Help me spec my new bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mnichols

Help me spec my new bike

Post by mnichols »

I'm looking to build up an Enigma Etape (rim) frame that I have for touring in the mountains. I want it to be fast and light for credit carding touring, things like the Raid Dolomites.

I already have an Enigma Etape Disc with gravel wheels, puncture resistant tyres, a triple chain set, mudguards and rack. I use this for longer tours where the weather might be bad like LEJoGs, Lap of Scotland and Wales, Coast of Britain and winter riding.

I also have a Sonder Camino Ti with SRAM 1x Groupset for touring where the roads might be variable like the Himalayas

and a Cannondale Synapse for short fast club runs and just fun days out

This bike is for something different, this is for fair weather, summer touring on good roads with some mountains.

Groupset I'd like something like Ultegra but with a Super Compact Chainset some like 32/48 on the front and 32/11 at the back, but not a hodge podge mix and match - something slick and low maintenance.

Wheels I'm thinking of something like the Hunt Race Aero Wide, but I already have a set of old Ultegra;s hung up in the garage that may just need a good service - should I stick with these? I always found them a but lifeless. I prefer the Mavics I have on the Synapse - think there are Ksyrium Elites

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-cx-rim-brake-wheels/products/hunt-race-season-aero-wide-road-wheelset-1480g-31deep-24wide

Tyres - I'll probably try the new Conti GPS5000 Tubeless. I liked the MIchelin Pro One Tubeless but find them prone to cuts

Cockpit - I'd like to try a carbon setup. There isn't much weight advantage, but understand they flex a bit and so are easier on the hands? PlantX do some at reasonable prices (£55). I do use tri-bars. I would prefer if these are integrated but can't find that option on drops. Carbon stems seem very expensive unless anyone knows of a good option

Seatpost - looking for a good, light carbon seat post

Saddle - I always use a Brooks Cambium

I'm hoping to take advantage of Black Friday Sales.

Interested in ideas for improvement, although only looking to spend about £1,000 to £1,500 tops
Brucey

Re: Help me spec my new bike

Post by Brucey »

if you want a 1:1 bottom gear it is not necessary to go supercompact at the front; R8000 ultegra will handle a 34T sprocket.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Brucey wrote:if you want a 1:1 bottom gear it is not necessary to go supercompact at the front; R8000 ultegra will handle a 34T sprocket.

cheers

Thanks, that's the option I've spec'd at the moment, but to contradict myself on two points I see that Spa will allow me to go even lower (or is that higher, I can never remember), maybe 42/26 or even 40/24

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p3383/SPA-CYCLES-Super-Compact-Chainset-with-Zicral-Rings

I'm a little aesthetically bothered by the superfluous outer ring, but more bothered by finding a front derailleur that will match the chainset and the Ultegra levers. I've been down the mix and match route before and it never ends well for me

Also, I've never understood Q-factors

and will this work with the Ultegra BB?

any thoughts on this?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mnichols wrote: Thanks, that's the option I've spec'd at the moment, but to contradict myself on two points I see that Spa will allow me to go even lower (or is that higher, I can never remember), maybe 42/26 or even 40/24

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p3383/SPA-CYCLES-Super-Compact-Chainset-with-Zicral-Rings

I'm a little aesthetically bothered by the superfluous outer ring, but more bothered by finding a front derailleur that will match the chainset and the Ultegra levers. I've been down the mix and match route before and it never ends well for me

provided you keep

a) the chainline the same
b) the interval between the chainrings about the same and
c) are able to adjust the height of the FD to match the chainring

then you should be OK with the FD-R8000 mech.

Also, I've never understood Q-factors

the spa chainset is a triple, basically, so your feet are liable to be further apart than on a 'road double'.

will this work with the Ultegra BB?

no of course not; Ultegra is HT-II and the Spa chainset uses a square taper BB.

cheers
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Brucey wrote: ^ <SNIP>

Thanks, any thoughts on the wheels?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

thoughts on wheels?

