the map screen most of the time, but the 1030 has about twice the battery life of the 1000, and I've never got close to running the battery down over a single day. In any case, you can always carry a small lipstick-sized powerbank (e.g. Anker Powercore+ mini) and recharge the GPS with a USB cable while it is still running.

I usually work out most of my routes ahead of time using the RideWithGPS website, but I've also done it on the fly using my phone and the Locus mapping app, and then copying the route to the GPS via the Garmin<->phone Bluetooth connection.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
The Etrex30X/32X should do everything that you need and it uses AA batteries (lithium are better in cold weather).
I've got the previous Etrex30 model and the only drawback is that the handlebar mount to the back of the Etrex case wears and becomes loose. Free mapping from OSM, etc, but make sure that you choose a routable map version. You can plan your journey on the Etrex but it's far easier on a PC and then transfer the file.
They have proper buttons that can be pushed without needing special gloves and you can add ANT+ sensors as well
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Last summer I had to buy a Garmin 1030 as I was badly let down by my non-Garmin device and I really needed (or wanted) turn by turn navigation on tour. 1030 is over-specified for my use but I could only chose form what the shop had and they only had the 1030!

In UK I use it only as a cycle computer and it records tracks as well - so not stretching it.

But on tour I've used it for 3 months (1 month last year, 2 months this year). Glitches are occasional and it has a few minor quirks - but mostly reliable.

In the 3 months I can only remember it crashing once, and it re-booted, after a brief delay went back onto the same route and continued track recording so it was not a big issue.

Weird "quirks" e.g. when you start a route it goes through a "calculating" stage (displaying 1% ... 2% ... 24% ... etc.). If you start moving off whilst it's still calculating then when it finishes calculating it detects you are no longer at it's start point and starts calculating again, etc. Means you switch it on, start your route, then get prepared i.e. get on the route a few minutes before setting off.

Battery life is excellent; a 5 hr ride and it is often only down to 75%. Plus it seems to recharge really quickly (using my solar panel).

1030 might be over-specified for my use but the larger screen is excellent for navigation.

Last summer, as I had to buy the thing mid-tour, I didn't have time/inclination to setup all the Garmin online internet stuff so did all the route creation on the Garmin itself (i.e. using default map on the device and without internet connectivity). Larger screen probably made this easier. Routes it created were cycle friendly but not as "good" as cycle.travel. Specifying your route (depart, destination, via points) had an irritating bug but that was fixed so all fine now.

I always had a bias against Garmin products which discouraged me from going for their devices. But circumstances encouraged me and I'm very pleased with the device - if I lost it now I'd by the same again (or a newer model if one was available).

Ian
softlips

Post by softlips »

I moved away from Garmin last year and moved to Wahoo. I find it much better. I was patristics of the Garmin needing updates every other week.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’ve had a 1030 for a couple of years. I quite like it. As long as you keep the software updated, it tends not to crap it’s pants quite as regularly as some of the earlier models did. The battery life is much better than earlier Garmins as well. It does all sorts of things that are either genius, or totally unnecessary, depending on your point of view ( Live Strava segments, and your virtual training partner thing) for example. Overall, I think it’s worth having.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

Of the current range one the most popular has been the Edge 830, smaller than the 1030 and for many far more intuitive than the 530.

I still use my 810, their flagship model at the time. I bought it in 2013 and it still does what I personally need it to do well enough for me not to be seduced by the more up to date models that do offer a brighter screen, longer battery life as well as more features. Yes my screen is not as bright, but it is bright enough, the battery also is not as long lasting and I have finished rides with very little battery power remaining but I have never actually ran out, although I do carry a piggy back battery on longer rides these days. It is starting to sound like a valid reason for updating; it's just my sensible head is still winning the battle of I don't really neeeeed one, but I am starting to waaaaaaaaaant one ;).

Ideally you need to know what features you covet which will influence your choice of course, I only want mapping so the Edge® Explore would suffice, although the smaller 830 with brighter screen and longer lasting battery would be my choice now. Many Garmin retailers will have a demo station so you can visibly see how they work. Often the listed features do not tell the whole story, as I referenced earlier the 830 v 530 in many ways is touch screen versus buttons which for some may actually appeal, yet the buttons are small and for many the unit is far less intuitive to use. But, yes some people may prefer the 530 of course and that's where a quick go to see for yourself maybe a good idea.

Although they do send you round the bend occasionally instead of navigating you around it I confess I wouldn't be with it now.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Main requirement is turn by turn navigation (with map).

Also I'd like to be able to calculate/plot routes directly from the device and apparently a lot in the lower end of the range don't do that? But can you then just use a Garmin (or whatever) app to plot the route on your phone or PC and upload to the device?

Good battery life is also a must. I don't ride for hours and hours so it isn't a concern now, but I'd ideally not have to buy another one a year from now, when I'd like to think I could be out riding for most of the day.

