Puncture resistant tyres for my road bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hatt55

Puncture resistant tyres for my road bike

Post by hatt55 »

Hi All,

I bought a second-hand road bike (a Felt F95) a few months ago but haven't really had much of an opportunity to use it until just recently. So, with a bit of time off over the Christmas week I've really enjoyed getting out and about on something a bit lighter and faster than my hybrid bike. But, part way through my second ride today I got a puncture which scuppered things. Admittedly, I was totally unprepared: I'm a long-time city cyclist and get everywhere on my hybrid bike but it's fitted with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. I've had 2-3 punctures in about 5 years and am not in the habit of carrying a spare inner tube.

I've currently got what I think are fairly standard 'slick' tyres (my friend sold me the bike and it was set up by them, so not sure exactly what they are). My first thought having got home today - aside from carrying a spare! - was to get some Marathon Plus tyres for this bike too. Presumably they will be a bit heavier and the speed will be slightly reduced compared to standard road tyres, but for someone like me who is so used to being on a heavier hybrid bike I'm not sure if I'll notice. It might be worth the trade off so that I don't have to worry about getting a puncture, and trying to sort it out, in the middle of nowhere.

Are there any other similar tyres that people would recommend beyond the Schwalbe? Or, any reason that I wouldn't want to take this approach - would it make that much of a difference not to have the lighter tyres?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
Mike_Ayling

Re: Puncture resistant tyres for my road bike

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Have a look at Schwalbe Marathon Supremes, lighter than the Marathons.

Mike
dim

Post by dim »

Schwalbe Durano Plus in 25mm (I don't think that 28mm will fit your frame)
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Gatorskins.

Wiggle Kevlar tyres at £10 each not had a puncture yet in 3 pairs and 3000miles still life in them despite doing lejog on a race pair.

Cheers James
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Schwalbe Durano plus are absolutely bomb proof, but seriously dead feeling. I’m currently using Hutchinson Equinox, they are pretty good from the puncture protection point of view, and not too dead feeling, they’re easier to get on and off the rims than the D+ as well. I’ve also got 1 wheelset on Tannus Aither 25mm airless tyres. They can’t puncture, but they do take a bit of getting used to. I completed a 3 day 286 mile charity ride with them, a couple of years ago, and they worked well.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

hatt55 wrote:Are there any other similar tyres that people would recommend beyond the Schwalbe?

No.

Happy Christmas.

Jonathan
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

Tyres are a very personal choice, one rider may swear by a tyre that on the same type of bike another may swear because they hate it. "I like these tyres because they are so puncture resistant" versus "they felt so slow and dead to ride I hated them". For sure it comes down to perception, some riders are more 'in tune' with their bikes of course; a subtle change may be a 'deal breaking difference' to one rider and yet make 'no difference' to another.

On a bike like the Felt F95 for me personally a popular choice for the winter would be something that offers puncture resistance without effecting the performance to much. I like a tyre along the lines of a Continental Gator skin (link is a review on my own blog), for me tyres like that offer a good balance of puncture resistance, grip, durability and rolling resistance. When those tyres finally wore out I replaced them with Bontrager AW2 tyres, in many ways their version of the Gator Skin; I have been happy with both and would buy them again.

There are many other popular choices for that type of tyre as that category is well catered for, many use their fast summer bike all year and want something more resilient in the winter as a result, others that spring to mind include the Schwalbe Durano plus, Specialized Armadillo and Vittoria Rubino to name just a few
Last edited by Paul Smith SRCC on 25 Dec 2019, 11:20am, edited 4 times in total.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

On the grounds that ANY will succumb some time I go for easiest go get off/on with cold wet hands when they do! And carry two tubes and half a dozen gas canisters.
Marcus Aurelius

One thing I would definitely advise, is to steer well clear of Gatorskins. They’re known as ‘Skaterskins’ for a reason. At this time of year, they are not a great idea, in my experience. I’ve had all sorts of major issues with pretty much all offerings from Continental, to be honest. There are some pretty good tyres out there, it is very much down to personal preference.
Marcus Aurelius

djnotts wrote:On the grounds that ANY will succumb some time I go for easiest go get off/on with cold wet hands when they do! And carry two tubes and half a dozen gas canisters.

Absolutely, very well worth remembering, unless you’re on Tannus Aithers, then you don’t need any tubes, levers, pumps, gas, or anything else.
dim

Post by dim »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
djnotts wrote:On the grounds that ANY will succumb some time I go for easiest go get off/on with cold wet hands when they do! And carry two tubes and half a dozen gas canisters.

Absolutely, very well worth remembering, unless you’re on Tannus Aithers, then you don’t need any tubes, levers, pumps, gas, or anything else.

yea, but you need to have your teeth fillings replaced, and you have to always wear a bib and also always have to carry Chamois cream
joshua3

Post by joshua3 »

I've just changed from 23mm Gatorskins to 25mm Schwalbe Marathon pluses having been impressed with them in a bigger size on my mtb. The ride feels improved to me, more surefooted which is more important than a slight decrease in speed that I am not sure I can really notice.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:One thing I would definitely advise, is to steer well clear of Gatorskins. They’re known as ‘Skaterskins’ for a reason. At this time of year, they are not a great idea, in my experience.

Entirely agree. I fitted some and thought I had lost my nerve. In comparison to absolutely everything else I have tried in the last 20 years they made the bike feel like a shopping trolley. Replaced with Grand Prix GT and much happier.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
hatt55

Post by hatt55 »

Thanks everyone - and merry Christmas!

Some really useful suggestions to follow up on. Having something a bit grippier would probably suit me. It might just be that I'm not used to a road bike, but I've certainly felt a little bit nervous going round corners etc. in this wet weather. The existing tyres (which I've checked and are Continental Ultra Sports) haven't actually slipped, but I might be more confident with something more robust.

A few people have mentioned that certain tyres can seem 'dead' to ride - bit of a novice on the terminology, put presumably that's just about the feel of the bike on the road?

As an aside, really looking forward to getting out on this bike a bit more. My hybrid is a complete workhorse and does a fantastic job of getting me and far too much luggage from A to B whilst I'm in the city. But, the thought of having something faster and lighter for some weekend cycles into the countryside is really appealing.