Suspension Handlebar Stems

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Halla

Suspension Handlebar Stems

Post by Halla »

Hello All

I have just picked up a 1990's hybrid with an "ITM Traffic Flex" suspension handlebar stem. It looks like the more modern adjustable stems.

The Traffic Flex is very floppy and the previous owner tried to fix it with a bolt screwed down through the centre, it is less floppy by still moves very easily.

Question is, are they repairable?

Thanks Andy
Halla

Re: Suspension Handlebar Stems

Post by Halla »

Has anyone even heard or seen one of these?

They seem to have resurfaced, but with different design, probably in America. Too be seen in the Uk sometime in the future no doubt.

This one seems to have in internal spring which I was told has broken.

Are there any other forums where they may be familiar with such a thing.

Thanks.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I only remember the Girvin Flexstem back in the day before suspension forks were mainstream on mountainbikers.

The modern take on it that I have come across is the Redshift ShockStop. It seems to have had some quite good reviews.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Halla

Post by Halla »

Thanks RickH

The Redshift looks very much like the ITM and wonder if there is much flexibility in the adjustable stems available widely in UK.

Perhaps the lack of response indicates that suspension stems were not used a great deal during their (probably) short life on the market.

I would still like to know whether any has tried to repair one, just out of interest.

The bike it is on is a 1998 Dawes Discovery 501 which I have just bought and is in very good condition.

Thanks again