Stuck seat posts, industrial service?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Stuck seat posts, industrial service?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Could a seat post be fitted with an expander bolt, like a stem?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

alexnharvey wrote:Have any greasers or anti-seizers had a stuck post while using those methods?
Not me, never.

Not even as a kid, or as a youth. Mind you, in those days the seatposts were chromed steel.

It's an alu post in a steel tube that's the worst - dissimilar metals and all that. I served in the RN for a time on an alu frigate, and we had terrible problems with steel/alu interfaces.

Back to the OP question though. As we've agreed(?) it's a matter of prevention being better than cure, but there must be an outlet for someone to make some money out of this.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

[youtube][/youtube]
Cyril Haearn wrote:Could a seat post be fitted with an expander bolt, like a stem?

Campag and others made them in the past but they never caught on.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=acti ... G3S8UaM%3A
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Could a seat post be fitted with an expander bolt, like a stem?

This only leads to making the problem worse...… With an expander it will inevitably expand the seatpin at its lower end, which means its trying to expand (and probably will) the thin seat tube. At least with the clamp at the top of the tube ( sometimes reinforced with a lug) the tube is slotted (and drilled at end of slot) - correctly designed to be used for clamping.
Other methods, such as a captive thread on the seatube, with an allen key used to 'secure' the seatpin have been tried - the pin in tube method has probably persisted for so many years because it works!
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

IMV stuck seatposts have become more prevalent because people have become pampered/lazy/bone idle= no maintenance,

and then when things go wrong "there MUST be a better way of doing it" or "It's obviously faulty", and blame the designer/manufacturer/seller.
It's always someone else's fault. :roll:

In general people need to start taking responsibility for their own actions or inactions.
In the case of stuck seat posts.
If you (the owner/operator) don't check & move it on a regular basis it will seize!

As "Mick F" says it only takes a minute to check, lube & adjust.

JMTPW
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Could a seat post be fitted with an expander bolt, like a stem?

Some comments here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=123718&hilit=quill+seatpost
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

My seat post is stuck on my Cannondale at my height so who cares....

If someone nicks it I'll be gutted for sentimental reasons as I've rode it a long way and also lent it to by dad on occasions.

If they do they will find they have stolen a dud as it will be hard to sell on with a stuck seat post not to mention the hundreds of paint chips and various sticky fixers for removable additions!!

Cheers James
pwa

Post by pwa »

Jamesh wrote:My seat post is stuck on my Cannondale at my height so who cares....

If someone nicks it I'll be gutted for sentimental reasons as I've rode it a long way and also lent it to by dad on occasions.

If they do they will find they have stolen a dud as it will be hard to sell on with a stuck seat post not to mention the hundreds of paint chips and various sticky fixers for removable additions!!

Cheers James

Trouble is, if you ever get a new saddle it may well have a different rail-saddle top height.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Jamesh wrote:My seat post is stuck on my Cannondale at my height so who cares....
You would care if you wanted new pedals and they had a different stack height. Maybe even new shoes could change the saddle-height requirement, let alone a new saddle!

As I said, I changed my pedals, and I had to lower the saddle by nearly half an inch.

Once or twice, I've fitted "normal" pedals for everyday shoes. They lifted the stack height as it was weird pedalling without lifting the saddle.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Possibly but my go to spa leather saddle is just about worn in over several 1000 miles and I have several rolls turbo saddles too which are a similar height.

As for shoes my Shimano spd shoes are as tough as old boots, I'd love to change them for a newer racier pair of shoes but they do the job!!

Cheers James
PH

Post by PH »

alexnharvey wrote:Have any greasers or anti-seizers had a stuck post while using those methods?

I've never had anything seize on a bike.
My most used bike gets a full service twice a year, my others once, seatpost out*, cleaned, copper slip and back at the right torque, it's not a big job.

*While the post, BB and forks are out, I'll have a look down the tubes with a torch to see if there's any signs of corrosion. Then leave it suspended upside down on the stand in front of a radiator to dry out any moisture.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PH wrote:*While the post, BB and forks are out, I'll have a look down the tubes with a torch to see if there's any signs of corrosion. Then leave it suspended upside down on the stand in front of a radiator to dry out any moisture.
I do that too.

Also spayed in Waxoyl.
Mick F. Cornwall
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

I can vouch for the services of John The Seatpost Man. I manage to get a post stuck in a Moulton frameset and nothing would budge it.
I ended up sending it to him and he removed it quickly. Must be witchcraft
The biggest hassle was finding a courier who would touch a boxed cycle frame. A lot won't, presumably because of damage potential to expensive frame when they chuck the parcels around