What route planner?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Darkman

What route planner?

Post by Darkman »

I bought a Wahoo Elemnt Roam GPS recently - since we've had nothing but torrential rain since September I haven't used it. :(

I keep looking at the various route planners (while daydreaming about getting outside with the sun on my head again), but there are so many of them, and how do I know which ones use the same maps as my Wahoo (I don't even know what one it uses)?

I've had a good read around here but I see a abbreviations bandied about but I don't know what they mean; i.e. OS Maps. Is that Ordnance Survey, or OpenStreet? :?

Ideally I want to choose a start and end point, then click on the route to drag points to where I want to go to get from A to B. If the route planner also shows me the elevation of my chosen route, then all the better due to my iffy knees.

Also, is there one that I can use from my phone, in situations where I'm not near a PC and need to plot a route?

I know you can choose a destination on the Roam itself, but it's a pretty cumbersome affair.

Ta!
mjr

Re: What route planner?

Post by mjr »

OS Maps is usually Ordnance Survey if the writer is British, but it's unclear and should be expanded on first use. Often people who don't are in denial about the existence of OpenStreetMap so it still probably means Ordnance Survey.

https://cycle.travel/map/ is usable from phones but it's differently usable, shall we say, and not as easy as on a desktop. It's still the best of the bunch in my opinion.

If you want to plot actual routes on the phone without connecting to the internet, OsmAnd~ with the right set of full downloads for you area is probably the best at picking its own routes at the moment, although lighterweight map apps will let you draw simple dot-to-dot routes on top of cache map images.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
dim

Post by dim »

yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

First of all I'd suggest doing some more research on the topic. Lots of useful info in different threads.

Secondly, it very much depends on personal preferences - what I think is a great route might be hell for someone else. Therefore, the best thing to do is to try them all out and see which works best for you. Outside of just planning, each can have handy features that are useful.

For quiet and reliable routes cycle travel is, in my opinion the best.

RWGPS is great for searching others' routes

Komoot, while attractively priced with a one off payment tends to take direct routes. I do not trust it far away from home.

Osmand has been my back up navigator for years. Works fully offline and can save the route to be transferred to your device.

The roam has the ability to plot routes on the fly, but I have no idea how good it is.

If you intend to plot routes on the road make sure you know what does and doesn't work with and without internet connectivity.

It takes time to get used to each one. You've loads of time now to play around and learn about them.

Good luck!
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

For trialing routes I use Google Maps, For planning a gpx to transfer I use QMapShack.
NUKe

Post by ChrisBL »

I quite like Strava for planning touring routes on a computer at home. Then draw on a paper map :-O Upload them to Osmand on a phone for backup use.
millimole

Post by millimole »

dim wrote:ridewithGPS

https://ridewithgps.com/
Seconded
I even pay for it!
Once you get to understand the various options - follow roads / draw lines etc, and the different map styles - it's very usable
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Second, Cycle Travel, planned on the desktop.
And then upload the file to your chosen sat nav via the units web site, or directly if the options available.
Planning on the Mobil is cumbersome, suggest you do trial runs on planning and uploads etc.
Don't forget to backup your courses.
Sat navs have many pitfalls so be patient.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

I usually plan touring routes ahead of time on a desktop PC using RWGPS, and bung the resulting GPX files on my GPS before starting out. If I'm part way through a tour and need to modify/add a route, I use the combination of Locus and Brouter on my phone to create the route, save it as a GPX, and use the combination of Gexporter on the phone and Gimporter on the GPS to copy the GPX via the Bluetooth connection.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I use Cycle Route / Cycle.Travel software to plan routes.
A clear and simple route planner with all device upload types supported.
But in my case having planned the route i print a hard copy and take it with me ... so I don't need a device at all on the bike ... :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

RWGPS for me but only on the PC and used it for a few years now. Tried a few others but it suits me. Like all route planners though you have to learn how to use them. The one thing to be aware of about RWGPS, it may slightly alter the route when "dragging" the course if you haven't put a waypoint in certain sections. Maybe other planners do the same but I don't know. I have found, even with other planners, that you need to check the route to make sure it goes where you want it too.
RWGPS does show an elevation outline which helps in pointing out steep or high climbs.

I haven't used RWGPS on my phone as I have not had the need to. I have loaded routes to my phone which then can be transferred to the Garmin using bluetooth.

I don't think it matters what "mapping" system any planner uses as long as it can load the appropriate "file type" - ie GPX,TCX,FIT,etc into your Wahoo.

Regarding Ordinance Survey or Open Street I think references will usually add the M (OSM) if it is for Open Street Maps.
Up to now I have only ever used the free version of RWGPS as that has done everything I have needed.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
AlexG1965

Post by AlexG1965 »

Also have a Roam and use Strava route planner on the PC, which is free and easy to use. Once a route is created it will show the elevation that you're after.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Cycle Travel works best for me,. I've tried others but this plans on quieter roads. Not necessarily the quickest route but I'm never in a hurry and prefer minimum traffic.