Anyone recommend a 25.4mm diameter cross bar - 100-120-150mm in length ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
snaz

Anyone recommend a 25.4mm diameter cross bar - 100-120-150mm in length ?

Post by snaz »

Hi

I'm looking for a 25.4mm diameter bar to fit in my brommie handlebar stem clamp so i can attach a satori Adjustable Stem ABERHALLO. I guess it needs to be about 100-120-150mm long - i cant find anything - can anyone link me or recommend a product ?

The reason is i want to attach another extender to the satori Adjustable Stem ABERHALLO - so i need this extra bar to do that.
I guess it would look something like the smaller diameter extender bars for gadget attachment - but these don't come in 25.4 diameters as far as i can see. see pics - Hacks welcome ....

thanks everyone :D

sp
Attachments
ONBAORD SATORI 1.jpg
ONBAORD SATORI 1.jpg (47.55 KiB) Viewed 648 times
EXT BAR 1.jpg
01 SATORI.jpg
reohn2

Re: Anyone recommend a 25.4mm diameter cross bar - 100-120-150mm in length ?

Post by reohn2 »

A cheap MTB 25.4mm handlebar sawn to length would do he job.

EDIT,centre section of this any use? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoom-MTB-All ... Sw29JcF5fn
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

As a Brom owner responding >>
Is your plan to extend the 'reach' of your bike using that adapter stem?
If so be careful as there are strong leverage forces exerted on handlebars which will travel through that stem arrangement.
Also consider the fold / cable length whenever changes are made as Broms are exact bikes.
snaz

Post by snaz »

Pneumant wrote:As a Brom owner responding >>
Is your plan to extend the 'reach' of your bike using that adapter stem?
If so be careful as there are strong leverage forces exerted on handlebars which will travel through that stem arrangement.
Also consider the fold / cable length whenever changes are made as Broms are exact bikes.

hi -

Aluminium tubing looks promising.
1. Will a conventional hack-saw cut aluminium tubing ok ?
2. What would i use to file/smooth down the cut ends - emery cloth ?
3. Is it possible to source 25.4mm 'ends' to plug-up the cut tube length ends- i know these are quite common for 22.2mm handlebar ends .

@ pneumant - i'm ok on the cable length for my intended mod. :)
I'm not sure what kind of safety concern you are raising re 'strong leverage forces' exactly :?: If you could be more specific. The Satori is recommended on other forums also in this youtube vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RdgsPYi1Hg&t=169s
I'm replacing the h type handlebar and it's configuration for better upright cycling - not m or s type - i wont be learning in and putting my weight on the handlebars.

More suggestions welcome !
thanks again
sp :)
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

snaz wrote:@ pneumant - i'm ok on the cable length for my intended mod. :)
I'm not sure what kind of safety concern you are raising re 'strong leverage forces' exactly :?: If you could be more specific. The Satori is recommended on other forums also in this youtube vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RdgsPYi1Hg&t=169s
I'm replacing the h type handlebar and it's configuration for better upright cycling - not m or s type - i wont be learning in and putting my weight on the handlebars.
More suggestions welcome !
thanks again
sp :)

I read your first post as that of planning to use two?? Satori / Aber Hallo stems in tandem to change the position with the reach being extended in a forward direction. I know that a lot of shock / stresses go through the bars and two of these adapter stems coupled together might be a bad idea (as in they may fail). I don't know for sure, and having it upright with less of your weight on the bars will be better, I guess if it does not creak / shift position then you will be OK. Just saying!
Is your Brom a post 2017 model with the low rise M bars?
snaz

Post by snaz »

@pneumant Thanks for further advice. I can see your cause for concern and how it's a reasonable one.
My H type brommie is on order so its a current version and i'm wanting to fit an aluminium vintage handle bar with swept back handles (see images). So the clamp-release mechanism of the andros stem is to enable me to fold the handlebars downward when the bike is in folding Position.

The h type handle bar is 155mm high (a good height for upright cycling) so i need to make up something of that height for an upright riding position. Hence the two risers: the Satori is 100mm and the Andros adds a further 39mm (= total height of 139mm or 16mm shorter than height of H type handlebar which allows some cable slack for remounting gears/brakes.

If i'm caused not to use the satori and only use the andros then that lowers the level of the handle bar to just 39mm or116mm shorter than the H type handlebar height and this seems too low for a good upright position.

Because i'm having difficulty matching suitable risers and release clamps - the only alternative i can think of beyond the satori-andros solution is to use one of the half M type handlebars available in the after sales market paired with the andros and a couple of bar ends secured as swept back handles - but it's a far lesser solution compared to installing proper vintage handlebars.

If you can think of alternative suggestions or know of somewhere i can get a custom riser made let me know.

thanks for time and attention
s
Attachments
vph.jpg
tern andros handles.jpg
dsr.jpg
dsr.jpg (5.51 KiB) Viewed 441 times
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

I modded my 2012 S type Brom with better quality bars, mini bar ends, Ergon grips, Shimano brake levers, a better SA gear lever, a Shimano road chainset & UN BB and SPD pedals. This was from the period when Brom used horrid flexy components! I also have a C type bag which is supposed to be incompatible with the S type - not so! As such I applaud your Brom customisation as this makes the bike truly yours and shows what is possible with these ace bikes!
There is a folder subforum on the Yet Another Cycling Forum (YACF) where you may get more definitive answers.
snaz

Post by snaz »

cheers - will chase that up :)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you want a length of 1" dia tube, just cut a section out of a 25.4mm seat pin.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~