kt freehub

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
skitzy123

kt freehub

Post by skitzy123 »

hi i own a saracen urban cross 2 2018 which has kt hubs does anyone know where i can source freehub replacement i think hubs are made taiwan thanks in advance john .saracens say i have to rebuild wheel using diff hub as they dont stock kt spaires
rjb

Re: kt freehub

Post by rjb »

Quando hubs often have KT markings on the cones. It is possible to open up the freehub and remove spacers to decrease the freeplay in it. Here's a link to a Quando hub from my tandem which I overhauled.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=69984&p=1028105&hilit=Quando+Freehub#p1028105
:wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

If possible I would rebuild the extant freehub body but this is not a job that everyone is happy to undertake. It can be a complete PITA to source the correct freehub body; often this is made difficult because the same freehub body may be known by very many different names; the big brands like Giant, Trek, Specialized etc. use their own brand name on hubs from the same makers and this means a 'Bontrager' freehub body may be just the thing for a hub that comes off something else.

There is a pretty good selection here

https://www.gbcycles.co.uk/c/917/Freehub-Bodies

It is also worth looking on SJS.

BTW the thing you need to worry about most is the interface to the hubshell. The dustcap may be different but this can be changed over or replaced altogether if necessary; for example there is a shimano part that fits many different freehubs and seals onto cones with a 17mm OD.

BTW premature freehub death is not at all uncommon and can be forestalled by using the appropriate lubricant; I recommend a semi-fluid grease which is heavy on corrosion inhibitors.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rjb

Post by rjb »

Here's a link which may help you identify what you have. Freehubs are listed as a spare item but that doesn't mean you can source one. :(
https://www.ktgroup.net/pro.php?f=65&cid=65

You may be able to rescue a sticking freehub by putting a pool of thin oil in the right hand side and holding the freehub spin the wheel. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thecycleclinic

Post by thecycleclinic »

The Op contacted me but has not removed the freehub. He only gave the model of the bike.
That means no one can really help. Given no shop stock a kt branded freehub the op is never going to find a retailer that will say it's this. Re building the wheel with a new hub will be a lot quicker. He also think its shocking that no spares are available. Well welcome to the bike industry. A ose match for a freehub also will fail/run poorly.

It certainly is not worth me spending potentially hours to identify a freehub that I cant buy.

The best thing the op can do to peruse this is remove the freehub and send photos to kt and ask them for help. Sending to a shop os pointless no shop will.od a freehub based on photos alone. Too many look similar but are different.

If the op starts buying freehubs he is going to ne returning alot of them and end up spending the cost of rebuild on postage.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

If this was me I would be raiding the scrap bins of the shops and hire places. Plenty of freehubs about there. Then I would be yanking them off until I found a match. If they didn't I would tuck them away safely until they are needed or the executors of my will need to deal with them.
I sort of enjoy that sort of thing and the potential for something for nothing (time doesn't count) appeals. If I didn't have this inclination or was doing it commercially I would be bunging in a Shimano hub .