Switching handlebars: Solutions for quick cable interchange

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
snaz

Switching handlebars: Solutions for quick cable interchange

Postby snaz » 15 Dec 2019, 7:19pm

Hi

This might be a long shot and i'm appealing to the imagination or know-how more than anything.

I'm creating about 3 different handlebars i want to be able to switch between on my bike.
Each already has it's break/gear/grip/bell mounted which are mounted in different locations on what are different length handlebars. That said the differences distance wise is relatively close in terms of toleration of a single cable length.

Is there any way i can keep the brake and gear cables which are permanently mounted on the bike frame in place and switch between my handlebars without having to unwire the cables from the actual brake/gear levers ?

Does some kind of adpator/connector/quick attachment fixture exist which would simply allow me to connect a set of short installed cable lengths coming off my handlebar directly with the cables which are secured to the bike frame ?
If not does anyone have the know-how to propose a hack or mod to achieve this ?

i hope that's clear ! Basically i want to just join the ends of cable together in a snap/close/ release mechanism rather than delve into the guts of handlebar levers each time i switch the handlebars.

thanks for your feedback folks - appreciated
sp

fastpedaller

Re: Switching handlebars: Solutions for quick cable interchange

Postby fastpedaller » 15 Dec 2019, 7:28pm

Just have 3 sets of cables that fit their own bars - as long as you have slotted guides its the quickest way.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 15 Dec 2019, 7:43pm

I think what you want doesn't exist mainly due to the fact that it would difficult to design.

It would be easier to have three different bikes.
Mick F. Cornwall

PT1029

Postby PT1029 » 15 Dec 2019, 7:55pm

Moultons have splitable cable inners for when the frame is dismantled into its 2 halves, so these might work? Wouldn't work if you had an enclosed (ie. cable outer) cable for all the length of the cable runs.
If you have flat bars with grips + brake/gear levers at the end :
You could have those clamp on grips (small allen key clamp). Then simply unbolt the grips and levers and transfer over in a jiffy. No cable joining or brake/gear tweeking needed.
Changing a bell over doesn't take long, but you could simply have a bell on each set of bars.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 15 Dec 2019, 8:05pm

The Moulton system could work, but you'd need the braze-ons on the frame and the room away from the frame. Screw units are 10mm thick and 30mm long .............. just measured them. The Moultons have them is the space frame area. I have four on mine.
Two for the derailleurs, one for the SA3sp, and one for the rear brake.

The screw units aren't cheap either at £10 I think - and you'd need eight of them, but instead of having one for the front brake, you could just take the brake off and have one each for the other two handlebars.
Mick F. Cornwall

snaz

Postby snaz » 15 Dec 2019, 8:37pm

hi - thanks - applying you're thinking :

These are the 3 different handlebars
https://www.ergotec.de/en/products/lenk ... -25-4.html
and H & P type:
https://www.bikefolded.com/brompton-s-m ... fferences/

The sizes are quite close but the shapes vary. On the Toulouse i want the swept back grips to house the gear and brake lever.
One of the issues is that the twist gear handle i want to install on the Toulouse has a different end to the Brompton gear lever housing:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sturmey-Arch ... 0625.m3682
and
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/componen ... lsrc=aw.ds
So switching the gear wire between these two isn't an option.

It's this fundamental different which is driving me towards this idea.

My main concern is, in principle can it be achieved and if so how ? So you're mentioning a Moulton system - could you link to that so i can see more clearly what you're referring to ? cheers :)
The suggestion to just unscrew all the levers and grips and transpose them between handlebars may (?) work for the Brompton bars but wont work for the Toulouse vs Brompton interchange as explained.
Hope that helps.
sp

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 15 Dec 2019, 9:31pm

The system you want doesn't really exist.

IMHO if you are talking flat bar brake levers then with most such levers, if they are suitably slotted, the cable can be removed about as easily as any supposedly 'QD' cable system going.

Since the gear shifting is normally incidental rather than fundamental to handlebar function then if you are wanting to compare and contrast handlebars I'd suggest that you mount the shifters onto an accessory mount of some kind and swap them from bar to bar. There would then be no need to disturb the shifter cables (which would frankly be making life unnecessarily difficult for yourself anyway) . Admittedly the shifters wouldn't necessarily be in the perfect position but they could be equally imperfect on each handlebar if you see what I mean.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cycle tramp

Postby cycle tramp » 15 Dec 2019, 9:53pm

H'mmmmm....... personally I'd check the saint john street cycles website, and look for jtek cable splitters. However they'll only work for the inner wires, which potentially means you'll have to mount them along the frame where the exposed cables are.

snaz

Postby snaz » 16 Dec 2019, 12:51pm

THANKS
CABLE SPLITTERS look the way to go

drossall

Postby drossall » 16 Dec 2019, 9:44pm

For brakes, you can normally release the brake with a butterfly or similar arrangement. Then drop the cable out and fit it into the new lever.

All sounds complicated though. Buy three bikes? :D

DNC123

Postby DNC123 » 17 Dec 2019, 7:07am

Middleburn Oilers would solve the problem, or even just plain ordinary outer joiners. Very low tech.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 17 Dec 2019, 8:27am

CX-3 wrote:Middleburn Oilers would solve the problem ......

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/jtek ... ck-3-pack/
They won't disconnect anything though.

Separate subject ...... why THREE in a pack?
Mick F. Cornwall

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 17 Dec 2019, 8:51am

Mick F wrote:
CX-3 wrote:Middleburn Oilers would solve the problem ......

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/jtek ... ck-3-pack/
They won't disconnect anything though.

indeed they won't.

Separate subject ...... why THREE in a pack?

possibly because many bikes are set up as 1x these days?

snaz hasn't said so explicitly, but there is a clue in the types of handlebar; the bike in question is, I think, a Brompton. If so, conventional cable splitters are not going to work; as cycle tramp has pointed out they only do anything useful on inner wires, and there are no bare cable runs to speak of.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tigerbiten

Postby Tigerbiten » 17 Dec 2019, 9:08am

If you do go the cable splitter route then you'll need slotted cable stops so you can also disengage the outers from the frame.

Luck ........... :D