Marathon plus

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nez

Marathon plus

Postby nez » 5 Dec 2019, 6:53pm

Two of our bikes are shod with Marathon Plus. I carry a puncture outfit, couple of inner tubes, pump and box spanner with no serious expectation of using them - and frankly no serious expectation of getting a Marathon plus on and off the smaller wheel bike (a Brompton) at the side of the road (in the dark, in the rain). This has been the case for so many years I'm starting to wonder if I'm wasting my time - has anyone ever experienced a puncture with a Marathon plus?

gaz

Re: Marathon plus

Postby gaz » 5 Dec 2019, 7:16pm

Yes, I experience punctures on the commuter which is shod with M+.

I don't keep any form of puncture diary. Anecdotally they puncture less than standard Marathon and the studded Nokian tyres I use in Winter.

Mostly from glass and/or sharp wire picked up through an industrial area. I do not inspect my tyres regularly to remove such items, doubtless some are driven through over time rather than being an instant failure.

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 5 Dec 2019, 7:29pm

Pinch flats yes, valve failures yes, not intrusion punctures though.

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 5 Dec 2019, 9:06pm

Twice. First hit a spike embedded in kerb when going through a tunnel in Italy. Next went over a piece of glass on a cycle path in the dark. But 2 in about 80,000 miles is a good average.
Should add they have been used on my wife's bikes for the last 12 years without a puncture.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

DNC123

Postby DNC123 » 5 Dec 2019, 9:16pm

I've got a pair, in excellent condition, hanging up in the garage looking for a good home if anyone wants to pay the postage.

LittleGreyCat

Postby LittleGreyCat » 5 Dec 2019, 10:08pm

CX-3 wrote:I've got a pair, in excellent condition, hanging up in the garage looking for a good home if anyone wants to pay the postage.

What size, please?

Darkman

Postby Darkman » 5 Dec 2019, 10:13pm

You can guarantee that the first time you leave all the puncture repair stuff at home, you'll get a puncture.

Sod's Law, that.

mnichols

Postby mnichols » 5 Dec 2019, 10:29pm

I've put them on my son's bike about 2 years ago because he hates punctures and he hasn't had a puncture since. EVER. FULL STOP. NOT ONE.

He hasn't actually ridden the bike since, but that's being pedantic

cycle tramp

Postby cycle tramp » 5 Dec 2019, 10:49pm

I've had one of the rear wheel since 2004.... it's almost worn out now, having outlasted 2 rims and 4 hub changes. There's loads of glass cuts in the tread, and there's several larger gashes.... but in all that time it's only punctured 4 times. Each puncture was caused by a large black thorn thorn. It's always worth taking a repair kit - I got a bit over-confident once and decided that I didn't need a puncture repair kit and had a rather long walk home......

DNC123

Postby DNC123 » 6 Dec 2019, 8:28am

LittleGreyCat wrote:
CX-3 wrote:I've got a pair, in excellent condition, hanging up in the garage looking for a good home if anyone wants to pay the postage.

What size, please?

700 x 28mm