Peugeot with Reynolds 531 frame tubes ( info sought )

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Peugeot with Reynolds 531 frame tubes ( info sought )

Post by Brucey »

OP could read the date marks on the hubs...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rickus19

Post by Rickus19 »

Sorry been away for a days, i looked but cannot find a date on the hubs.is it inside or out? Maybe im not looking hard enough but i had a really good look tbh.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

we've seen no close-ups of the hubs so it is just a guess that they are any given model. They'll be date marked if they were made after ~1973 and they are basic Maillard/Normandy hubs. However some other maillard variants (eg 700s) and (of course) other brands of hub don't have date marks.

If the basic maillard/Normandy hubs they will have markings on the centre barrel including a week and year number.

for example the above hub is week 49 from 1976.

Probably if you have not seen such marks, there are none.

cheers
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Brucey wrote:
Polisman wrote:I'm pretty certain this is a Peugeot PR10 from 1975/76....

unlikely; OP's bike has a different fork and has transfers that didn't exist before ~1977.

cheers

I think it's almost certainly this, a PR10E from 1978/9 catalog. It's near identical. Variations in parts and finish were country specific, ie Canadian Market frames had a different paint job, no chrome on the forks, British models different again. The problem with big brand marques like Peugeot is the sheer volume of manufacture, meaning specs and colours could change on an almost monthly basis. A nice bike, middle of the range, with good quality components.
Attachments
1979_5.jpg
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I agree there are market to market variations but I think the 78/79 PR10E is not a very close match; I think the 78/79 model is later than the OP's bike because

- it has different (later) decals
- it appears to not have the metal head badge

in addition there are very significant differences such as

- a much cheaper fork
- fitment of Michelin Elan HP tyres

cheers
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Brucey wrote:I agree there are market to market variations but I think the 78/79 PR10E is not a very close match; I think the 78/79 model is later than the OP's bike because

- it has different (later) decals
- it appears to not have the metal head badge

in addition there are very significant differences such as

- a much cheaper fork
- fitment of Michelin Elan HP tyres

cheers

The decals look pretty identical to me. It's a PR10e. It has the spec, tubeset and colour /chrome finish of a PR10e. Basically a budget version of the top of the range PX10. It may be slightly newer or older than the photo attached but it's a PR10e nonetheless. I'm 99% certain on it. Do you have another suggestion?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Polisman wrote:
The decals look pretty identical to me.
sorry yes they are very similar, but not on the fork of course. PR10Es came with the cheap fork, so the OP's bike isn't one of those; at any one time Peugeot did many slightly different models which (intentionally) all looked very similar.

FWIW the PX10 wasn't top of the range; in OTP that was the PY10. IIRC they did custom frame geometries beyond the standard ones too.

cheers
Rickus19

Post by Rickus19 »

Ok defo no dates on the hubs, just stickers. Managed to source an original peugeot saddle and post. I would like to know the model but if there are so many variations then its not that important. As long as j can source parts im happy. I thought the badge on the front stem of the bike was metal tbh. Ill measure cabling and try to get generic at the right length. Thanks everyone for your help.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yours has the metal head badge; I was saying the PR10E in the brochure image above doesn't have the metal head badge .

So what do the stickers on your hubs say?

What size seat pin fits? -was it 26.6mm or some other size?

cheers
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Brucey wrote:
Polisman wrote:
The decals look pretty identical to me.
sorry yes they are very similar, but not on the fork of course. PR10Es came with the cheap fork, so the OP's bike isn't one of those; at any one time Peugeot did many slightly different models which (intentionally) all looked very similar.

FWIW the PX10 wasn't top of the range; in OTP that was the PY10. IIRC they did custom frame geometries beyond the standard ones too.

cheers

The PY10 wasn't really a production bike, it was built at the Prestige workshops and intended only for Professional teams and one offs for VIPs like the French president and the Pope! It was impossible to buy through the retail chain.
So the PX10 was the top producion bike of the era. I still say this is either a PR10e or a PR10ec. Unless you can produce evidence to the contrary, I'm sticking with that.
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

Surely it must be this..... a PS10/E
4F362540-B6C9-4AF3-B830-1857A2F2D264.jpeg

Same tubing, fork crown, lack of chrome and spec...... this one is gold but the inset shows a silver one!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Polisman wrote:
The PY10 wasn't really a production bike, it was built at the Prestige workshops and intended only for Professional teams and one offs for VIPs like the French president and the Pope! It was impossible to buy through the retail chain..

I bought one.....

(and I'm not the Pope...). They wouldn't have bothered publishing a nice catalogue if you couldn't actually buy one.

I agree with fivebikes; PS-10/E looks right, although the catalogue photos (taken before most of a given year's bikes were built?) show the slightly earlier version of the Reynolds transfers. It looks like there were two subvariants, one with sprints and the other with HPs.

cheers
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

fivebikes wrote:Surely it must be this..... a PS10/E4F362540-B6C9-4AF3-B830-1857A2F2D264.jpeg
Same tubing, fork crown, lack of chrome and spec...... this one is gold but the inset shows a silver one!

Chrome is a spec up from this model. It's a PR10ec, an export model, not the French version. Although I don't doubt you Brucey, the PY10 wasn't a stock retail bike. Like the Raleigh SBDU it was a to order bike, so not retail.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

in PY-10 you could buy a standard spec and standard OTP geometry (as per the catalogue) or have it custom built. I'd say the former makes it a production bike, just not volume production. I bought a OTP PY-10 because the geometry (which was slightly different to other Peugeots, also with finer increments in frame size IIRC) happened to fit me better than anything else I could buy without having it custom made.

Pretty much the same thing applied to Raleigh SBDU frames/bikes in fact; you could have those in standard or custom geometry. You could order the former from almost any Raleigh dealer.

cheers
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Brucey wrote:in PY-10 you could buy a standard spec and standard OTP geometry (as per the catalogue) or have it custom built. I'd say the former makes it a production bike, just not volume production. I bought a OTP PY-10 because the geometry (which was slightly different to other Peugeots, also with finer increments in frame size IIRC) happened to fit me better than anything else I could buy without having it custom made.

Pretty much the same thing applied to Raleigh SBDU frames/bikes in fact; you could have those in standard or custom geometry. You could order the former from almost any Raleigh dealer.

cheers

By definition, a bike you have to get made bespoke, to order its not a production item. But we're arguing over the head of a pin now. I say the definitive ID of the bike in this thread is a PR10e or PR10ec, the metal head badge means its pre 1978, but its definitely a variation on the PR10 theme.

From one of the renowned Peugeot experts on the Classic Lightweights website:

'Peugeot opened its new “Prestige Peugeot” workshop towards the end of 1974 for the production of hand-made bicycles for the Peugeot racing team and for private customers. Up until this time the top Peugeot racing machine was designated the PX10 which was built in the main production facility at Beaulieu. The bicyles produced in the Prestige workshop were designated PY10, and the PX10 continued as the top production bike."
Last edited by Polisman on 15 Dec 2019, 12:54am, edited 2 times in total.