Front Mudguard query

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
slowster

Re: Front Mudguard query

Post by slowster »

mjr wrote:What criminal offence do you think may be committed by sale of these racks?

Breach of Section 6 of the Health and Safety at Work Act:
It shall be the duty of any person who undertakes the design or manufacture of any article for use at work to carry out or arrange for the carrying out of any necessary research with a view to the discovery and, so far as is reasonably practicable, the elimination or minimisation of any risks to health or safety to which the design or article may give rise.

Although the wording of the Act does not use the phrase 'risk assessment', it neverthless effectively requires any manufacturer or designer of goods for use at work (and the gym in that respect is a workplace, as opposed to being a domestic residence) to undertake a risk assessment of the items they make/design to eliminate/minimise to an acceptable level any reasonably foreseeable risks to health and safety.

This is a fairly general duty, and more recent legislation, especially Regulations enacted under the Health and Safety at Work Act such as the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regs and the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regs (PUWER) are more specific in requiring risk assessments. PUWER also ties in with the general regime of product safety legislation (see here for more detail and background).

It's more straightforward if there is a specific BS EN standard which covers a particular product category (e.g. jigsaws) or general classes of product (e.g. woodworking machinery), since they will specify what safety devices that product or class of product must have. So I think that (thanks in no small part to Chris Juden) somewhere in the BS EN standards for bicycles will be the requirement for front mudguards to have a safety release. Putting a product on the market that does not comply with the specific BS EN safety standards for that product is an offence.

I think there is no BS EN standard for cycle racks, and if there is it probably addresses things like bike spacing etc., rather than the safety issue posed by this particular rack. In other words, it's such an inherently stupid design that up till now no one would have thought it necessary to prohibit or restrict it in a BS EN standard (which is how a lot of specific safety legislation happens - something is not mentioned specifically until people are killed or hurt by it, and which point it gets covered by legislation and/or mentioned specifically in the relevant BS EN standard).

In conclusion, where there is no specific requirement for a particular safety feature or design in a BS EN standard, the more general duty to undertake a risk assessment and try to identify and eliminate/mitigate reasonably foreseeable risks will apply, e.g. as above under the Health and Safety at Work Act. This general duty can be harder for Trading Standards to enforce and prosecute compared with a breach involving a specific requirement in a BS EN standard, but it should still be possible, e.g. by pointing out the known danger of front mudguards jamming. Moreover, when people start drawing the attention of the company to the risk, they will not be able to rely on the defence that someone being killed or injured by one of their racks damaging a person's front mudguard was not reasonably foreseeable.

My own personal view is a.) the probability of death/serious injury is so high with a damaged front mudguard, and b.) these racks are so likely to cause such damage, that this is a product which Trading Standards should require to be withdrawn from general* sale.

* I say general sale because there will be some customers for whom it might be suitable, e.g. according to their Twitter page a cycle shop (Temple Cycles) has purchased the racks, and I imagine they are ideal for a bike shop with a lot of mudguardless bikes to display/store.
Last edited by slowster on 8 Jan 2020, 2:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

mcshroom wrote:Another thought I have is that you may be able to fit SKS chromoplastics with the breakaway clips, and then 'pop' the clips open before sliding the rack into the gap between guard and wheel. I don't know whether that would work or not without seeing the rack itself though, as the rack might be too wide.

I think the stays would prevent any attempt to thread the end of the "rack" between the 'guard and the tyre.

However, popping the stays out of the Secu-clips of SKS Chromoplastic mudguards would allow the mudguard to be pushed hard against the tyre with minimal distortion.
I would imagine that the first irritation would be the secu-clip itself wearing with the stays being pulled out regularly and giving rise to rattles (replacement clips ~£2/pair).
mjr

Post by mjr »

LondonNewbie wrote:My gym has vertical bike racks, like these: https://www.cyclehoop.com/product/racks/vertical-rack/

The reply from cyclehoop is:
https://mobile.twitter.com/cyclehoop/status/1214932265685393410 wrote:You can't securely lock your bike to the Vertical Bike Rack so it wouldn't be suitable for public use.

Maybe you could show the gym this advice from the rack maker and ask them to fit some bike racks that allow secure locking? Even the semi-verticals from the same maker look better and don't take up much more space (cyclehoop recommend 3.1m from wall instead of 2.4m for the verticals).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

You are never going to get those (Op's pic) working with any mudguards worth having. Even the detachable mudguards are a bit of a faff to put on and take off, and where do you store them at the gym?
LondonNewbie

Post by LondonNewbie »

Thanks for all the replies. The issue at the gym is space for bike racks - so even the semi-vertical ones wouldn't fit in the space available. As you can imagine, quite a few of us cycle in in the mornings. I am going to get some new mudguards (as my front one is now u/s) and park my bike inside the gym until someone tells me not to. Alternatively, I have actually just bought a secure chain lock which was intended for home use, but maybe I can find a lamppost to adopt as my own gym bike parking space.
mjr

Post by mjr »

LondonNewbie wrote:Thanks for all the replies. The issue at the gym is space for bike racks - so even the semi-vertical ones wouldn't fit in the space available. As you can imagine, quite a few of us cycle in in the mornings.

And do none of you want to lock your bikes securely? :shock:

If there's really not the extra 70cm for semi-vertical, then I guess wall anchors, wall hooks and stacking bikes is the only secure option, but that'll get annoying quick. You could even use your chain to the stupid vertical rack as a wall anchor to make the point...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

How about asking them to replace one of the racks with a simple planet x bike hook ?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOTERBSR/jobsworth-steel-wall-mounted-bike-hanger-(fixed-hook)

But there will be nothing to lock bike to, but this true also of the existing rack.