Not really. You want to use tubeless tyres and seem keen on factory wheelsets. For touring I'd probably choose neither.

cheers
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I would be thinking of something a touch more robust/modern than the Synapse. Hi spec bits, modern kit and ideas with wider tyres etc. Fits the gap between the Synapse and the others. A flash road bike with the ability to pop up a gravel track sort of thing. Why not look at the new SRAM Ax's group set for gearing ideas then see if Shimano can do something similar. Maybe a super compact chain set thus allowing you to avoid whopping rear sprockets. Go and look at this months cycling plus for some ideas. Lots of nice things that could be personalised.
I see this as flashy/luxury not sensible utility.
dim

Post by dim »

as for wheels, I have 2 sets of HED Belgium Plus rims ....

On my Trek Emonda SL6 (rim brakes) I have the HED Belgium plus rims laced to Chris King R45 hubs (the ceramic bearing upgrade) and Sapim Cx ray spokes .... I'm currently using Continental GP5000 tubeless tyres in 25mm wide with these (They measure approx 26,5mm wide on these rims as the rims are wider

On my Miyata 1000 touring bike (Cantilever brakes), I also opted for the Hed Belgium Plus rims with a Royce rear hub and Son 28 dynamo front hub ..... I'm using Conti GP5000 tubeless tyres (32mm wide) .... I only had these wheels fitted on Friday

I really rate these rims and doubt that there are better alloy rims on the market .... you have to use narrow brake pads with these and I use Kool Stop. HED also has new rim tape especially made for these rims and only 1 layer of tape is required .... I have this tape on my new wheels .... On my Trek, we used DT Swiss tape (2 layers)

as for saddles ..... I too use the Brooks Cambium but I have the Carved version on both my bikes

Aero bars ..... I have carbon aero bars on my Trek ..... not really necessary as I always ride on the hoods so I'm not riding in an aero position .... also, you will struggle to fit garmin mounts/lights etc to the bars .... I bought the bike with the aero bars already fitted (expensive bars so I've just kept them)
Avspider

Post by Avspider »

I have a set of the wide aero race wheels, they really nice however not very subtle in the freewheel noise (typical from Hunt). They spin up really well even after 2 years of use. Sub 1500g for the money I highly recomend them. The only reason I no longer use them (on GF's training bike now) is I've gone over to discs.
Btwin 540 commuter
BMC Granfondo 02
Venge pro disc CLX64 :D
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

OP, if you are considering using Spa chainsets you might want to check if they will work with narrow 10/11-speed chains. I had an Impact triple from them which, when I tried to use it with a 9-speed chain, experienced the chain repeatedly falling between the middle and outer chainrings, causing loss of drive, manual gear changing (with hands), oily fingers and much swearing.

I am currently running 3 of the XD/Impact triple chainsets with 7/8-speed chains and they work great.

I imagine if you are using 10/11-speed chains they will be narrower than a 9S and you might have issues.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

bgnukem wrote:OP, if you are considering using Spa chainsets you might want to check if they will work with narrow 10/11-speed chains. I had an Impact triple from them which, when I tried to use it with a 9-speed chain, experienced the chain repeatedly falling between the middle and outer chainrings, causing loss of drive, manual gear changing (with hands), oily fingers and much swearing.

I am currently running 3 of the XD/Impact triple chainsets with 7/8-speed chains and they work great.

I imagine if you are using 10/11-speed chains they will be narrower than a 9S and you might have issues.

ok thanks
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I'd avoid the cheap end of carbon bars, you might get lucky but I always stick to a good brand name, even consider a lightly used as I did when I picked up a pair of Modolo Curvissima, they are by far the best bar I've ever had though they are race orientated. I've also got Easton EC90s on my retro ti racer, Bottechia flat on my commuter, PRO Vibe carbon on my gravel and Ritchey carbon on my touring/audax/winter racer.

