Garmin Edge range- thoughts?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Re: Garmin Edge range- thoughts?

Post by Sweep »

CX-3 wrote:Where does Openstreet come from?
Well meaning anoraks with blatant RIP offs of OS?
You don't really expect anyone to believe that all these well meaning people spend all their time re surveying the countryside do you? Just how do all these "enthusiasts" compile their maps? How do they get their contours? How do they plot all the different footpaths, bridleways or BOATS? How do they plot over private land?

So many questions, so few answers.

There is way more detail and info on your average openstreetmap than an OS map.
Where is your evidence that they are ripping off OS?
Sweep
diapason

Post by diapason »

I bought an Edge Touring but just couldn't get the hang of it. Sold it and rely on good old-fashioned technology - an OS map. There is a mapping app on my phone which tells me where I am if I can get a signal - a rarity in parts of darkest Zummerzet!
Advena ego sum in Terra
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

TrevA wrote:...
Edit: Looks like you can get access to OS Digital maps for £2 per month. I think I’m going to sign up for that. You get access to all 607 OS maps for that and can download them to your phone to use offline.

When I first got a smartphone I purchased OS mapping for East Anglia. After a few months I switched to OpenStreet Map mapping as I found it better than OS (street names, more up-to-date, many reasons) and have stuck with OSM ever since.

Previously I had always assumed OS was "the Gold Standard" but I changed my opinion based on experiences on phones/tablets/computers.

Ian
sjs

Post by sjs »

TrevA wrote:It’s actually a bridleway by the looks of it, hence the possible confusion - we had come from Elton, past the entrance to Lyveden Farm. If I want to do a “road” ride, why does the program think it’s ok to go down a bridleway? So do I have to check every mile of a created route against an OS map?

We tour the country in our camper van and do rides from various campsites, so I’ll need the OS maps for the whole country. In preGPS days, if we went somewhere on holiday, I would actually buy the local 1:50,000 OS map. I thought those days were over, looks like I was wrong!

Edit: Looks like you can get access to OS Digital maps for £2 per month. I think I’m going to sign up for that. You get access to all 607 OS maps for that and can download them to your phone to use offline.

You can see OS maps online (down to 1:25k) via Bing. You can download tiles for free on Android using the Maverick app, and then use them in several much more capable apps, including Locus Maps.