The Wahoo ones seem good, but I think I'd go for the Wahoo ROAM, or the Garmin Edge 830 in a money-no-object situation. They're both round about £300.

If I needed one right now, and wanted to grab something not so expensive, the Garmin Edge Explore might be the one.

Dunno why there has to be so many!
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

Darkman wrote:Main requirement is turn by turn navigation (with map).

Also I'd like to be able to calculate/plot routes directly from the device ...

Disregarding the Edge® 130 that although does have a bread crumb trail map display with tbt prompts it's really more about recording data, other than that model then most can calculate/plot routes directly from the device; even my old 810. Note I only ever use that feature if I have no laptop or internet access as it's no where need as effective as plotting a route on my laptop and then added that to the device. The Edge® Explore does have "Round-trip course" feature that can be useful, for example if you are on holiday and suddenly have a spare few hours, work out how far you want to go and the Gamin will work out three courses that you can view-select.

The listed battery life is :

Edge® Explore: Upto 12 hours
Edge® 830: Upto 20 hours
Edge® 810: Upto 17 hours

Note they are listed as "Upto", to achieve those figures you would need to adjust how you use the unit, full brightness with map always shown will get far less, the data screen that flips to the map screen at a tbt junction point will get closer to that listed, just the data screen (mph, distance no mapping etc) on a known route for example will get closer still, although like many listed battery life expectancy I'd treat "Upto" and then deduct some for good measure! I use my 810 on holiday on map all the time, that between each junction will dim down and then get bright when the tbt is needed, I will get about six hours on that setting and I take a battery power bank in my bar bag when out for that long; that I've yet to need. Six hours is of course no where near the 17 upto hours listed, even when it was new I never got anywhere near that!

I find that is a good compromise, the map is dim between tbt points but I can still just about see if I am still on the course, which is highlighted in a colour of choice so even though dimmed down you can still see all is OK. This I find useful as although the unit will peep at you if you go off course it's still good to glance down when approaching a bend in a road for example, if on that bend is a turn off that is in the same trajectory as the road I'm on before the bend then the unit may not warn you with a tbt direction warning, I assume as far as it's concerned you are not turning! You will soon learn the quirks of the unit, the example I have just given being just one. I have recently been cycling in Essex and that very scenario occurred, but because I knew that the unit would potentially do that I made allowances, it was a circular route and the road I could see was about to bend taking me in a direction that didn't seem correct; a quick glass and a tap on the screen brightened the display so I could clearly see I needed to turn, that said if I'd not noticed within a few meters I'd have got an audible warning.
Last edited by Paul Smith SRCC on 10 Nov 2019, 6:06pm, edited 6 times in total.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Darkman wrote:Main requirement is turn by turn navigation (with map).

Also I'd like to be able to calculate/plot routes directly from the device and apparently a lot in the lower end of the range don't do that? But can you then just use a Garmin (or whatever) app to plot the route on your phone or PC and upload to the device?

Good battery life is also a must. I don't ride for hours and hours so it isn't a concern now, but I'd ideally not have to buy another one a year from now, when I'd like to think I could be out riding for most of the day.

The Wahoo ones seem good, but I think I'd go for the Wahoo ROAM, or the Garmin Edge 830 in a money-no-object situation. They're both round about £300.

If I needed one right now, and wanted to grab something not so expensive, the Garmin Edge Explore might be the one.

Dunno why there has to be so many!

Double check if the Wahoo does on-device routing. When I had one (which bugs/failings caused me a nightmare meaning I had to buy the Garmin mod-tour https://psamathe.net/wahoo-elemnt-navigation-review/ - the Wahoo would not do on-device routing. And the other issues I had means I'd personally never buy another Wahoo (I was warned when I purchased it that they get loads back but it was cheap - I got a full refund!).

My 1030 does do on-device routing which I used for the last month of a 2 month tour and was happy with the routes it created.

Different Edge units have different connectivity so double check if whatever you consider has Wi-Fi and/or bluetooth and what functionality that gets you.

Ian
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Some top info here - thanks everyone.

Think I might go with the Garmin 830. I really don't think there's any point me going for the 1030 as it offers nothing extra that I think I'd ever want or need. Maybe if it was only a few ££ more, but it's not.

Even then I'll hold fire and see if I can drop on one a bit cheaper in the upcoming sales.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Darkman wrote:....
Think I might go with the Garmin 830. I really don't think there's any point me going for the 1030 as it offers nothing extra that I think I'd ever want or need. Maybe if it was only a few ££ more, but it's not......

I don't know the functionality of Garmins other than the 1030 but I needed a GPS navigator mid-tour and I ended up having a rather "weird" conversation in the shop in Belgium. They were very fairly saying "it's over spec'd for what you want, you are paying for features you don't need", to which I replied "true, what else do you have?" to which they replied "nothing". I basically had a choice 1030 or nothing and I needed something.

But I agree, it is a pricey device.

Ian