Brompton folding pedal

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nomisp

Brompton folding pedal

Postby nomisp » 6 Jan 2020, 10:41pm

Hi. having problems removing left hand folding pedal from 2014 Brompton, it is just not moving . Could it have been factory assembled using a thread lock liquid ? I have a replacement pedal to fit on it and using that mounting bolt tells me to undo it you unscrew it clock wise. Would it be a good idea to remove crank and mount that in a vice and try and remove that way or could I apply some heat to crank area near to the bolt ? Currently soaking it overnight in penetrating oil .

Brucey

Re: Brompton folding pedal

Postby Brucey » 6 Jan 2020, 11:40pm

it is a left handed thread so yes, the bolt unscrews clockwise. The threads on pedals are handed so that they self-tighten -or at least don't unscrew- as you go along. Pedals can also corrode in situ. IME there is sod-all grease on the pedal threads (or indeed almost any threaded part) of bromptons as they leave the factory. It isn't a bad idea to take them apart and assemble them properly if you don't want parts to seize up.

If a pedal is tight you often need some kind of a tool that is 18" long or more to unscrew them. You can normally use such a tool at least as easily when the pedal is on the bike, so no need to take the crank off.

For tight LH Brompton pedals I use a 1/2" drive breaker bar (about 2' long) and an allen key bit. The whole lot is rated to at least 300ftlbs, at which point they usually come out. You will need to bear a good portion your bodyweight on the pedal (at the 9 o'clock position as viewed from the left side of the bike) as you lean on the breaker bar (at about the two o'clock position).

If you don't have a long allen key tool, you may be able to make do with a length of steel tube over the end of a standard allen key.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gattonero

Postby Gattonero » 7 Jan 2020, 8:03am

Brompton pedals are assembled with Castrol grease which is not exactly "sod-all" (in fact, you can often see grease spilling form the inside of the crank) so what's happening is the usual binding that happens when parts have been tight in place for long time.

The problem you are having, is that purchase can be difficult due to the recessed bolt, and even more if the pedal bolt is the old type that requires a 24mm socket.
You will need a shallow socket (good shops have one that is ground down to leave a mere 1/2" depth) to prevent twisting, and you want to use the longest leverage you can get: remove the Rh pedal and fit an old large pipe on the crank (wrap it with a rag) and get a friend to hold it steady, while you have a 2ft bar with the socket (or a GOOD 8mm allen bit, if it's a newer pedal) and you move counter-clockwise.
Ideally, you have your friend holding the Rh crank horizontal and facing the front wheel, you have the LH crank facing the back wheel, and the bike is steady on the floor.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 7 Jan 2020, 9:33am

Gattonero wrote:Brompton pedals are assembled with Castrol grease which is not exactly "sod-all" ....

that is not what I've seen; bone dry is the usual thing.

cheers

Gattonero

Postby Gattonero » 7 Jan 2020, 2:14pm

Brucey wrote:
Gattonero wrote:Brompton pedals are assembled with Castrol grease which is not exactly "sod-all" ....

that is not what I've seen; bone dry is the usual thing.

cheers

See my other post about the Brompton stem
Thankfully there's been over 1/2 million of Brompton bikes (including mine) that are not built as you say. Unless everyone else is wrong... :wink:

FWIW, in the last year they have changed to a different grease, yellow-honey in colour and somewhat thinner texture, time will tell if works as good as the Castrol grease that was used before.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 7 Jan 2020, 5:42pm

on the few occasions I have found enough grease in Brompton parts it has been all different colours, presumably having been put there sometime after the bike left the factory.

When the OP gets the pedal out he can tell us whether it is typical of what you have seen or I have seen.

cheers

nomisp

Postby nomisp » 7 Jan 2020, 10:59pm

Hi. thanks for all the above advice . The pedal is finally off !!! In the end I lay the bike on "workmate " table with the crank being gripped in the jaws , I then used a 2' breaker bar with a 1/2" socket with a 6mm Hex key try to undo the pedal bolt. I am sure the youtube videos I watched the bolt came out by unscrewing clockwise but after a lot of pulling and head scratching nothing was moving . Then looking at the threads on show at the back of the crank I realised that all that time I had been trying to tighten it and not undo it . After applying a little pressure anticlockwise the bolt started to move and came out with no damage to threads. All is now good and new pedal fitted this time with a small smear of coppergrease. All good now, again many thanks . Nomisp

nomisp

Postby nomisp » 7 Jan 2020, 11:03pm

No threadlock or any grease used on the threads at all . I did send a query to Brompton about the problem and they did reply with some good advice but no mention of the need to unscrew it anticlockwise . Nomisp

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 7 Jan 2020, 11:43pm

Brucey wrote:it is a left handed thread so yes, the bolt unscrews clockwise...……... You will need to bear a good portion your bodyweight on the pedal (at the 9 o'clock position as viewed from the left side of the bike) as you lean on the breaker bar (at about the two o'clock position).....

so anticlockwise as viewed from the left side of the bike.

Presumably you were working with the small allen key socket on the back of the crank.

Possibly the confusion has arisen because current/recent Brompton folding pedals have a large allen key socket on the left and a small one on the right. Older Brompton folding pedals use a large hexagon (for which you need a large socket) on the left. I would always suggest that you use the larger fitting to unscrew the pedal; the 6mm allen key socket is not able to withstand as high a torque as is sometimes required.

http://www.sjscycles.com/Instructions/Brompton/Brompton_Folding_Pedal_Instructions.pdf

Indicates that on the left side of the pedal you can use
- a 24mm socket (pre 2012)
- an 8mm allen key (2012-on)
- a 10mm allen key (early Brompton Ti models)

a 6mm allen key fits into the right of the pedal (i.e. working from the back of the crank)

cheers