Garmin Edge 20/25 wrist strap?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Garmin Edge 20/25 wrist strap?

Post by Mick F »

I have an Edge 20.
Nice little device and am happy with the tracking info.

Walking the dog, it occurred to me that I could track where we've walked.
Today, for instance, we've been along the river and up through Chilsworthy and back home along the roads.
I started the Edge20 as we left home, and stopped and saved the track as we made it home.
The Edge20 was in my pocket, but maybe I could have had it on my wrist.

Does such an accessory exist???

Screenshot of part of the route .....................hiding where we live.
You might notice the blip where we called into the White Hart. :D
Sailor-the-Dog was treated with bickies from the bar, and I was treated with a couple of beers ........ but I had to pay for those of course.
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 15.49.58.png
Mick F. Cornwall
iandriver

Re: Garmin Edge 20/25 wrist strap?

Post by iandriver »

I use a silicon case and simply attached it to a lanyard so I can wear it around my neck. One like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tuff-Luv-Silic ... B078KCCML4 (I just looped it through the case)

Do you not have an old camera strap or something you can attach to the battery opening metal loop? I thought it had a lanyard mount? or are you looking for something more fixed like a running armband?
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
rjb

Post by rjb »

I had a cateye cc-hb100 cycle computer with a heart rate monitor years ago. They made a wrist strap so you could slide it on as you would on your bars. So its possible that someone makes one. If you have a smart phone you could just download an app to track you.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Garmin also make GPS watches, used mine a couple of times but why not just use Strava!
DNC123

Post by DNC123 »

Garmin Vivoactive watch does all that and more. But you have to buy one, and they don't come cheap.
Strava app on you phone will record everything for you.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

You may be able to make a wrist strap mount out of one of the Garmin mounts that hold the unit on the bars via a rubber band.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

TrevA wrote:You may be able to make a wrist strap mount out of one of the Garmin mounts that hold the unit on the bars via a rubber band.
This is what I was thinking about, but wondered if there was a propriety item out there.
It worked very well in my pocket, but not so handy or convenient as on the wrist.

The Edge 20/25 units are no bigger than a wristwatch.
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've not seen anything like that pre-made. With a little ingenuity you can mount one of those 1/4 turn mounts to many places. You sometimes need to be "creative" with the bands - I've used a single one over all 4 hooks, & joined 2 bands together to go round a bigger object.

Do you wear a watch? It may be possible to attach a mount to the strap if it is a reasonable solid one so you have to edge 20 & your watch on a single strap. If you don't wear a watch it shouldn't be hard to fix a mount onto a one-piece watch strap.

An activity watch is probably neater if you want to use it a lot. & /or if you are interested in personal stats.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

A watch strap and 1/4 turn mount.

[youtube]hJ-4JyOZSLI[/youtube]
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent! :D
Pity the Forerunner strap won't mate up, but the simple idea of a poundshop wrist strap sounds about right.
Mick F. Cornwall
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

Mick F wrote:Pity the Forerunner strap won't mate up, but the simple idea of a poundshop wrist strap sounds about right.

The Forerunner strap is a standard 1/4 turn Garmin mount. I have one and used it with a an Edge 800 for quite a few years. The first pic on the link shows that inside of the strap, but the next pic shows the mount side.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It looks like it's completely different to the Edge 20/25, but I didn't look at the second picture! :oops:
The first picture is on the REAR face. How stupid must the advertiser be to do it back to front.

This bit looks like it'll fit. Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me.
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 08.59.41.png

I think I'll buy one. Much better than cobbling together a nylon strap.

Thanks again. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ordered.

Follow-up post when it arrives and I've tested it out. Maybe by the end of this week.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Arrived today.
First, the good news.

In the box kit, it had everything you could ever need with an Edge 20/25
Two sets of mounts complete with clips and rubber bands of small and large, plus the wrist strap which is brilliant and secure.

Now the bad news.
The wrist strap fits my Edge20 90degs wrong.
If you wear a watch, the 3o'clock and the 9o'clock is in line with your wrist. 12o'clock and 6o'clock is across your wrist.
The Edge20 fits so the top of the screen is in line your wrist.
90degrees out, and because of the way the Edge20 clips in, you can't move it 90degrees ............ only 180degrees.

Any advice here?

Unless I can sort this, it's going back.
Dunno what the little bag of screwdrivers are for, but it's got nothing ........ as far as I can see ........... anything to do with the design of the strap.
Stupid design, unless I'm missing something here.
IMG_0521.jpg
IMG_0522.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall