Lezyne Mini GPS Navigation

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Claud

Re: Lezyne Mini GPS Navigation

Postby Claud » 26 Dec 2019, 1:00pm

Thanks folks. Nice to see the manual - which confirms functionlity is same across devices (although focuses on how they work with the phone app, not if they work without it). And v helpful to know the turn-by-turn instructions can be edited at home pre-ride.

I much prefer to carry just my tiny Nokia brick on a ride where I roughly know the area or am with others. If I'm solo in unfamiliar territory, I'd take my smart phone but with GPS off to conserve phone batt life.

So as I understand your replies: I can upload a route at home, head-off without a smart phone and get TbT nav, but it won't reroute me if off-course, so instead I'd just retrace the last few 100yds and use the breadcrumb thing to get back on track (which sounds fine).

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 26 Dec 2019, 2:58pm

Hi,
I read the manual as it "needs" the phone for turn by turns?
I have used my satnav and mobile for turn by turns but normally turn off "turn by turns" as I just look at the outline map (XL GPS) top save battery.
I need to try it out next ride or even in the car when we go out to see that turn by turns works without the mobile?

I don't own another smaller sat nav like the mini so I am not sure the prime view for navigation?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 27 Dec 2019, 8:55am

I’m sure I’ve used TbT without the phone being connected. Like NA I’ll go and trial it and report back.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 27 Dec 2019, 2:52pm

Report back
I made a route with phone sent it to device. Left phone in shed and followed a perfect TbT route complete with all advanced warnings. even telling me I was off route at the end.
To qualify this was with a MegaXL but I’m certain I did it with the Super too. One advancement is the Mega produced an arrow pointing in direction to get back on route.
Another observation is I’m sure route planning is a lot better than it was 3 years ago.

peterh11

Postby peterh11 » 28 Dec 2019, 8:36am

Paulatic wrote:Report back
I made a route with phone sent it to device. Left phone in shed and followed a perfect TbT route complete with all advanced warnings. even telling me I was off route at the end.
To qualify this was with a MegaXL but I’m certain I did it with the Super too. One advancement is the Mega produced an arrow pointing in direction to get back on route.
Another observation is I’m sure route planning is a lot better than it was 3 years ago.

Thanks for doing that and posting the result. I knew that that this is *supposed* to work like that, but normally I don’t go anywhere without my (smart) phone. As I wrote earlier, as long as you don’t use one of the features requiring active input from the phone (say Lezyne Track) but just record the ride and follow a preloaded route, then the phone doesn’t seem to do anything extra while you ride, so the battery doesn’t run down any quicker than usual.

My impression also is that the route planning and following has improved - Lezyne does issue pretty regular software/firmware updates which I think contain improvements.

Cheers
Peter H

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 28 Dec 2019, 12:51pm

Hi,
Lezyne support are first class and work hard to sort all issues, as far as I can tell.

So, you don't need your mobile after loading course for turn by turn notifications on screen?
Like Paulatic etc, I have a XL GPS which uses a map (outline of roads and paths etc, no text), its easy to go off course and find your way back if you stay on the map.
Paulatic also mentions that if he goes off course an arrow direct him back, I know that the rerouting works like that (turn around etc if you are going backwards) I seem to remember that you needed your mobile for rerouting ( I need to look at what defines rerouting in manual?)
I mainly use my unit for recording training rides on the unit and I don't take mobile with me, well not a smart one, never upload to strava etc, just my lezyne account.
I see maybe the software has added extra functionality since I last used it for finding my way, though I did not use turn by turn that time.

Going back to the mini, it has no map? so it would have to work on turn by turn instructions and offline too?

I M.O. the lezyne XL GPS is all you need for a navigation unit to find your way even in the dark, but it does that only, for everything else use your mobile.
I don't find that the unit is sealed with battery a negative feature, it charges whilst using it if you have a power bank, Its possible that if the battery failed that it might continue to work with external supply too, it charges as well as stays operational too.

Claud

Postby Claud » 31 Dec 2019, 3:51pm

Fantastic - thanks for taking the time to do the test, Paulatic. (Sorry for slow reply - been offline at the outlaws for a few days.)

To NA: The manual tells us functionality is same across the Micro, Mini, Macro & Super. Also, I can't see the TbT software being any different in the XL, and Paulatic confirms that too. And yep, I'd thought to bring a small power bank if/when I have another go at a 200k ride :) .

peterh11 wrote:Any more questions, do ask and I’ll try and help.

Cheers - two last questions (more general ones):
- Is average speed computed from data only when the bike is moving, ie. ignores times when stopped briefly?
- I've read that while riding, GPS devices (not specifically Lezyne) often record "rogue GPS points that need cleaning before analysing post-ride stats". Is that also an issue with the Lezynes? I'm used a simple wired Cateye to get my elapsed time and average immediately - upload & cleaning would be a faff for everyday rides.

Happy New Year :)

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 31 Dec 2019, 4:34pm

Avg speed from time moving is correct. Don’t worry about switching it off if going to be stopped a long time. Lezyne detects it’s not needed and goes into a 'low power' mode saving battery. I take mine off and put it into a bag on the bike if I’m wandering around a town or attraction. Switching it off would end the ride at that point.
Also I’ve never had any of these rogue points so often seen in Garmin rides on Strava.

peterh11

Postby peterh11 » 31 Dec 2019, 8:26pm

Claud wrote:Fantastic - thanks for taking the time to do the test, Paulatic. (Sorry for slow reply - been offline at the outlaws for a few days.)

To NA: The manual tells us functionality is same across the Micro, Mini, Macro & Super. Also, I can't see the TbT software being any different in the XL, and Paulatic confirms that too. And yep, I'd thought to bring a small power bank if/when I have another go at a 200k ride :) .

peterh11 wrote:Any more questions, do ask and I’ll try and help.

Cheers - two last questions (more general ones):
- Is average speed computed from data only when the bike is moving, ie. ignores times when stopped briefly?
- I've read that while riding, GPS devices (not specifically Lezyne) often record "rogue GPS points that need cleaning before analysing post-ride stats". Is that also an issue with the Lezynes? I'm used a simple wired Cateye to get my elapsed time and average immediately - upload & cleaning would be a faff for everyday rides.

Happy New Year :)

In case you have’t found it: there is an auto-pause option on the device. Go into the menu on the device or More - GPS Settings - General in the app and it is there under “Auto”. This causes the device to stop recording more points when it detects that you have stopped moving. Walking pace still counts as moving, mind! If you have this On, then the average speed is for when the bike is moving only (“moving average”). If set to Off, it is the average speed through the whole elapsed time of the recorded ride.

As Paulatic wrote, the device goes into a low power mode when paused, so for a cafe stop on auto-pause I don’t usually touch it.

You can manually pause it also - do a long press on the Lap button on the device same as if about to save the ride, and the menu includes pause/resume options.

I have never noticed a problem with rogue GPS points. Upload is easy with the phone app - any required cleanup seems to be done automatically for you. You only get access to the full data if you upload to Lezyne’s web site (“cloud”), including the ability to save a GPX on your computer. If you have uploaded to the cloud then pressing on a row in the app (e.g. “Speed”) shows you the chart of the recorded data, and though you cannot zoom in on it like you can on the web site, if you hold the phone landscape it is a reasonable display (at least on my iPhone 6 it is).

I have noticed that once a ride has been completed, saved and uploaded to the Lezyne web site, that the average speed is updated, usually it gets slightly lower (small difference, so not a worry for me). This may be because the algorithm used on the web site is slightly different, I could imagine they use some smoothing and extra processing which would take too much power to do during the ride, and maybe automatically finding and removing bad data.

The actual speed during the ride can also be a bit off but I assume this is just GPS signal and it usually happens under tree cover or between buildings. I guess this could happen with any GPS device. It recovers no problem and the recorded route always seems right.

I recorded some rides with both the Lezyne and the Cateye which it replaced, and saw that the distance and average speeds were within 1% of each other, so at that point I retired the Cateye.

You do need to use the phone to re-compute a route, can’t say for sure if it can get you back on to a route without (as I wrote before, I always carry my phone with me). The breadcrumb display on the device shows you which way you are off the route, I didn’t need to look at the phone last time I strayed!

Happy New Year and happy riding in 2020!

PeterH

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 31 Dec 2019, 9:12pm

Hi,
If you don't use auto pause then as soon as you stop your average will drop off.
On the stats online you have elapsed time (ride time) and total time which includes pause time.
If you want to lollop around town gazing in windows of ladies fashion then manual pause :P

Happy new year

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 31 Dec 2019, 9:37pm

I can’t agree with you there NA.
I’ve never ever used the pause option.
eg this ride would have been a lot less than ten if it included an hour and half in the cafe.
61F238A4-5FE2-4647-BD39-F241DE9A2DAA.png
Off road to soup

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 31 Dec 2019, 9:38pm

Are there any cy ling stand alone GPS units?

Like say a car GPS where you can input start and destination and it will direct you.

The pc / phone to GPS seems a bit of a fiddle.

Perhaps I should get a high phone capacity and use that however large batteries are usually large screened which is a large chunk of power.

Cheers James

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 31 Dec 2019, 11:35pm

Hi,
Paulatic wrote:I can’t agree with you there NA.
I’ve never ever used the pause option.
eg this ride would have been a lot less than ten if it included an hour and half in the cafe.
61F238A4-5FE2-4647-BD39-F241DE9A2DAA.png

You may well be correct.
I have not had a chance to try out new software, and added things like that may well not be on a new added features list anywhere?
Interesting to know.
So if you got off your bike and walked around how did it know you were walking not cycling?

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 31 Dec 2019, 11:56pm

Hi,
P.S.
If you run into trouble with your device and assuming that software is shared across several devices.
See manual and see- Resetting Device, Bootloader and Factory Default.

I have already said that The support crew are good.
In the past I have had problems, minor screen distortion / missing functions etc.
So I reverted to an old version software.
Until they had fixed it.
Resetting Device, does not require connection hard wire to a computer.
If you get minor dysfunction of unit try resetting device, I forgot this on my last tour when peripheral of map started to disappear, resetting corrected this, although support recognised and fixed it in new software, this was a few versions back.

peterh11

Postby peterh11 » 1 Jan 2020, 7:47am

Jamesh wrote:Are there any cy ling stand alone GPS units?

Like say a car GPS where you can input start and destination and it will direct you.

The pc / phone to GPS seems a bit of a fiddle.

Perhaps I should get a high phone capacity and use that however large batteries are usually large screened which is a large chunk of power.

Cheers James

The Garmin GPS units have route planning, so you can create a route right on the device. However, I notice that my fellow club members in our local group who have these normally plan their routes on their laptop or desktop computers and then download them on to the device. My impression is that it is fiddly to do on the GPS unit and if you let it plot a route from start to end automatically the results are often not ideal - it will get you there but may route you along a main road if shorter.

That is partly why I decided on a Lezyne. Compared to the Garmin units at a similar price, the process of creating a route seemed to be certainly no worse - sounds easier from conversations with club mates but I don’t have direct experience - and you get other advantages like longer battery life. Downloading routes on to the unit and saving ride data is very straightforward through the app on my iPhone.

They chose to go full bore on the smartphone integration which suits me very well, and I think was the right thing to do given the small size of these GPS units. Also, the Lezyne web site lets you upload a TCX, again their approach is to focus on the device and integrate with existing software/web solutions rather than duplicate. So you can easily get a route from a full featured planning site such as Ride with GPS on to your phone and use it on the GPS unit.

PeterH