LIdl lamps in dynamo form (either lidl or branded something else)?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SA_SA_SA

LIdl lamps in dynamo form (either lidl or branded something else)?

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I have Lidl battery front lamp for my Brompton handlebars* (and a Dansi one using same bracket):

I like the beam shape, brightness (switchable 10..30lux) and colour temperature isn't too bad:
so as they presumably have them made by sub-contractors and branded as Lidl, I wondered if they exist in dynamo variants in mainland European shops either branded as Lidl or under other brands?

*currently backing up a lower front (maus-ish**) roller dynamo driven lamp cos I have a brake hub..
**a dynopower mounted in M6 threaded rod with lots of spacers and a little mudguard for it added after 1st ride!!
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
gazza_d

Re: LIdl lamps in dynamo form (either lidl or branded something else)?

Post by gazza_d »

There's lots of dyno options. Like the Lidl lights almost all dyno lights are designed to german lighting standards

This is probably one of the most comprehensive guide to dynamo lights I've found.https://www.decathlon.co.uk/led-front-dynamo-light-id_8336647.html
If you're UK based, then chances are you will have a better selection and possibly cheaper buying lights from EU rather than UK.
Although Decathlon have cheap dyno lights https://www.decathlon.co.uk/led-front-dynamo-light-id_8336647.html
rjb

Post by rjb »

If you can wield a soldering iron you could convert your favourite battery light to use as a dynamo light. Here's one I made previously and still in use on my shopper. :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=116628&hilit=Gu10+Free
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

gazza_d wrote:This is probably one of the most comprehensive guide to dynamo lights I've found.https://www.decathlon.co.uk/led-front-dynamo-light-id_8336647.html

is that the link you meant to post? It shows me a cheap front light of unspecified output, which in that traditional Decathlon way says 'for replacing the rear light on your city bike' ho ho

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Balls. No this was https://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/index_en.html

May be some newer lights not covered in there. That Decathlon light is to be seen by, not really for dark unlit trails or roads.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Something like this, perhaps? (I have a couple of these for use on a project - seem well made with good beam shape, but only time will tell!)
"42"
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I've used the cheap Union 4265 light too; it is very good value for money and I'd only criticise it for

1) having screws in the back that go rusty very quickly
2) having a slightly ugly shaped housing (but maybe others think differently)
3) having a slightly uneven beam spread (*)
4) 'only' being 35Lux

(*) That said it is less annoying than some lights which ought to be better, eg. some of B&M's offerings. The Union beam has a good cutoff and isn't that bad.

It hasn't gone wrong (yet, several years in) and it cost peanuts (considering the output) so I think it is an excellent choice for urban use. I have used it on the open road (no street lights ) and it has been OK; not as bright as some other lights but at the price I'm not complaining. Mr swhs has declined to test this light on his website but I don't understand this; there are zillions of people still using glow-worm bulbs and this light would be a super upgrade for them, at a very reasonable cost.

Looking on bikester they list a different model Marwi light in a similar vein. However they also list an XLC branded light which looks like a dead ringer for the Marwi/Union light, so maybe that is the same thing.

In cheapies I've also used a Falkx headlight with an (exposed) 1W LED.

This also has a shaped beam but because the emitter is exposed it probably makes you more visible to motorists (and more irritating to other cyclists on two-way paths too I expect). In terms of seeing by it, it isn't quite as bright as the union, but it reaches full brightness at low speeds and at low speeds it is brighter than (say) a B&M Lyt N, and barely less bright at speed. No idea where you can buy one though; a LBS near me has them but that is no use to anyone else. At the price (even cheaper than the Union) they are very good indeed. I think that the (usefully used) current draw is a lot less than half of 0.4A so you could run two of these lights in parallel, getting twice the light, with no reduction in brightness at low speeds.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Brucey wrote:I've used the cheap Union 4265 light too; it is very good value for money and I'd only criticise it for
1) having screws in the back that go rusty very quickly 2).... ugly .... 3) ....slightly.... beam..... 4) 'only' being 35Lux....

I have belatedly decided that until expensive lights earn their cost by preventing flicker, its best to buy a low power appoved 6V Ebike compatible 30lux cheapy such as mentioned and suggested by Brucey (or the pico or etc etc ) and use the spare power to drive an unapproved lamp either a home-r or modified cheapy and use ones own extra smoothing circuitry.... This as translates as being unable to convince anyone,... or losing the argument about either more poles in hub generators or better circuitry in front lamps.......

Brucey wrote:In cheapies I've also used a Falkx headlight with an (exposed) 1W LED.
[im]https://www.internet-bikes.com/producten/largefalkx_koplamp_er9a_naafdynamo_zwart_3_256144_1540888840.jpg/img]

I always wonder why those sorts of led forwards lamps don't either use a side emitter LED* or add a cheap bit of plastic/reflector to the unshielded lambetian LED to achieve the same side emission pattern (ie more light intercepted and aimed by reflector as well as less dazzle from the small emitter).

*eg https://uk.farnell.com/lumileds/lxhl-dw09/led-luxeon-iii-side-emit-white/dp/1106634
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The Axa Pico30 was a good light but maybe now discontiunued? its a small light with a good beam pattern. I have used it in country roads in the dark and is adequate at modest speeds

The price here seems to be inflated in Ebay. They should be around £15. When I got my spare it was about £12 from Rose Cycles in germany as part of a part order so the post wasnt too bad

This is the cheapest I have found, incl postage

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Axa-Pico30-Switch-939172-Bicycle/dp/B009NAFK12