Upgrading old Brompton brakes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fatboy

Upgrading old Brompton brakes

Post by fatboy »

Having recently got a new Brompton I realise how bad the brakes were on my old one (now with my daughter). Will the new ones fit or wil I suffer from incompatibility issues?
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Brucey

Re: Upgrading old Brompton brakes

Post by Brucey »

I think they will fit OK (without major issues anyway) but maybe someone knows different. FWIW I would use the newer levers with the newer brake calipers, but some combinations of lever/shifter/handlebar can result in a reduced grip length available.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Brucey wrote:I think they will fit OK (without major issues anyway) but maybe someone knows different. FWIW I would use the newer levers with the newer brake calipers, but some combinations of lever/shifter/handlebar can result in a reduced grip length available.

cheers

I already changed the levers which helped a bit.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
grufty

Post by grufty »

Do the current Brompton brakes have a different bolt diameter (8 rather than 6mm), in which case drilling may be required? I successfully use dual pivots with the old levers.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Posting on here as I'm interested in improving my Brompton's brakes and I'd like to follow this thread.
Ta!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin