Lezyne Mini GPS Navigation

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Claud

Lezyne Mini GPS Navigation

Postby Claud » 21 Dec 2019, 12:01pm

Does anyone here have a Lezyne Mini? I'm wondering what it's like for navigation? My routes are always planned ahead, so am not bothered about the lack of mapping. I understand it does 'turn-by-turn' navigation, eg. "turn left in 150m". I'm particularly wondering:

- What does it do if you miss a turn?
- Does it deal well with complex junctions? (Eg. road bears round to the right but my route continues directly ahead onto a side road)
- Can it navigate independent of a smart phone, using just a pre-uploaded route? (Sometimes I’ll leave the phone at home, sometimes carry it with GPS switched for good battery life.)
- Is there any limit to the length of route you can upload?

Thanks!

NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Lezyne Mini GPS Navigation

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 21 Dec 2019, 12:44pm

Hi,
Turn by turn notification visually notified you on the screen plus you have options to sound a beep.
Not sure how comprehensive it is but these options can be turned on or off.
Like on my larger unit lezyne, If you just press record and stick it in your pocket, and when you get to your destination press stop, you can upload this to your app/website account, and analyse where are you been how fast you've been how many feet you've climbed et cetera et cetera et cetera.
I said you can turn options on or off on the app or on the unit itself.
If you go to their website you will be able to look at the manual for that unit and it will give you a blow by blow instructions.
On my unit which is the XLGPS biggest and top model, it does re-routing but only if you have paired it with your mobile phone, which means if you go off into town et cetera it will automatically re-route you back to your original course.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 21 Dec 2019, 12:59pm

I imagine it's very similar to my Garmin Edge 20.
Mini GPS only an inch and a half square.

Load the course in, and it'll beep and give countdown distances to the turn. Breadcrumb trail to follow generally.
If you go off course, it beeps at you and the further you go off course, it changes the scale of the "map". Forwards is always up the screen but there's a pointer for North.

It doesn't do "navigation" but points you in the right direction.

I'm more than happy with my Edge 20. It's light and compact, no fuss and bother, and it does what it does very well indeed. No doubt the Lezyne is the same.

I have a much more sophisticated device in the Garmin Montana that I use when I want maps and real navigation.
Mick F. Cornwall

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 21 Dec 2019, 1:17pm

Hi,
If you want mapping, you'll need to go for a larger unit, the XLGPS is 78mil by 54 approximately.
I'm not sure what other units do mapping in the range.
On the XLGPS maximum display is 1.4 miles minimum is 900 feet medium being 0.7 of a mile.

The whole idea about GPS on a pushbike is just giving you the minimum information you need to find your way, with options for notifications et cetera.
For recording your route, or following a loaded route From your mobile, The mobile phone can be simply turned off completely.
These lezyne Units have superior battery length to most other GPS units.
Black and white displays account for this, for everything else just use your mobile.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 21 Dec 2019, 1:24pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: .......... for everything else just use your mobile.
........... that doesn't work with gloves, can't be seen in bright sunshine, isn't ruggedised or waterproof, has poor battery life, can't take AA batteries ................. and therefore not the right tool for the job.
Mick F. Cornwall

nigelnightmare

Postby nigelnightmare » 21 Dec 2019, 11:15pm

Mick F wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: .......... for everything else just use your mobile.
........... that (1) doesn't work with gloves, (2)can't be seen in bright sunshine, (3)isn't ruggedised or waterproof, (4)has poor battery life, can't take AA batteries ................. and therefore not the right tool for the job.

(1)Get special gloves that work with touchscreen phones.
(2)Some can.
(3)Topeak do protective cases & mounts. So do other companies.
(4)Recharge using a dynamo, or use a power pack. No need for AA batteries

And like all multi purpose tools they're not the optimum tool for the job But it does work & most people carry a phone anyway.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 22 Dec 2019, 10:55am

You could be right, but IMHO, a proper Satnav GPS unit designed for outdoor use and bikes is the best thing.
Take a mobile phone as well.
Mick F. Cornwall

gazza_d

Postby gazza_d » 22 Dec 2019, 2:31pm

The navigation on my Lezyne Macro GPS actually works well for point to point.
I've not tried loading in a circular route though.
It uses either the phone app or the website to plan and calculate the route, then pushes the directions as needed to the computer which works well.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 22 Dec 2019, 2:41pm