Seatpost wise you could look not much past a good old Specialized FACT carbon with the zertz insert, not light in the older model (newer S qorks versions are very light) but solid as a rock and reliable clamp wise, beware there are a LOT of knock off CF seatposts (particularly FSA and Bontrager) floating around though genuine bargains can be had even on ebay. I bought a Neil Pryde designed/branded post for my Ti touring bike last year for not a huge amount and so far it's proven to be great.

wheels wise, go with whatever fits your needs, there's probably nothing wrong with light touring on solid factory wheels, my 2001 Kysrium SSCs are absolutely bombproof but would I go touring on them, probably not, I've no need to as I have other wheels but proprietary spokes can present a problem unless you have one or two (f/r specific lengths maybe?) lengths for worst case scenario if you're risk averse.
As for going tubeless, whatever floats your boat but you'd need to be taking inner tubes anyway right as a back up so why even bother? Inflating a tubeless tyre from flat with a mini pump, people have problems with a standard track pump ...

Are the Hunt wheels worth the money or even suitable, I'm not sure, 21/20 spoke count is pretty low for even light touring no, wouldn't the 4 Season in 28/24 be a better bet, the problem I see with the Hunts is that their rims are not very good for higher pressures with wider tyres, stating 70PSI for 30mm and a meagre 50Psi for a 33mm tyre, even my old Mavic 4CDs handle 80PSI with a 32mm tyre with no problem whatsoever even fully loaded at over 115kg rider + full bags. Frankly I find it pretty ridiculous that their rim is so flimsy it can't handle a pressure like that :?
Racingt

Post by Racingt »

Regarding chainset, I've just purchased, not fitted, the Sugino OX901D chainset, in 30/44 configuration.
Quality looks equivalent to DA.
Dolan cycles stock them.
Just a thought.

regards
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Racingt wrote:Regarding chainset, I've just purchased, not fitted, the Sugino OX901D chainset, in 30/44 configuration.
Quality looks equivalent to DA.
Dolan cycles stock them.
Just a thought.

regards

That's nice. Expensive, but nice
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

The utility cyclist wrote:I'd avoid the cheap end of carbon bars, you might get lucky but I always stick to a good brand name, even consider a lightly used as I did when I picked up a pair of Modolo Curvissima, they are by far the best bar I've ever had though they are race orientated. I've also got Easton EC90s on my retro ti racer, Bottechia flat on my commuter, PRO Vibe carbon on my gravel and Ritchey carbon on my touring/audax/winter racer.

Seatpost wise you could look not much past a good old Specialized FACT carbon with the zertz insert, not light in the older model (newer S qorks versions are very light) but solid as a rock and reliable clamp wise, beware there are a LOT of knock off CF seatposts (particularly FSA and Bontrager) floating around though genuine bargains can be had even on ebay. I bought a Neil Pryde designed/branded post for my Ti touring bike last year for not a huge amount and so far it's proven to be great.

wheels wise, go with whatever fits your needs, there's probably nothing wrong with light touring on solid factory wheels, my 2001 Kysrium SSCs are absolutely bombproof but would I go touring on them, probably not, I've no need to as I have other wheels but proprietary spokes can present a problem unless you have one or two (f/r specific lengths maybe?) lengths for worst case scenario if you're risk averse.
As for going tubeless, whatever floats your boat but you'd need to be taking inner tubes anyway right as a back up so why even bother? Inflating a tubeless tyre from flat with a mini pump, people have problems with a standard track pump ...

Are the Hunt wheels worth the money or even suitable, I'm not sure, 21/20 spoke count is pretty low for even light touring no, wouldn't the 4 Season in 28/24 be a better bet, the problem I see with the Hunts is that their rims are not very good for higher pressures with wider tyres, stating 70PSI for 30mm and a meagre 50Psi for a 33mm tyre, even my old Mavic 4CDs handle 80PSI with a 32mm tyre with no problem whatsoever even fully loaded at over 115kg rider + full bags. Frankly I find it pretty ridiculous that their rim is so flimsy it can't handle a pressure like that :?

Lots to think about there. I'm a big fan of Mavic wheels, but you're right the proprietary spokes are difficult to get. It seems like they're different on all of their wheels

I'm very disappointed in the Black Friday Sales. Was hoping to pick up some bargains, but can't find any descent stuff in the sales