Where to attach tail/rear light on an L type Brompton ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
snaz

Where to attach tail/rear light on an L type Brompton ?

Postby snaz » 13 Dec 2019, 1:16pm

Hi

I've just bought a cateye omni 5 rear light:
https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/sa ... L-LD155-R/

But i can't figure out where best to attach the light fixture on my L type Brompton's rear end. (L type = mudguard only / no rack)

1. I want to keep the rear reflector that came with the bike. (Looks a bit like 1st photo here:)
https://www.brommiemods.co.uk/?v=79cba1185463
2. I don't want to a-fix the cateye rear light fitting to the seat post because it inhibits retraction. Also i've got a quick release light bar for the post.
3. I want to preserve the saddle rear thread-loops for occasional seat post bag use:
https://wildbounds.com/products/saddle- ... kEQAvD_BwE

So my question is; Is there a light bracket, fixture or securing arrangement people use to get around this problem - where space is tight on the rear end of Bromptons for tail lighting.

Suggests welcome.

thanks s

Brucey

Re: Where to attach tail/rear light on an L type Brompton ?

Postby Brucey » 13 Dec 2019, 1:24pm

under the saddle?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RickH

Postby RickH » 13 Dec 2019, 1:26pm

It looks like it has the square mount common to a number of models. So maybe a Cateye Saddle rail mount?

grufty

Postby grufty » 13 Dec 2019, 2:26pm

I thought Brompton did a rear led light with reflector that fits the standard bracket, or does it have to be the Cateye?

rotavator

Postby rotavator » 13 Dec 2019, 2:36pm

grufty wrote:I thought Brompton did a rear led light with reflector that fits the standard bracket, or does it have to be the Cateye?

+1 although some do not like the light plus reflector being so low.

If it has to be the Cateye, then why not buy a small saddle pack which includes a loop at the back to clip the light into?

snaz

Postby snaz » 13 Dec 2019, 3:34pm

hi
thanks folks

i've bought the cateye omni 5 so to the extent i now have it - seems like i will need to use it.

Re: cateye saddle mount - i really need a system on the saddle where i can attach at any one time a light attachment OR saddle bag - the cateye saddle mount looks like it will annul saddle bag attachment use. - yes i can simply attach it to he saddle bag but when that's not mounted i want to avoid needing to keep taking the fixture on and off and switching between saddle bag and saddle mount

Was wondering if there was some kind of adaptor fitting which might bolt onto the reflector mount and enable a light mount above it or indeed the saddle to enable that described above?

cheers s

grufty

Postby grufty » 13 Dec 2019, 6:05pm

Not sure there's clearance above the reflector for a light when folded.
I had a light behind the saddle attached via bent flat bar, this was pre-pentaclip and I couldn't have used the saddle loops.
I've found over the decades that the official Brompton solutions are often the easiest and possibly cheapest!

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 13 Dec 2019, 7:23pm

I attach my light to the seat post, below the seat pack. Means you can’t quite drop the seat post down as low, but it seems ok and doesn’t otherwise interfere with the fold. I’ve got an M3L.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 13 Dec 2019, 7:44pm

I attach mine to the seatpost, just below the saddle, using the flextight mount - it does double duty as a marker for the height of the seat (telescopic seatpost, upper section)

There aren't too many options - my Brommy has the rear rack, but I feel there's no point mouniting it nthere because its way below eye level for drivers of modern cars where they are sitting high up.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

Bert

Postby Bert » 13 Dec 2019, 11:50pm

Probably shouldn’t say this but on the odd occasions I cycle at night I just wear a Petzl head torch backwards on flashing red. Not the ideal solution but it is high up where it can be seen.