My Edge 20 will do an out and back, or a circular.
Mick F. Cornwall

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 22 Dec 2019, 4:26pm

The mini like it’s bigger versions when linked with your phone will give you TbT. If you go off route it will tell you so and at this point I find moving to the breadcrumb and you can see yourself getting back to the line, or not.
TbT when the route is created with Lezyne is usually not too bad but I’ve found some imported tcx files to have a lot of nonsense in them and at which point you find following the breadcrumb is a lot more useful.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Claud

Postby Claud » 23 Dec 2019, 7:24pm

Paulatic wrote:The mini like it’s bigger versions when linked with your phone will give you TbT. If you go off route it will tell you so and at this point I find moving to the breadcrumb and you can see yourself getting back to the line, or not.
TbT when the route is created with Lezyne is usually not too bad but I’ve found some imported tcx files to have a lot of nonsense in them and at which point you find following the breadcrumb is a lot more useful.

Thanks, Paulatic. Helpful tip on switching to breadcrumbs.
And if I leave my phone at home, you're saying the Mini can't navigate by TbT, or can't navigate at all? The latter at least would be a show-stopper.
And any limit to the length of route you can upload?

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 23 Dec 2019, 7:33pm

Claud wrote:
Paulatic wrote:The mini like it’s bigger versions when linked with your phone will give you TbT. If you go off route it will tell you so and at this point I find moving to the breadcrumb and you can see yourself getting back to the line, or not.

Thanks, Paulatic. Helpful tip on switching to breadcrumbs.
And if I leave my phone at home, you're saying the Mini can't navigate by TbT, or can't navigate at all? The latter at least would be a show-stopper.
And any limit to the length of route you can upload?

You need a phone to send the route to the unit. Whether it’s gpx or tcx.
If you go off route it can’t find you another route if there is no phone connected. All your planned saved routes will be on your phone not the device.
I’ve not discovered any limit to length of route. As you are thinking of the mini with only ten hours battery life then at my speed it wouldn’t be over a hundred miles anyway. :D
I’ve had the Super and currently use the MegaXL whose battery lasts for days.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 23 Dec 2019, 7:49pm

Hi,
https://www.lezyne.com/downloads/Mini-M ... al_R11.pdf
2019-12-23_194212.jpg

Once you load the route to your GPS, you don't need the mobile at all..............but if you go off course it will not reroute you, if you stay on the screen then you can find you way back.
Turn by turn feature appears to only work with the app active?
Turn by turn will also consume more battery power especially if the speaker is on.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 23 Dec 2019, 8:02pm

Hi,
Not sure how much you are spending but XL GPS can be had for £150 or £125 from us on ebay,
Basic unit comes with rubber band mounts I think?
I went for the superior battery life.
On record mode only it might last the 48 hrs they advertise.
I was using mine daily for 16 hrs routing with night light in the dark and never went flat.

peterh11

Postby peterh11 » 24 Dec 2019, 11:29am

I have been using the Super GPS unit for about 2.5 years, which I believe is functionally similar with larger screen and longer battery life. I’m pleased with it. I’ve used it to navigate round a 100km plus route a number of times, and recorded over a hundred rides. It also connects well with a Bluetooth low energy heart rate monitor. The battery life is certainly close to what is claimed.

Some tips from my experience:

It is designed to work together with a phone. While you are riding and recording and/or following directions the phone doesn’t seem to do anything (battery doesn’t run down any quicker than normal) but as commented above, you would need the phone to plot a new route or anything.

I always take my phone with me on a ride, in case of breakdown or the need to consult a proper map (have OS maps on the device as well as usual web mapping apps), so for me having some functions delivered this way is fine. Benefits include notifications of text messages, whatsapp etc on the GPS screen as you ride with the first few words; also you can use the live tracking to allow someone at home to see where you are (make sure phone is close to the computer for this as it is very sensitive to losing connection even for a short interval - other functions have no problem with this) which is nice when out on my own.

For creating routes, the Lezyne web site works but is a bit clunky. For any complex or long rides, I normally create a route on Ride with GPS since that is better for editing the actual route, save that as a TCX on to my computer, upload to the Lezyne web site, and edit the text in the directions there as well as deleting unwanted directions, which is very easy once you’ve got the hang of it. In response to the question about tricky junctions, it can be confusing, but you can easily change the instructions and add extra guidance, such as swapping “turn left” for “keep left” or changing the road name to be something like “second left towards XXX”.

I did have a few issues with connectivity to the phone earlier this year, but Lezyne support helped and these seem to be fixed.

Any more questions, do ask and I’ll try and help.

Peter H